Jimi Hendrix FUZZ FACE (JHF-1) any good?

• Members

this pedal any good for a first time fuzz owner?

http://www.tonefactor.com/prodimages/hendrixfuzz.jpg

i listen to a lot of clips and it came down to this and the big muff pi (russian?)

reason why i ask is someone is selling one pretty cheap ($80AUD) in good condition and im going to go check it out tonight.

seems to get ok to good reviews on HC

• Members

It's DEFF better than the old red unit, but i would rather go for the pedal-board-friendly MXR 108 Classic Fuzz !

GREAT fuzz, IF you want the Fuzz Face type of fuzz.

Other fantastic 1st time fuzz's are the EXH Double Muff, Big Muff, and Bass Muff, for guitar, and the black Russuan Muff !

Just depends hat fuzz tone you are after !

• Members

this pedal any good for a first time fuzz owner?

i listen to a lot of clips and it came down to this and the big muff pi (russian?)

reason why i ask is someone is selling one pretty cheap ($80AUD) in good condition and im going to go check it out tonight.

seems to get ok to good reviews on HC

yes

• Members

got it!

anways got home real late at night and wife wanted to go to sleep so only got to try it out through my vox AD15VT practice amp...i set it to clean/verge of breakup and plugged the strat into the fuzz.

yep it still sounded exactly how i remembered a fuzz sounded. yuk. i fiddled with the vol/fuzz knobs and it even sounded like the speaker was farting/broken at some settings!

however this time after discovering how to use the guitars tone and volume controls along the years...i dialled the strats vol back a tad at a time and holy sh3t!!!

vol at 9.5 to 9 which is not much on the strat sounded like it just turned off MOST the qualities i hated in the fuzz but still retained some ratty/grittyness to it...so i went lower with the volume on the strat till about 8-7.5 it sounded how ive always wanted my strat to sound. (which i cant describe but its sorta glassy?)

is this how most people use their fuzz boxes?

i cant wait to get home to try it out on my Framus 30W EL84.

• Members

This album, right here, is and will be the best strat&Fuzz combo i will ever hear !

Do yourself a huge favour, and get this very Hendrix album - needless to say, it is my FAV Hendrix album, and i have 'em all !

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Jimi-Hendrix/dp/B000002OSK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1243002433&sr=1-5

PURE FUZZY GOODNESS !!!

Never will a strat ever sound this good ever again !

• Members

report of my findings last night.

tried the fuzz face on the clean channel of my framus CS 30W el84...think vox ac30ish cleans. with a byoc 808 feeding the fuzz face its almost sounds like my framus lead channel...almost haha

its like sonic annihilation and the guitar vol has no affect RE: cleaning up

also tried it with a wah in front and that was intereting too. didnt try wah,808 and fuzz thou as dont have enough patch cables.

oh and i was going to ask about batteries (as somone mentioned alread)

the guy i bought it from left a ever ready one in which i replaced with a fresh generic cheap dick smith (the australian equilaven of radio shack) and im almost sure they sound diffrent

but yeah...im not sure if im a fuzz guy ...will have to keep hacking away

• Members

For me the JH-F1 covers a lot of ground, from OD - Fuzz. When I use mine, which is often, I leave the fuzz pedal volume all the way up and back off on the guitar volume a bit. It sounds amazing with both my Gretsch (TV Classics) and my Jazzmaster. It also stacks really well with most anything, that's where the fun starts. I run the JH-F1 before my HAO Rust Driver or my Lovepedal Les Lius and it just sounds amazing with either of those.

• Members
One of the best Silicon Fuzzfaces on the market right now. Even AnalogMan said that he will mod his BC108's after JH-F1 making it a little warmer and less fizzy

If that's the case, he shouldn't. The Sunface BC108 is a much better silicon fuzz IMO than the JH-F1. I had both at the same time and the JH-F1 was harsher and less musical/more dull sounding than the Sunface. But as always, ymmv...

• Members

well...after all that ...ive decided that the JH-F1 isnt for me.

the lack of power adaptor pisses me off

the size of the pedal itself pisses me off

and i dont think it likes my el84 framus.

the lead channel of said amp can sound just as fuzzy, but fatter and warmer.

so selling it (found a buyer already) for a $40 profit.

next fuzz pedal to try is .... (suggestions welcome)

• Members

well...after all that ...ive decided that the JH-F1 isnt for me.

the lack of power adaptor pisses me off

Take your pick Mr. Hung! http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/

• Members

Jimi never had a power adaptor :confused:

Maybe you wanna give this brute a go !!!

whatFUZZ.jpg

• Members

Say, will it not be cheaper to buy something from pedalgeek or Musicians Friend and let them ship iy ouy to you ?

i meant "to" australia.

is there a website where i cna check out/order monsterpiece stuff?

i cant seem to find anything in google.

Archived