Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Narrow necks have caused me to disregard so many beautiful guitars. It's been a problem my whole guitar-playing life. I know the standard answer is "Man, don't be so anal, it's all about the music, get over it", blah blah blah. But I just can't play comfortably when my fingers are all bundled up. I've always worked on having my thumb in a more classical position (close to center back), so I'm not interested at all in the thumb over the neck thing.

I've been close to having a Telecaster style guitar built with a wider neck, but it always comes down to lack of faith in any local luthiers.

Comment

doesn't matter. i have a Ric and i have an Ibanez. both have very different neck profiles.

people complain too much.
      The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

doesn't matter. i have a Ric and i have an Ibanez. both have very different neck profiles.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Necks should extend at least a half inch beyond the outside strings. For bending of course. Other than that I'd like to try something with wider string spacing than a classical to see if cramped chords are easier that way.
          Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Necks should extend at least a half inch beyond the outside strings. For bending of course. Other than that I'd like to try something with wider string spacing than a classical to see if cramped chords are easier that way.
            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
              View Post

Doesn't matter to you. If you were comfortable in 34" waist pants, but pants just came in 30" waist and every morning you had to stuff yourself into them, that would would be cool, right? Just suck it up, don't complain, pants are pants right?

Options are for pussies I guess.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
                View Post

Doesn't matter to you. If you were comfortable in 34" waist pants, but pants just came in 30" waist and every morning you had to stuff yourself into them, that would would be cool, right? Just suck it up, don't complain, pants are pants right?

Comment

+1, I don't get those with the "just suck it up" mentality. I have preferred wider necks but unfortunately the manufacturers tend to go to the lowest common denominator. Cheap beginner guitars are narrow necks and it seems other than niche markets, the 1 5/8" neck is the common denominator.

Personally 1 11/16" is the least I can use and play comfortably. I prefer 1 7/8" and would love a 2" neck for 6 string someday.

I've had the thought of converting a 7 or 8 string to a 6 string JUST for the wider neck. I would LOVE the width of my 8 string Schecter neck , but with 6 strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly
                  View Post

Comment

+1, I don't get those with the "just suck it up" mentality. I have preferred wider necks but unfortunately the manufacturers tend to go to the lowest common denominator. Cheap beginner guitars are narrow necks and it seems other than niche markets, the 1 5/8" neck is the common denominator.

Personally 1 11/16" is the least I can use and play comfortably. I prefer 1 7/8" and would love a 2" neck for 6 string someday.

I've had the thought of converting a 7 or 8 string to a 6 string JUST for the wider neck. I would LOVE the width of my 8 string Schecter neck , but with 6 strings.

View Post

Comment

View Post

whining is for pussies.

Comment

View Post

whining is for pussies.

Comment

that poll is seriously flawed. calling some choices 'nice' and 'better'?

that said I like Gibson width whatever that is over Fender width whatever that is.

but I play both so it doesnt matter (much) unless you really think about it.

stuff:
                          52RI Tele
                          Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                          more stuff:
                          65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                          Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

that poll is seriously flawed. calling some choices 'nice' and 'better'?

that said I like Gibson width whatever that is over Fender width whatever that is.

but I play both so it doesnt matter (much) unless you really think about it.

stuff:
                            52RI Tele
                            Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                            more stuff:
                            65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                            Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by fhh
                              View Post

But it doesn't show that most people prefer wide, it's more of a tie. 52.7% prefer the 3 narrower options, 47.2% prefer the 3 wider options. If you only look at the 2 extreme options on each side, 37.2% narrow vs 39.9% wide.

That's the way it seems to me too .

I didn't vote because neck shape affects the feel of a guitar more than nut width to me .

I have both wide and narrow,depends how my hands feel,sometimes they all hurt to play .

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele
                              View Post

that poll is seriously flawed. .

yes.....respondents are mostly Canadians.
                              HCGB trooper #187
                              A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by fhh
                                View Post

But it doesn't show that most people prefer wide, it's more of a tie. 52.7% prefer the 3 narrower options, 47.2% prefer the 3 wider options. If you only look at the 2 extreme options on each side, 37.2% narrow vs 39.9% wide.

That's the way it seems to me too .

I didn't vote because neck shape affects the feel of a guitar more than nut width to me .

I have both wide and narrow,depends how my hands feel,sometimes they all hurt to play .

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele
                                View Post

that poll is seriously flawed. .

yes.....respondents are mostly Canadians.
                                HCGB trooper #187
                                A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

Comment

Working...
                                X