X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shred-o-holic

This may kill my resale but honestly I haven't noticed a huge difference. Some people claim there is becuz supposedly egnator uses better components. I've never tried the Randall SL+. JKD had my SL++ along with his Randall version for a brief stint and may chime in with his impression of the two...

OK...so I had the two side by side in the amp. I have to say the only difference really is the extra voicing switch you get on the Eggie vs. the Randall. I didn't study what the voicing switch actually did electrically but it sounded more open in one mode than the other and chances are it shifts the mids.

Unfortunately I think I learned how to dial in the SL+ after I gave shred the Eggie back. I didn't like the SL+ (either version) at first...too unfocussed but the 'secret' is (as with most amps I suppose) to open it up (Channel vol. 9 o'clock, Power amp/Master at 12 o'clock or greater.)

I had been thinking that the SL+ was too dark also....guess what happened after I changed my strings this weekend? Sounded much brighter and the overbearing bass impression I had been getting was almost gone...DOH! (Homer J moment.)

I also discovered the RM100 is *very* boost friendly. I "Bad Monkey'd" it up this weekend:

Level - Max
    Low - 9 o'clock
    High - 12 to 1:30 o'clock
    Gain - <= 9 o'clock

That said - clearly the Egnater version is largely handcrafted. A quick look at it revelead:

1. Different switching - looked like the Eggie version had some sort of relay vs the FET switch on the Randall
    2. Higher spec components
    3. The board layout looked a little different overall - but this could have just been PCB revisions???

Would it be more reliable long term? I don't know. I think you get a lifetime warranty with the Eggie version but Randall aren't slow on support either (in fact they are awesome!)

Another observation from this weekend (I spent a couple of hrs annoying the wife):

Now I opened the amp up some more (and changed strings)...can actually here a large difference between the Plexi and SL+ modules even when EQ'd similarly.

The Plexi does a mean version of Hangar 18 (with a boost..although it could probably get there without with gain maxed)...am still struggling with recording it though.
    SPAM (paypal, shipped and insured to lwr48):

N'OWT!

Originally Posted by NICE47

**************** and mother****************ing tits, I kind of just want some mother****************ing clips

Comment

• Originally posted by MitchSchaft
      Damnit, JKD, I was gonna jump on that maybe . I better try this modern out first, though. They tried to deliver it yesterday but I wasn't home.

I want to see if the Ultra Lead is as noisy as my Ultra (in theory it could be noisier...I think it has *more* gain!!!! but maybe more compressed)

If it is quieter then I'll send my Ultra in for service I think.

If I can score the UL then chances are I'll only keep one of 'em so one will be up for sale soon. In any case, am quite happy to lend you my Ultra (or the UL if I get it.)

USPS man returned my Ultra yesterday and I was out too :-/

N'OWT!

**************** and mother****************ing tits, I kind of just want some mother****************ing clips

Comment

• Hey RD/MAN can you perform the resistor and cap mod on my modules?

Comment

• If you're not too uncomfortable with it, you can ship 'em my way and I'll do it fer free. I'd have to ask you pay shipping, though.

Comment

• @shred-o-holic

Got my Ultra back today..I guess it is kind of noisy but thankfully no noiser than when I sent it....so it didn't get damaged in the mail like you first thought.

With the gain <=12 the hiss is bearable (assuming 9 to 10 o'clock on module master and dialing in the volume from the power amp)

What's weird is, I put my gate in the loop (series) and it can't kill the hiss....

The other modules I have don't have this problem but then again none of them have gain approaching that of the Ultra (the Recto would be closest)

N'OWT!

Comment

If you're not too uncomfortable with it, you can ship 'em my way and I'll do it fer free. I'd have to ask you pay shipping, though.

I'm uncomfortable with bothering you to fix mine :P

Anyway, I'm gonna see if RD/MAN or someone from Randall can fix it for me first. I want them to modify something in my Recto module too (probably the best module IMO. Yeah I love Mesa/Boogie Rectifiers but I also like Marshall Plexi ).

If they can't I will contact you.

Comment

• Originally posted by JKD
                @shred-o-holic

Got my Ultra back today..I guess it is kind of noisy but thankfully no noiser than when I sent it....so it didn't get damaged in the mail like you first thought.

With the gain <=12 the hiss is bearable (assuming 9 to 10 o'clock on module master and dialing in the volume from the power amp)

What's weird is, I put my gate in the loop (series) and it can't kill the hiss....

The other modules I have don't have this problem but then again none of them have gain approaching that of the Ultra (the Recto would be closest)

Cool man.......glad she's home safe and sound......have you received the XTC module yet? Thats my fave with the Recto trailing a close second...So there is an Ultra and an Ultra lead?
                Originally Posted by Light em Up

the internet is the place where fools teach fools..

Comment

Cool man.......glad she's home safe and sound......have you received the XTC module yet? Thats my fave with the Recto trailing a close second...So there is an Ultra and an Ultra lead?

Hearing that makes me look forward to the XTC module since I think the Recto is pretty amazing.

I have 2 SL+ modules right now (the dude ordered me the wrong module) and they are waiting on Randall to deliver them a new batch of XTCs.

An Ultra and an Ultra Lead....yes sireee! That guy didn't reply about my top boost trade though :-/

N'OWT!

Comment

• Is the Ultra Lead based on the VHT UL?

Comment

Is the Ultra Lead based on the VHT UL?

Never owned one....but I'd guess so. What does the clip on Randall's site sound like?

I figure it has to be based on either the VHT UL or the Peavey (Ultra)

N'OWT!

Comment

• Another rehearsal........another kick ass night with the RM.............

Comment

• I gotta wait 'til Sunday to do mine again. I can't wait to try out the Modern module. I think the recto is to "middy" for me or something.

Comment

• Monday for my next practice...
                            Then I'll be making the decision on wether to trade off the Ultralead or XTC module... There all so good, I think I may just have to run dual RM4s and have 8 modules on tap!
                            ~Kurt
                            http://www.sbgband.com
                            Randall RM4 preamp(Clean, Tweed, Plexi, XTC, and 1086 modules), Randall RT2/50 poweramp, Randall 2x12 NXT cabinet, Parker Fly Deluxe, Les Paul Classic Antique, and various Fender Guitars, Line 6 X2 Digital Wireless, Peavey Mics, Rane parametric EQs, Bad Monkey Overdrive and G-Force w/ Ground Control for effects.

Comment

• Originally posted by kurtisqpublic
                              Monday for my next practice...
                              Then I'll be making the decision on wether to trade off the Ultralead or XTC module... There all so good, I think I may just have to run dual RM4s and have 8 modules on tap!
                              ~Kurt

So what does the Ultralead sound like? What's it based off? And how does it compare to the XTC? I have an Egnator SL++ for sale or possible trade if anyone wants it...

Comment

I gotta wait 'til Sunday to do mine again. I can't wait to try out the Modern module. I think the recto is to "middy" for me or something.

I liked that module........I just like the XTC and Recto modules better.......I almost bought that module off Steve though......it's pretty good......

Comment

Working...
                                X