Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preferred string gauge/scale length/tuning?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now, it's an 11/12 hybrid set on an Esquire in standard tuning. They're all D'Addario XL's, but the low strings are pulled from an 11 set, and the high strings are pulled from a 12 set, so it ends up looking like this (from low to high):

49w

38w

28w

It was totally accidental (I tried to change the whole set to 12s, but the nut slots couldn't handle the thickness of the wound strings), but it actually sounds really great. The strings balance nicely from top to bottom and overall it feels good.
    Cathedral Bells
    Ten and Six

Guitar: '78 Electra Omega Les Paul
    Effects: EHX HOG, Digitech Timebender,
    EHX Stereo Clone Theory, Mooer Pitchbox,
    Crybaby Classic, EQD Rainbow Machine,
    Line 6 DL4, T1M Mini-Stutta, Ernie Ball VP Jr.
    Amp: Fender Tweed Blues Jr. NOS

Comment

9-46 on 24.75 and 25.5" scale in E, drop-D and (rarely) open G.

10-52 on 22" in standard.

40-100 on 34" basses in E and drop-D.

45-110 on 30" basses in standard.

130 low B on 34" 5 string basses.

35-90 flat wounds on 34" fretless basses with piezo pickups in standard.

25-95 on 30" scale 6 string bass tuned E to E.

22-28-32-22 on 18" ukulele tuned to open C6th.

edit: just measured my kala Ubass strings. The low E is a 19" scale 230! That's thicker than some of my speaker cables.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by hivedestruction
        View Post

I have DR 11-50's on all 3 of my electrics (2 Gibson scale, 1 Tele), also all are tuned a half step down from standard. I've used the DR 11-50's for about 8 years now. Tried a few other sizes, kept coming back to the 11-50's. I'm just super used to them I suppose.

My experience with the DR 11-50s is identical. I'm so used to 'em now that nothing else ever sticks. I recently learned it's an almost perfectly balanced set to boot. Not sure how much that matters but it can't hurt I suppose....

Quote Originally Posted by christianatl
        View Post

Fender scale, dropped C, 13-56.

You talking standard 25.5" Tele scale or 24" Mustang short scale? Or both??
        Originally Posted by conky

I wanna take that rig behind Zaxby's and get it pregnant.

Comment

24" scale; 11-50 flatwound; standard tuning

Comment

E or Eb, 10s, whatever guitar
            I didn't come here to save whales, I came here to get laid and make rock 'n' roll

Comment

Flatwound 13s on my fretless, tuned to (low to high) - B F# C F G# A

Ernie Ball somethings, 10-46 set on my usual guitar, tuned to drop D.

Both are 25.5" scale length, haven't played anything else in my life, so I dunno.
              Drone-y instrumental guitar stuff
              My experimental collab with Aimmar Cair - new AMBIENT EP out now!
              My Photos

Originally Posted by Drifter182

whenever I see one of these threads I pictures Phils face at the back of a dim-light bar slamming his empty glass of gin and coke a bit loudly on the table muttering something about "....stupid band, always giving me a headache with thread titles....." he wipes his lips away in disgust and quietly walks into the night, wishing his Class 5 had black tape on it.

Comment

Tele:

Les Paul:

That is all.
                ORANGE AMPS
                Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

I use Rotosound 11-48 on an Ibanez RG with 25.5" scale length.

I love these strings; they are very nice. I've been using them for 3 years or so now. They last ages under my fingers, too; it's been months since I last restrung (I don't remember when it was) and they're still tolerable
                  Currently using:
                  Ibanez RG1570 (DiMarzio MegaDrive bridge) - Peavey Royal 8
                  Board:
                  RMC Wizard Wah (2005)
                  EHX Small Stone (Big box)
                  Boss SD-1 (Modded by PedalMods UK, 3-way gain voicing selection)
                  Ernie Ball VP-JR
                  Boss DD-3 (1987)
                  T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.
                  Good dealings with: yourguitarhero, woolyh

Comment

I really don't have any set rules with string/gauge and scale length. I just sorta check out the guitar and make the call.

I use 10's on my Charvels. (25.5") I use 11's on my Cyclone II. (24.75") Then I use 11's on my Fapocaster (modded MIM, 25.5")

I generally like 11's on Telecasters, and Semi's as well. 10's on most LP style guitars... though it's been awhile since I've had one, perhaps I'd like 11's more now.

99% of the time I'm in E Standard tuning. Tried and true.
                    Sometimes you follow your heart. Sometimes your heart cuts a fart. That's the cosmic shame.Charvel So Cals More Guitars Amp PedalsMy Band Site w/ Player

Comment

11's 25.5" scale brand doesn't really matter to me that much. i usually use d'addario or ernie ball.
                      Dead Soldiers

Comment

Working...
                      X