X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Neck Width

Most guitar necks are 1 5/8" or 1 11/16" at the nut. What is interesting is the results of a poll asking which neck width do you prefer. The results (below) show that respondents preferred a wider neck rather than the narrower neck.

Since most prefer a wider neck, I wonder why the manufacturers have not taken this into account when they make their guitar necks. It can't be because they have found the narrow neck to be easier to finger. All you have to do is watch a couple of classical guitarists with average size hands, who are playing on a 2" neck to realize this thought does not hold water.

What do you think the reason is for this?

Neck Width..........# Respondents........Average

Narrow - 1 5/8" .............24...............16.22%

Better - 1 11/16.............31...............20.95%

Good - 1 3/4..................23...............15.54%

Nice - 1 13/16................11................7.43%

Wide - 1 7/8".................32...............21.62%

Extra wide 2"................. 27...............18.24%
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&amp;%)7#</div>

Where did the poll come from? I like a narrow neck myself.
    No sig.

Comment

No sig.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Grantus
        View Post

From your northern cousins. www.guitarscanada.com/forum.php
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&amp;%)7#</div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Grantus
          View Post

From your northern cousins. www.guitarscanada.com/forum.php

Comment

This is something that has puzzled me too. I started out on a classical guitar for a few years, so I'm comfortable with wider necks. And on my electrics. I prefer wide necks.

And on the guitar forums it seems like a lot of players prefer the wide necks. So why do the manufacturers not heed this? Tis a mystery. Unless, of course, sales figure show that narrow necks sell better.
            The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
            Lou Reed

Comment

This is something that has puzzled me too. I started out on a classical guitar for a few years, so I'm comfortable with wider necks. And on my electrics. I prefer wide necks.

And on the guitar forums it seems like a lot of players prefer the wide necks. So why do the manufacturers not heed this? Tis a mystery. Unless, of course, sales figure show that narrow necks sell better.
              The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
              Lou Reed

Comment

i'd love a wider neck, i've been thinking of building a Warmoth with a 1 7/8 neck for a while but never got around to it, yet. I have fat fingers so chording is difficult to do cleanly.

Comment

i'd love a wider neck, i've been thinking of building a Warmoth with a 1 7/8 neck for a while but never got around to it, yet. I have fat fingers so chording is difficult to do cleanly.

Comment

I prefer 1 3/4" as I find it suits my hands and makes swapping between electric, acoustic steel, and classical easier. I feel really cramped on my Strat, which is 1 5/8, and my Yamaha FG450SA acoustic.

Comment

I prefer 1 3/4" as I find it suits my hands and makes swapping between electric, acoustic steel, and classical easier. I feel really cramped on my Strat, which is 1 5/8, and my Yamaha FG450SA acoustic.

Comment

Tradition

Comment

Tradition

Comment

I like wider necks myself. I feel that my technique is cleaner when I have that extra space between the strings.

Comment

I like wider necks myself. I feel that my technique is cleaner when I have that extra space between the strings.

Comment

Working...
                              X