Guitar Neck Width

Steadfastly

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!

View Post

how much less? tongue.gif

It's funny you mentioned the bass...I started on electric bass, then switched to upright before ever learning more than "Smoke on the Water" on guitar. Now that I play more guitar than bass, I just don't get how anyone could really have an issue with the neck size/shape on a guitar.

A great dis-service I see repeatedly on the forum is when someone stresses to a novice guitarist how important it is that they find a guitar neck that's the correct size and shape for them.

• Members

View Post

how much less? tongue.gif

It's funny you mentioned the bass...I started on electric bass, then switched to upright before ever learning more than "Smoke on the Water" on guitar. Now that I play more guitar than bass, I just don't get how anyone could really have an issue with the neck size/shape on a guitar.

A great dis-service I see repeatedly on the forum is when someone stresses to a novice guitarist how important it is that they find a guitar neck that's the correct size and shape for them.

• Members

View Post

lol.

go play the bass for a while, then come back to the guitar. you'll see just how little it matters.

Take a picture of your hands and post it in this thread. Then we will all see why it doesn't matter to you.

We don't seen any 6' 6", 250lb. people driving Honda Civics doe we? Why, because it's too uncomfortable. The same with musical instruments like guitar. We are not all the same.

If it didn't matter many pros would not have a wide neck on their guitars.

• Members

View Post

lol.

go play the bass for a while, then come back to the guitar. you'll see just how little it matters.

Take a picture of your hands and post it in this thread. Then we will all see why it doesn't matter to you.

We don't seen any 6' 6", 250lb. people driving Honda Civics doe we? Why, because it's too uncomfortable. The same with musical instruments like guitar. We are not all the same.

If it didn't matter many pros would not have a wide neck on their guitars.

• Members

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL THESE CHICKS THEY CAN'T PLAY NECKS THAT LARGE??? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE!

pbass_1.jpg

gogos-bass-lead_s620x413.jpg?bb008c29561

tina_bassplayer.jpg

500full.jpg

seriously, though...if they switched to smaller necks, they might not suck and maybe their bands would actually make it big someday biggrin.gif

• Members

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL THESE CHICKS THEY CAN'T PLAY NECKS THAT LARGE??? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE!

pbass_1.jpg

tina_bassplayer.jpg

500full.jpg

seriously, though...if they switched to smaller necks, they might not suck and maybe their bands would actually make it big someday biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

pbass_1.jpg

tina_bassplayer.jpg

500full.jpg

seriously, though...if they switched to smaller necks, they probably wouldn't suck and their bands might even make it someday...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

pbass_1.jpg

tina_bassplayer.jpg

500full.jpg

seriously, though...if they switched to smaller necks, they probably wouldn't suck and their bands might even make it someday...

• Members

I go between 5 string bass, mandolin and all things between. While I prefer a 1 3/4" for regular guitar, I follow the tone and conform to whatever neck it's attached to - sometimes we just can't be all that picky. I've even gone with a 12 string and strung it as a 6 just for the added width.

• Members

I go between 5 string bass, mandolin and all things between. While I prefer a 1 3/4" for regular guitar, I follow the tone and conform to whatever neck it's attached to - sometimes we just can't be all that picky. I've even gone with a 12 string and strung it as a 6 just for the added width.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru

View Post

I've even gone with a 12 string and strung it as a 6 just for the added width.

This is what I've done with my electric and acoustic. It's taken a little customizing of the bridge and nut on the electric but very simple. It works a treat!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru

View Post

I've even gone with a 12 string and strung it as a 6 just for the added width.

This is what I've done with my electric and acoustic. It's taken a little customizing of the bridge and nut on the electric but very simple. It works a treat!

Archived