Best Independent Pedal Demos?

BR4D

• Members

I can't think of anyone who does alot of these that doesn't have some ties to a retailer or manufacturer.

That's what i was most curious about. I was wondering if there are any good hobbyist demo makers left doing their own thing?

• Members

it seems as the whole pedal demo business is a shady cabal where literally tens of dollars are switching hands.

I guess Hiwatt Bob does pedal demos, but it's pretty much like watching Lambos taken around the track on Top Gear because he's Pennybags McMansion and only plays pedals you will never see much less get the chance to buy.

• Members

but for the most part, retailers/companies have taken up on producing demos. It's their onus to make their wares sound their best rather than leave it up to some hack who doesn't know what they're doing.

I guess Hiwatt Bob does pedal demos, but it's pretty much like watching Lambos taken around the track on Top Gear because he's Pennybags McMansion and only plays pedals you will never see much less get the chance to buy.

Examples? I remember ring tone, fuzz probe, ARC Tonebender demos....all easily available.

• Members

The English guy on youtube called blondegraemy, lots of cool old EHX and otherold phasers, choruses and delays;the stuff I'm into, tired of the boutique overdrive scene. Also there is Japanese demoer called VintageGearDemos or something. A guy that does strictly old wahs like colorsound and thomas organ crybabys, cant think o his handle on there though

• Members

I've received compensation here and there from a few companies, but I wouldn't say that I have "ties" to anybody. I do demos because I like doing demos ... and because I feel blessed to be able to check out so many different pedals and want to give back. That's why I started doing them and that's why I continue. Getting anything out of it is purely a bonus IMO. That goes for free/discounted gear, high-fives, YouTube revenue

• Members

I get free stuff, and don't do any demos, hahaha. Seriously though, I think the problem with most independent videographers, is that their recording mechanisms suffer. Even listen to old PGS videos, vs. newer ones, big difference once they sorted out better ways to record. I can't listen to poorly recorded videos, it doesn't do any good at all. And I hate much talking. Just Nick makses some good demos, but does talk too much. Gearmandude can be entertaining, but his quality of recording suffers too (maybe it's better lately?) and his shtick gets old.

So when I want to listen to a video, I'll search YT, and usually PGS, Prymaxe, Jet City Music, MuzicToys dominates the first page. And I tend not to go much further. So if there are good independent videos out there, I'm sadly not spending much time searching them out.

• Members

Another pet peeve of mine in videos/recordings, is hearing the picking. Sometimes that's all I can concentrate on, and the rest of the video is ruined. It's like the put the mic right on the guitar. Even a couple of the "pros" have had problems with this in the past.

• Members

^^ There are other threads to bitch in, Ian. Go find one.

Hey I wasn't referring to you at all here, in case you thought so. There are some good demos, that are simply overshadowed by the noise from picking, it shouldn't be there. You want to hear the pedal/amp, not someone's picking style. It's not a bitch thread, it is on topic, which is part of what non commercial demos do you listen to. If the demo has a prevalent amount of picking noise in it, I stop listening. It might not bug others, which is fine. It does me, and is why I do or don't listen to certain videos. It's more of an observation, than just outright bitching. If it came off that way, apologies.

I'm not sure exactly how you avoid it, I know PGS for example uses a separate sound room where the amp and mic are. So what is recorded, is only the sound of the demo, not Andy or Burgs playing guitar. For the home recorder, I would probably have the amp turned up pretty high, and I would sit a fairly good distance away from the mic. But I'll be the first to admit, I know nothing about recording. Wish I did, (and wish I had the gear) or I would do some.

Archived