Moving to Nelson, NZ In October

• Members

There is, but the rates are terrible.

Really? Maybe why the 'reconstruction' is moving so slowly. I still haven't been back since the quake.

What are you comparining to though? Wages in general are much lower in Chch than other places, but the cost of living is too.

I know I got paid MUCH better for doing {censored}-all in Sydney than I did for slaving my ass off in Christchurch, paid through the nose for rent in Oz too.

• Members

While it's awesome that you have a significant other, dang, you prob can't dip into the pool of beautiful NZ women.

It seems to me that most countries think all the beautiful women are somewhere else.

Unless your idea of beauty is someone who can fix a tractor with a piece of No.8 wire and some bailing twine.

• Members

Really? Maybe why the 'reconstruction' is moving so slowly. I still haven't been back since the quake.

What are you comparining to though? Wages in general are much lower in Chch than other places, but the cost of living is too.

I know I got paid MUCH better for doing {censored}-all in Sydney than I did for slaving my ass off in Christchurch, paid through the nose for rent in Oz too.

My dad went down there looking for work - the building industry in NZ as a whole has slowed right down and in Tauranga has almost ground to a halt. It wasn't long before he returned, and he's since moved to Perth. Says it all really.

• Members

Dude, you're killing it at life right now. Working for Denali National Park, and now going to live in New Zealand. You're doing what I want to do, haha.

I got a friend who's going to live NZ for a lil' while as well. I'll ask her if she knows anything.

Thanks! If you're looking for a job next summer I can probably set you up working for me up here in Denali. I'll at least be back for another season before either moving east, or returning to NZ (if all works out).

• Members

Its a working holiday visa, which means I can work anywhere for 6 months, but then need to either file for an exemption or find a new job. It does seem really easy for an American to get a green card in NZ though, the immigration officer I spoke with on the phone said if you have a college degree, are under 30, and a clean record you're set.

word.

• Members

That's surprising. I'd imagine everyone wants to emigrate to NZ and that they could be so selective as to only take physicists and top-notch CEOs.

I think they're losing a lot of young people to Australia, and so they're actively trying to get people fresh out of college to come and live there. Once again, this is just what the immigration guy said over the phone.

• Members

I think they're losing a lot of young people to Australia, and so they're actively trying to get people fresh out of college to come and live there. Once again, this is just what the immigration guy said over the phone.

This is incredibly true.

NZ has this weird mentality where if you're come from another country then your skills are better than the local's. A lot of young kiwis get frustrated with trying to get jobs, so they go overseas and come back to good jobs because experience overseas = better person.

OR, as most my age are doing, just sod off to Australia.

• Members

they gave you a visa on a possible part-time bartending gig?
:lol:

do kiwis like americans and our accents? or does it only work the other way around?

Yes, you'll have better chances with the ladies (or fellas) having an accent that's either from the British Isles or North America, for sure.

NZ has been trying to get back in the good books with the USA for ages as a country, ever since we got kicked out of ANZUS really.

You will mistaken for being Canadian though :D

• Members

Just to be clear, this is the real marmite:

marmite.jpg

Also, I hope you like sheep, I mean, REALLY like sheep.

To be super cereal for a second though, everyone I know who has been says it's an amazing country, good luck
:thu:

To be honest, it's all about the dairy now, bitches.

And comparing that Marmite to Sanitarium Marmite is like comparing Adam West Batman to Christian Bale Batman.

• Members

Thanks! If you're looking for a job next summer I can probably set you up working for me up here in Denali. I'll at least be back for another season before either moving east, or returning to NZ (if all works out).

Don't stop posting on this forum because if you're in a position to do that next summer, that would be most righteous:lol: Need to keep this communication line.

• Members

That's surprising. I'd imagine everyone wants to immigrate to NZ and that they could be so selective as to only take physicists and top-notch CEOs.

'The brain drain' - skilled workers going overseas in search of better pay - is quite a problem in NZ.

Looks like we may be going back for a couple of weeks in December, really looking forward to it. It'll have been 3 years since I was last home.

To do list:

steak & cheese pie, fish & chips, lamb roast.

In that order.

• Members

'The brain drain' - skilled workers going overseas in search of better pay - is quite a problem in NZ.

Looks like we may be going back for a couple of weeks in December, really looking forward to it. It'll have been 3 years since I was last home.

To do list:

steak & cheese pie, fish & chips, lamb roast.

In that order.

Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum

Archived