Guitar Neck Width

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by w00dsy
    View Post

i'd love a wider neck, i've been thinking of building a Warmoth with a 1 7/8 neck for a while but never got around to it, yet. I have fat fingers so chording is difficult to do cleanly.

I have a Warmoth Fatback neck on a Strat, and i love the girth, but i would like it to be a tad wider. might order a fatback or round-back with a wide nut for my Telecaster.
    The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
    Lou Reed

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by w00dsy
      View Post

i'd love a wider neck, i've been thinking of building a Warmoth with a 1 7/8 neck for a while but never got around to it, yet. I have fat fingers so chording is difficult to do cleanly.

I have a Warmoth Fatback neck on a Strat, and i love the girth, but i would like it to be a tad wider. might order a fatback or round-back with a wide nut for my Telecaster.
      The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
      Lou Reed

Comment

these guys do guitars with 1 7/8 necks http://zarleywideneckguitars.com/

Comment

these guys do guitars with 1 7/8 necks http://zarleywideneckguitars.com/

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by DaleH
            View Post

Tradition

As an acoustic slide player I prefer a wide (1-3/4) flat (20-24 inch radius) neck, but when I built my Les Paul copy I followed tradition. Next time.....

However, to use your classical analogy, they have very formal left hand position with the thumb squarely in the middle of the back of the neck and would never think of fretting the low E with their thumb.

The other arguement is that narrower necks also have narrower spacing at the bridge which allows you to move around quicker with a pick. If you play finger style (as I do) wider spacing at the bridge allows you to get your thumb and fingers down between the strings (back to your classical analogy).

Comment

View Post

Tradition

As an acoustic slide player I prefer a wide (1-3/4) flat (20-24 inch radius) neck, but when I built my Les Paul copy I followed tradition. Next time.....

However, to use your classical analogy, they have very formal left hand position with the thumb squarely in the middle of the back of the neck and would never think of fretting the low E with their thumb.

The other arguement is that narrower necks also have narrower spacing at the bridge which allows you to move around quicker with a pick. If you play finger style (as I do) wider spacing at the bridge allows you to get your thumb and fingers down between the strings (back to your classical analogy).

Comment

But it doesn't show that most people prefer wide, it's more of a tie. 52.7% prefer the 3 narrower options, 47.2% prefer the 3 wider options. If you only look at the 2 extreme options on each side, 37.2% narrow vs 39.9% wide.

Comment

But it doesn't show that most people prefer wide, it's more of a tie. 52.7% prefer the 3 narrower options, 47.2% prefer the 3 wider options. If you only look at the 2 extreme options on each side, 37.2% narrow vs 39.9% wide.

Comment

NARROW! I love the narrow neck
                    www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

NARROW! I love the narrow neck
                      www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

View Post

Tradition

Dale: I have often thought this is likely part of reason as well. We are creatures of habit and changes are sometimes slow to come about.
                        Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

View Post

Tradition

Dale: I have often thought this is likely part of reason as well. We are creatures of habit and changes are sometimes slow to come about.
                          Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by fhh
                            View Post

Yes, but that is not what we're looking at because that is not how necks are made in the industry.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by fhh
                              View Post

Yes, but that is not what we're looking at because that is not how necks are made in the industry.

Comment

Narrow necks have caused me to disregard so many beautiful guitars. It's been a problem my whole guitar-playing life. I know the standard answer is "Man, don't be so anal, it's all about the music, get over it", blah blah blah. But I just can't play comfortably when my fingers are all bundled up. I've always worked on having my thumb in a more classical position (close to center back), so I'm not interested at all in the thumb over the neck thing.

I've been close to having a Telecaster style guitar built with a wider neck, but it always comes down to lack of faith in any local luthiers.

Comment

Working...
                                X