Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

BOSS GT-8 (or 6 or 5 or 3) USERS thread

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've played with the Digitech GNX4, the Vox Tonelab desktop, the PODxt desktop, and my new BOSS GT-8. I have to say that the presets had a similar vibe on all of the units.

As for the GT-8, I'm finding it hard to tweak. There's so many parameters to adjust that I bet the sounds I'm after can be found, but it would nice if I could just use the preamp models by themselves to get the sounds of the preamps they model.

Comment

For tweaking, check out the threads at www.bossgtcentral.com. The gang there are pretty helpful and have lots of experience with the GT line.

For starters, you have the right idea - strip everything down and begin with a good foundational preamp tone. The basics are pretty easy (remember to read the manual)...and I only go into deep edit mode if I 'really' have to at this point (still new to the unit).

See ya over there if you come by.
      ~A~
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Blessings<br />
      ~A~<br />
      <font size="1"><b> <a href="http://forum.thestompbox.net/" target="_blank">TheStompBox.Net Website!</a></b></font></div>

Comment

Originally posted by dkitts2002
        Does anyone have experience attaching a GT-8/6 to a midi controller board? Is it worth the effort and expense? All I really would like is another expression pedal and maybe 3 or 4 ctl pedals.

Well, you can plug in an extra expression pedal to the GT-8 OR you can plug in up to TWO external switches (Either one will work in the stereo plug) AND the pedalboard part has a pedal labeled CTL (Control) that can be assigned to various parameters.
        So technically on each patch you can have:

the control pedal, the Expression pedal, and two more external switches

OR

The Control pedal and two expression pedals (one ext. one on the board) DO you need more control than that?
        You can also have the function of these things set by PATCH- so if you change patches they control different things.

I'm not sure MIDI would be worth it in this case IMO, but it depends on your needs. Using MIDI would be a great way to use the GT with other MIDI capapble processors so you can change patches simultaneously on both units, etc..
        Or to sync the modulation FX with a drum machine or external sequencer etc..
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! <br />
        <br />
        Creativity is a Work Ethic</div>

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt
          Have any of you Boss GT guys ever tried running the Boss through a flat response SS power amp into a guitar cab?

Just curious...I think it would be cool to ditch my pedals and amp and just be able to run something like this. It would be a nice clean setup with an endless array of tones.

Ran my GT-6 into a flat SS power amp and a pair of PA cabs for a couple of years. IMHO that's the only way to use it. F***ing awesome!
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Nik<br />
          Godin LGXT; G707 with internal GK2.<br />
          <br />
          Weeping Demon; M13;<br />
          AX100 MkII; 9001; Formula; HOG;<br />
          Repeater; Vortex.</div>

Comment

Originally posted by BryanMichael

Well, you can plug in an extra expression pedal to the GT-8 OR you can plug in up to TWO external switches (Either one will work in the stereo plug) AND the pedalboard part has a pedal labeled CTL (Control) that can be assigned to various parameters.
            So technically on each patch you can have:

the control pedal, the Expression pedal, and two more external switches

OR

The Control pedal and two expression pedals (one ext. one on the board) DO you need more control than that?

Actually, yes, or at least I'd LIKE more than that. I guess I'd like to assign external ctrl pedals globally for tap, a/b channel, solo, delay on/off and have the CTRL Switch onboard the GT-8 be assignable per patch as well as the have the on board expression pedal be assignable per patch. That would give me plently of lattitude to react to whatever the band needs are in live situations. It looks more or less impossible as I read the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Nik
              Ran my GT-6 into a flat SS power amp and a pair of PA cabs for a couple of years. IMHO that's the only way to use it. F***ing awesome!

Thanks. I was pretty sure this would work well. What I was more curious about though was how it would do with a flat SS power amp into a guitar cab (specifically an Avatar 2x12 with Eminence V12's, in my case)? Did you ever try it through a guitar cab?
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="red"><font size="1">XT Brotherhood</font></font><br />
              <br />
              <font size="1"><a href="http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZstratocrusher" target="_blank">My eBay auctions</a></font></div>

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt

Thanks. I was pretty sure this would work well. What I was more curious about though was how it would do with a flat SS power amp into a guitar cab (specifically an Avatar 2x12 with Eminence V12's, in my case)? Did you ever try it through a guitar cab?

Not with a flat power amp. Only through the power amp and speaker of a 100watt Marshall 1x12 combo - excellent, but not as versatile as the PA speakers.
                <br />
                Repeater; Vortex.</div>

Comment

Actually, yes, or at least I'd LIKE more than that. I guess I'd like to assign external ctrl pedals globally for tap, a/b channel, solo, delay on/off and have the CTRL Switch onboard the GT-8 be assignable per patch as well as the have the on board expression pedal be assignable per patch. That would give me plently of lattitude to react to whatever the band needs are in live situations. It looks more or less impossible as I read the manual.

Well, the CTRL switch and Expression pedal and the pedal switch can be assigned on a patch by patch basis, as can the external CTRL switches.
                  Check up in the manual on what can be done in Manual mode.
                  <br />
                  Repeater; Vortex.</div>

Comment

1. you can assign one of the external switches for TAP (Globally- which is what they would call global BPM)- then all of your modulation effects that are set to reference the Global BPM will be in sync with that. Of course you can set them NOT to reference the Global BPM.

2. You can change channels A/B with your volume knob! That is deal with the paralell processing. Set the threshold and move into one or the other. Of course I guess that MAY be a little different on your tone- but if you put an external volume pedal in FRONT of the GT 8 you would basically roll from one to the other by foot OR better yet you can assign the internal expression pedal to A/b the channels all the up is one all the way down is the other. Smooth blending too.

That leaves you with using the second external footswitch to turn the delay on/off

and the control pedal to either assign to a parameter, engage the solo or something else- So you can get 75% of it, but not everything at once. For that you may need MIDI.

B
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! <br />
                    <br />

Comment

I got the following patch to work for stereo (piezo equipped) electric guitars:

Plug the piezo output to the return on the GT-8 loop, the magnetic pickup output to the regular guitar in.
                      Put the following chain in effect: Loop, ac processor, amp, eq
                      Set amp to JC Clean Wide Range.
                      Set Loop type to normal
                      Turn off the compression and noise suppression to start off with (the noise supression wreaks havoc on this patch).
                      Add effects (chorus, reverb, delay) or not....to taste.

Now, on that patch you should have an acoustic guitar sound, using your piezo pickups. Hit the next patch and it switches to the mag pickups. This works well when using an keyboard amp or going direct to the board. It will not work with the four cable method.

Comment

Does anyone have experience attaching a GT-8/6 to a midi controller board? Is it worth the effort and expense? All I really would like is another expression pedal and maybe 3 or 4 ctl pedals.

I used to run an additional expression pedal in the corresponding input at the rear of my GT5 to control volume when the onboard pedal was used for wha or anything else.

Eventually I prefered to have an additional (stereo) expression pedal after the main output of the GT5 instead.
                        I may have bad ears but I thought the other configuration made for some glitches and steps in the controls.

I have never tried a midi control.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/terminalfrostband" target="_blank">Terminal Frost</a><br />
                        <a href="http://www.myspace.com/brainstormingmusic" target="_blank">Brainstorming</a></div>

Comment

Originally posted by JMS 2

I used to run an additional expression pedal in the corresponding input at the rear of my GT5 to control volume when the onboard pedal was used for wha or anything else.

Eventually I prefered to have an additional (stereo) expression pedal after the main output of the GT5 instead.
                          I may have bad ears but I thought the other configuration made for some glitches and steps in the controls.

I have never tried a midi control.

That is a thought...free up the volume work the expression pedal does by adding an external volume pedal hmmmmmmm ... I'll have to hit eBay to see if there are any stereo volume pedals out there.

Comment

BUMP for the Boss
                            <br />

Comment

Bump...

It's that good!
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">Blessings<br />
                              ~A~<br />
                              <font size="1"><b> <a href="http://forum.thestompbox.net/" target="_blank">TheStompBox.Net Website!</a></b></font></div>

Comment

Anyone out there develop a patch for plugging a bass guitar into the GT-8? I had one on my GT-6 that was OK, but was wondering what anyone else has done.

(Yes, I know there is a GT-6B and there will probably someday be a GT-8B, but I don't want to spend money for the little I play bass)

Comment

Working...
                                X