Who makes a speaker most like old Jensen P12Q or P12R?

ksl

• Members

I just picked up a Fender Blues Jr. Relic model 15 watts, and it needs a speaker. This model originally came with a newer Jensen P12R and it sounded great!! So, who makes a good speaker that best emulates that woody O/D'n sound of the good old Jensen P12R or P12Q? Weber makes a speaker for $63,, Mojotone prob. makes one, along with many others, as well as finding an old Jensen on Ebay. I'd like to avoid such affects like speaker howl when I do some some controlled feedback stuff. Any suggestions out there from some of you experienced ears out there? Thanks in advance for any advice!! Happy rockin'~

• Members

I bought 4 of the P10R to put in an open backed cab I built. They sound fabulous. I got them for $50 each. They've gone up in price to $111 each - Ouch. - Guess I bought them at the right time. The 12's are well into the $200 ranges now. Seems like they jumped at least $60 in the past year. Did Alnico jump in price or did import fees go up?

As far as buying used you really have to watch out. Many of the old Jensen's didn't have any special paper treatment to resist moisture and can be loaded with paper rot. Found a pair here which really do look to be in good shape https://reverb.com/item/8330653-vintage-jensen-p12n-pair-w-original-cones?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlu3LhrSm2QIVCDNpCh2McQGfEAQYAyABEgImlfD_BwE&pla=1 Paper can fool you though. Once its dried out it can start cracking quickly.

You could get a blown set and have them re-coned but you'd wind up spending about $100 each plus the cost of the blown speaker. You'd probably be better off just buying one of the new ones made in Italy. They really do remanufacture the speakers well. I have no complaints with mine. The output is in fact stronger then many vintage Jensen's I've used. Of course they aren't going to sound like something that's 50 years old. No new speakers do. They are going to sound like the vintage speakers did in the 50's 60's when they were first made, without the wear and tear.

I have a pair of 12" Weber's. They don't sound anything like a Jensen and the frequency response is awful.

I plan on dumping them on ebay at some point, maybe make enough to re-cone my Altecs.

Archived