X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Nelson, NZ In October

Our visas were approved, so now we are headed to Nelson, NZ next year. Any Kiwi's here have any tips or lines on any jobs down there? We'll be landing in Auckland and will make our way to the South Island via Wellington, so if anyone wants to meet up for beers let me know.

Also, cheap plane tickets?
    Elektro/Audio/Destruktors- Handmade Pedals from Olympia, Washington & Denali Park, Alaskajoyopedals: I do not waste producersGood deal with LDSis4Me.

Congrats on the visa approval.

Nelson is a beautiful place.
    Will you be driving yourselves down to Nelson?
    Originally Posted by Zappa74

Beer is like overdrive pedals.

At the volume I play, they're all the same.

Comment

A couple of years back I was interested in doing this too but never really looked into too much.

How long are the Visas for and do you have the chance of being able to stay there permanently?
      "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." -- Me

Comment

Wow - that's a BIG move! What prompted the desire to move to NZ?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Congrats on the visa approval.

Nelson is a beautiful place.
          Will you be driving yourselves down to Nelson?

Thanks!

We'll probably catch a bus to Wellington, hang out for a few days, and then make our way to Nelson. I don't think we're going to pick up a car and we'll probably use bikes to get around town.
          Elektro/Audio/Destruktors- Handmade Pedals from Olympia, Washington & Denali Park, Alaskajoyopedals: I do not waste producersGood deal with LDSis4Me.

Comment

A couple of years back I was interested in doing this too but never really looked into too much.

How long are the Visas for and do you have the chance of being able to stay there permanently?

From what I understand it is fairly easy to get a green card, but don't quote me on that. Who knows, maybe I'll know in a few months.

Comment

Wow - that's a BIG move! What prompted the desire to move to NZ?

I've been planning on pursuing a PhD in History, but right now with the economy as it is the baby boomers in academia are holding onto their jobs and so the chances of getting a position at a university after finishing my degree are pretty slim. So instead of jumping straight into grad school we're putting it off so that we'll be out of school in 6-10 years when the baby boomers should theoretically start dropping out. Between now and then we might as well travel and figure out that the Earth is in fact round.

New Zealand has a lot of hiking, biking, and kayaking, things that my significant other and I are really into. Plus it seems about as laid back as Alaska, and the people seem to be much nicer than most Americans!

Plus, it'll make EAD a multi-national company

Comment

^^Na, we're complete and utter arsewipes

Try these on your morning toast when you get down here.

Comment

^^^ I thought you said the Kiwis were nice? Looks like they're already trying to poison you!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

We love that stuff down here, as much as you yanks love bacon.
                    Sad thing for most kiwis is the Marmite shortage - the earthquakes last year wiped out the factory. Doesn't matter to me; I'm a Vegemite fan - Marmite is foul tasting crap.

Comment

Horrible!

Comment

^^ Vegemite is king. But it's a shame that it's Australian made oke:

Comment

Thanks!

We'll probably catch a bus to Wellington, hang out for a few days, and then make our way to Nelson. I don't think we're going to pick up a car and we'll probably use bikes to get around town.

Wellington is rad.
                          Do yourself a favour and don't bother going into any music store. You will literally weep at the prices.
                          If you guys are into the outdoors then you definitely need to google "Milford Sounds"

Also if you manage to explore any of the North Island then "Mount Maunganui" is definitely worth a visit.

Also, the Central Plateau in the North Island.

You absolutely have to go to Queenstown. But beware, it's a tourist Mecca and as such is very expensive.

The Coromandel Peninsula, in the North Island, is full of amazing beaches and walking tracks.
                          If you do make it there, there is a beach called Hot Water Beach.
                          At low tide, dig a hole in the sand and you'll discover VERY hot water.
                          In the summer the place is full of people lying in big pools of hot water

Comment

Oh man, I'm getting all giddy.

Comment

Nelson is a sweet place, though a little small depending what you're used to. Not far from some great places like Golden Bay and the Marlborough Sounds.

As Woodward said, gear prices are a joke so bring as much of your stuff as you can. Get a step-down transformer if you have to.

Shame about the Sanitarium factory, though I had my brother bring me over a decent supply of vegemite last month so I'm set for a while.

If you have a trade (builder, plumber etc) you may be better off moving to Christchurch. I haven't been back since the quake, but there's bound to be a ton of construction work,

What visa are you going on?
                              Russian DolphinsBandcamp -Â****http://russiandolphins.bandcamp.com/Soundcloud -Â****https://soundcloud.com/russiandolphins

Comment

Working...
                              X