Need advice choosing an amp

Eng.Greene

• Members

Howdy

So I'm planning on getting a new (tube) amp next month, and I could use some shopping advice.

To start I need something with at least decent cleans that works well with pedals. Second biggest sell factor is an ability to play lighter and heavier stuff with the same rig. My style is pretty eclectic and I'm thinking of a range between sort of dark psychedelic/alternative/fuzzy (Dead Meadow, Smashing Pumpkins, Queens of the Stone Age, Truck Fighters) and well...metal (Gojira, Burzum, Darkthrone, Sleep) I've been looking mostly at Orange and old Ampeg stuff so feedback on those is my main priority, though I'm not ruling out other brands. I'm an effects nerd, but I almost never use more than two at a time (usually delay/reverb and my civil war muff clone or other fuzz/distortion...emphasis on the big muff) I'm a heavy rhythm player and generally have a Danelectro 56-U2 with a humbucker, or an epiphone G-310. I can weed through the kind of wattage and crap I need myself, just need opinions on sound and multitasking ability especially. My price ceiling is $1200+ and the cheaper the better.

• Members

You have to watch out on some of the older Ampeg stuff. Heads like the V2, V4 and others used a multi pinned tube which I believe are discontinued (last time I checked)

You didn't mention if you're looking for a head, Head and cab, Combo or wattage ranges. These are important factors for giving any kind of advice.

• Members

fender twin reverb if lots of power is needed, or fender deluxe reverb if not that much

a sovtek midget 50h can be a great head for this too, i used mine quite in the same way, but you need to find on on the used market

in my mind an ac30 wouldn't be my first choice for your description, but is also a great amp

sorry not much experience with orange or ampeg amps, only know the tiny terrors are complete other animals than the rocker 50 heads and so on, different amp design and different sound, i guess all of them are good but each of them fill different needs

• Members

I literally just posted about this...and I know it's a strange suggestion but have you ever played your rig through a bass amp?? I use a aguilar tone hammer 500 and ashdown rootmaster 420 and with the right pedals/guitar and settings/style adjustment you can get ripping solo leads, {censored}ing retarded heavy rhythm and sparkling cleans.... I play bass amps in my band Drew N the Sea . we have some stuff on soundcloud if you look us up, then you can hear what they sound like! I just find that especially for versatility they are awesome because of the huge frequency range. Like I said you need the right pedals to make it sound like a guitar rig, I use a sansamp para driver to emulate tube sound. It's not perfect but they're way more reliable(solid state), more portable, louder depending on your rig and for me a perfect fit....just a thought!

• Members

There is some good info in the link below about the 7027A power tubes used in the V2 & V4 ampegs. Basically, the 7027A tubes have caused a lot of unnecessary worry over the years with the 6L6GC being a drop in replacement in the Ampegs (assuming the amp hasn't been modified in the past for some other power tube). Of course it's noted the amp needs to be checked out to make sure it's in good shape before you start plugging in any type of tube.

http://www.triodeel.com/7027.htm

You have to watch out on some of the older Ampeg stuff. Heads like the V2, V4 and others used a multi pinned tube which I believe are discontinued (last time I checked)

Yes, 7027's, and they can be hard to find...

If it was me, I'd just look for a suitable combo or head (as you said, the OP didn't specify a preference) in the right wattage range that had killer cleans and then let your pedals handle the rest. IMHO something like a Big Muff usually sounds best running into a clean amp, and less wonderful running into a dirty amp. YMMV.

• Members

The 6K11 preamp tube in the Ampegs are no longer being made so you have to buy New Old stock on them. That tube is what made those amps so cool sounding because it wired in for all those great midrange settings. I saw a few out there for around $40 and if you did buy like a V2 or V4 it would be something you'd want to replace. You can buy the 12AX7 and 7027 tubes new so those aren't hard to find.

Archived