Phase reverse pedal.... Does it exist?

• Members

Lately I've been doing a great deal of experimentation with my pedal board and my various amps. I've discovered that some pedals sound much better through some amps if I flip phase on my Lehle Little Dual. In my attempts to keep things a little easier to get set, is there a footswitch that can flip phase? The button on the Lehle isn't that hard to press but a footswitch would certainly make things more convenient.

Lots of pedals invert phase, but that should only be an issue when you're running two amps in stereo, or are combining / mixing signals. I'm unaware of any pedals that are designed with the main purpose of inverting phase, although there are pedals with phase switches on them, such as your Little Dual. I think the Xotic X Blender has a phase switch on it too.

You could look for a single stage boost or buffer that inverts phase and use that... that would probably be the cheapest "pedal" option. Or just swap the + and - wires on one of your amps / speaker cabinets.

I don't know why I didn't think of this one earlier... The Radial Engineering Bigshot ABY has a phase invert switch for one of the outputs. Added bonus: it also has an isolation transformer, which can be a big help in eliminating the ground loops and hum that are so common when running two amps at once.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/t...igshot-in-town

ad2b3458-a887-4395-bf98-2cc91358e965-766470d2.jpg

• Members

One advantage to being able to quickly flip the phase is feedback reduction on an acoustic guitar with a bridge transducer.

I was thinking it would be easy to build a phase switch into a pedal for a balanced line but not so much on an unbalanced without the use of a transformer. The Bigshot ABY seems to have addressed that - albeit in a box that requires a power supply.

I was thinking it would be easy to build a phase switch into a pedal for a balanced line but not so much on an unbalanced without the use of a transformer. The Bigshot ABY seems to have addressed that - albeit in a box that requires a power supply.

I suspect, although I'm not certain that the power is just for the LED indicators. The pedal's switching is passive and true bypass according to the press release.

• Members

From the press release...

"Should you experience hum and buzz problems due to ground loops, the BigShot ABY comes to the rescue with a built-in isolation transformer and ground lift switch. Once engaged, you can toggle the polarity of the second amplifier to ensure both amps play in absolute phase."

It does use a transformer to enable phase switching so, in that case, it is not true bypass - but the transformer can be switched out when not needed (transformers are not necessarily bad things). From what I read, the power supply is indeed only for the LEDs.

It looks like they've really got it all covered with this box - it's probably worth having one (or two) of them around just in case something comes up.

• Members

You could do it with a DPDT push switch something like this:

fetch?filedataid=119089

You'd also need an indicator of some kind to show when the phase was reversed:

fetch?filedataid=119090

The indicator would be in parallel with the out-of-phase output. A series capacitor (not in the drawing) should keep the DC out of the signal. Might be a fun project if you're handy. I went with 9V simply because that's the standard for pedals. Let me know if you see anything wrong with the basic idea.

• Members

I can't read your diagrams - they come up blank.

You mention a "series capacitor". Keep in mind that, although capacitors can block DC voltage, they do pass the transient that occurs when the voltage ramps up or down. This will result in a loud pop in the audio. It's best to keep the audio and the DC on separate circuits.

From the press release...

"Should you experience hum and buzz problems due to ground loops' date=' the BigShot ABY comes to the rescue with a built-in isolation transformer and ground lift switch. Once engaged, you can toggle the polarity of the second amplifier to ensure both amps play in absolute phase."[/i']

It does use a transformer to enable phase switching so, in that case, it is not true bypass - but the transformer can be switched out when not needed (transformers are not necessarily bad things). From what I read, the power supply is indeed only for the LEDs.

It looks like they've really got it all covered with this box - it's probably worth having one (or two) of them around just in case something comes up.

If I'm not mistaken, the transformer comes after the switching circuit. It's independent of it, just as if you ran a separate iso transformer inline and in series from the Bigshot's B output jack. Same basic idea as using an TB ABY switch with a external transformer after one output, except the passive transformer is inside the same case as the passive ABY switch.

• Members

Phil is pretty much correct. There's no diagram, just a pic of a switch and a diagram of an LED connected to a 9V battery with a series resistor. I figured the switching part was self-explanatory. Shows how much I know. Here's how it would work (the instructions are for a rocker switch but the principle is the same): http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO%3a-Wire-a-DPDT-rocker-switch-for-reversing-po/?ALLSTEPS. The idea was to use the same switch for both phase switching and the indicator LED. Apparently it's not that simple.

• Members

Is there a switch that will? From your answer, I'm guessing not. You'd probably also need something like a dual switch (i.e., two switches in a single housing) to control the phase and indicator with separate circuits.

Archived