Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to learn how do play surf/western style guitar, where do I start?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start learning some of your favourite surf songs by ear. They
    Dead Soldiers

Comment

Dick Dale uses heavy-ass strings (is that his gauge up there?^^). He said the neck of his guitar is warped beyond belief and he is the only one who can play it. I'm not surprised, as I have the Dick Dale custom shop strat, and it has one of the thinnest necks of any guitar I've played.
      ... puppets jerking on their strings ...

Comment

I'd love to have a guitar strung like that. The guitar I want to do it to has no truss rod though & I'm pretty sure those strings would destroy it.

yeah, you'll love it.
        I re-stringed my strato with 0.14, 18, 18, 28, 38, 58 in standard tuning after an article i read about dick dale some years ago.
        i had f#f#ggaa tuning before on that guitar with heavy strings also and all the five spring mounted inside. this gave me an ok set-up when i switched to the dale's gauge.
        http://soundcloud.com/haaiopdieaas

Comment

Dick Dale uses heavy-ass strings (is that his gauge up there?^^). He said the neck of his guitar is warped beyond belief and he is the only one who can play it. I'm not surprised, as I have the Dick Dale custom shop strat, and it has one of the thinnest necks of any guitar I've played.

Guitar World last month they interview Billy Gibbons. He said that he was sharing a dressing room with B.B. King early in their career. B.B. asked Billy why he was using such heavy gauge strings and Billy replied that he was trying to get that tone from the old days. B.B. replied that that's all they had back then, you're doing too much work son.
          I kinda agree. I've had some tree trunks on some guitars in the past and honestly I think it's all in your hands. Meaning that I sound pretty much the same with whatever gauge strings I slap on with the exception that the ability to bend strings really has me working for it like B.B. says. I think if you're looking to deter yourself from bending like say for jazz go for it because the thicker you go the less likely you'll want to bend. Billy has a new set of strings in .007 gauge, the guy still sounds the same all these years later go figure.

Comment

Guitar World last month they interview Billy Gibbons. He said that he was sharing a dressing room with B.B. King early in their career. B.B. asked Billy why he was using such heavy gauge strings and Billy replied that he was trying to get that tone from the old days. B.B. replied that that's all they had back then, you're doing too much work son.
            I kinda agree. I've had some tree trunks on some guitars in the past and honestly I think it's all in your hands. Meaning that I sound pretty much the same with whatever gauge strings I slap on with the exception that the ability to bend strings really has me working for it like B.B. says. I think if you're looking to deter yourself from bending like say for jazz go for it because the thicker you go the less likely you'll want to bend. Billy has a new set of strings in .007 gauge, the guy still sounds the same all these years later go figure.

Apparently, Dick Dale has STRONG hands. Anything less and he breaks strings right and left.
            ... puppets jerking on their strings ...

Comment

Apparently, Dick Dale has STRONG hands. Anything less and he breaks strings right and left.

I imagine he does after working those strings for 60 something years.

Comment

I think the best way to learn about any type of music is to listen to people who do it well. Here's a few good ones.

Comment

But what about the "western" part of the op? All the surf stuff is great. Surf guitars for western? I'd say a strat would kill on both fronts. Here's some of the Western stuff.

Comment

Comment

But what about the "western" part of the op? All the surf stuff is great. Surf guitars for western? I'd say a strat would kill on both fronts. Here's some of the Western stuff.

I think a Grestch would also work great for both. Check out Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet for proof of this.

Comment

I think a Grestch would also work great for both. Check out Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet for proof of this.

The Gretsch with Dynasonics for sure, but a hollow body might look a little too Western unless you're thinking of a something like a Duo Jet. That would totally rock both worlds.

Comment

Reverb till it just starts sounding like wind.
                          Originally Posted by Caesar

Funny, I just sold my HOG for $420 on ebay. It's a great pedal, but, much like my brain, I only used 10% of it's features.

Originally Posted by TravvyBear

After many pickup/guard swaps, I thought refinishing it blue would make it sound the best.

Comment

The Gretsch with Dynasonics for sure, but a hollow body might look a little too Western unless you're thinking of a something like a Duo Jet. That would totally rock both worlds.

I wasn't really talking about how they look. I just think that twangy Gretsch thing would work great for both types of genres.

Comment

I wasn't really talking about how they look. I just think that twangy Gretsch thing would work great for both types of genres.

In the studio for sure. At a rowdy beach bar I'll leave the hollow body at home both on the looks and the destruction end of it.

Comment

In the studio for sure. At a rowdy beach bar I'll leave the hollow body at home both on the looks and the destruction end of it.

Damn! What kind of ****************-holes are you playing in?

Comment

• Working...
                                  X