Guitar Neck Width

Steadfastly

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nicholai

View Post

Which I masturbate to nightly....

I love skinny necks. Deal. Some people have little girlie hands. Wah.

Why would you think I care what kind of guitar neck your prefer? Your preference is meaningless to me. The topic is about the choices of guitar neck widths available to guitarists these days. Some in this thread, myself included, have expressed a desire to see the larger manufactures offer some optional wider widths. Not quite sure how you missed this obvious point, but no one brought up you or your baby-sized appendages.

I guess it just seems odd to me that in this modern guitar-selling world, we are offered choices of finish color, pick-up type, wood type, neck wood type, tuner types, bridge styles, body styles, ect. ect. The choices and manufacturers and various modifications are kind of amazing. Yet the large, big name companies are not offering any real choices in fretboard width. One must go to small builders or aftermarket suppliers.

Somehow, this doesn't seem like a very controversial topic to me, yet for some reason there is a certain type that gets a bit condescending when another guitarist brings this topic up. They will gladly talk about their pickup choices or tube preferences for their amps, but if one expresses a desire for a little extra width to be made available as an option for those players who may desire it, they are told to just pipe down and play with what your given.

Fascinating.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by photon9

View Post

Uhm no. rolleyes.gif

You bend your top string up, not down... and your bottom string down, not up.

Duh, that's because you has to. See how that works? There's moar country licks possible with outward bending for one,

and then infinity.

lol

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by photon9

View Post

Uhm no. rolleyes.gif

You bend your top string up, not down... and your bottom string down, not up.

Duh, that's because you has to. See how that works? There's moar country licks possible with outward bending for one,

and then infinity.

lol

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly

View Post

Why would you think I care what kind of guitar neck your prefer? Your preference is meaningless to me. The topic is about the choices of guitar neck widths available to guitarists these days. Some in this thread, myself included, have expressed a desire to see the larger manufactures offer some optional wider widths. Not quite sure how you missed this obvious point, but no one brought up you or your baby-sized appendages.

I guess it just seems odd to me that in this modern guitar-selling world, we are offered choices of finish color, pick-up type, wood type, neck wood type, tuner types, bridge styles, body styles, ect. ect. The choices and manufacturers and various modifications are kind of amazing. Yet the large, big name companies are not offering any real choices in fretboard width. One must go to small builders or aftermarket suppliers.

Somehow, this doesn't seem like a very controversial topic to me, yet for some reason there is a certain type that gets a bit condescending when another guitarist brings this topic up. They will gladly talk about their pickup choices or tube preferences for their amps, but if one expresses a desire for a little extra width to be made available as an option for those players who may desire it, they are told to just pipe down and play with what your given.

Fascinating.

if you want a custom neck, buy one. guitar companies are in business to sell as many units as possible and have interpreted that to mean thinner necks. if you want to change the market, don't buy their product.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly

View Post

Fascinating.

if you want a custom neck, buy one. guitar companies are in business to sell as many units as possible and have interpreted that to mean thinner necks. if you want to change the market, don't buy their product.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!

View Post

That is true but the manufacturers are slowly recognizing that a slightly wider neck is something some guitarists want. Choosing a wider neck by some professionals has shown up in signature model series.

Martin has now changed from 1 11/16" necks to 1 3/4" on a number of models.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!

View Post

That is true but the manufacturers are slowly recognizing that a slightly wider neck is something some guitarists want. Choosing a wider neck by some professionals has shown up in signature model series.

Martin has now changed from 1 11/16" necks to 1 3/4" on a number of models.

Archived