X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bangerleaver

I have done it and it makes a big difference in the midrange. The mod brings out an "800-ish" midrange grind and fills out the sound of the module.

Is it better than the SL or just different where it would be cool to have both to have 2 different Marshall sounds?

Did you do the cap/resistor as well?

Comment

• Jisham, could you go into more depth about why you are selling it please?
      <div class="signaturecontainer">http://www.myspace.com/kranknine<br />
      Myspace band site, with Soldano recordings.<br />
      <br />
      <br />
      <br />
      </div>

Comment

• off topic here guy's i have a modern module that i would like to trade for a plexi,,sl,,sl+,,or ultra lead. you can email me at
        tubetone@ntl.sympatico.ca
        <div class="signaturecontainer">its all in your hands</div>

Comment

• Originally posted by zakkerhoads
          Jisham, could you go into more depth about why you are selling it please?

I just want something different.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><br />
          Rockin' in the free world . . .<br />
          <br />
          <br />
          </div>

Comment

• Originally posted by jt22jt
            p.s. is the sound decent at low volumes (in an apt)? I also kind of dig the silver traditional cover as opposed to the see through grills. the silver come with 6L6's. Can you change to EL34's? any real difference between the 2 as far as getting a good Slayer, Pantera, Hatebreed, Zakk Wylde, sound? thanks.

These amps are extremely loud! The sound doesnt really start to get good until half volume. So it might be hard to play in an apartment, run it through a 2x12 instead of a 4x12 that might help.

As to the tubes. Thats the beauty of these amps, the user friendly biasing allows you to switch to whatever tubes you want by yourself (el34, e34L, 6L6, 6550, Kt66, kt88) or even run mixed sets.

As far as sound, the Randall original modules (modern, Ultra) with 6l6s will give you a good pantera tone, and generally good metal. If you want Zakk, get the SL+ and run e34ls, or 6550s, you'll be right there. And the new 1086 module might cover alot of that ground for you.

It is also slightly disconcerting knowing that jisham is selling his rig, especially after being the first one of us to get the 1086. But I guess if you want that cobra tone you need the cobra.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">current gear:<br />
            RM100m<br />
            Blackface, Top Boost, 1086<br />
            SL+ (.0022 cap mod, and mid mod), and XTC (.0022 cap mod) modules<br />
            Randall R412 CXM<br />
            Carvin x-100b<br />
            Peavey 412ms<br />
            Custom built neckthru with emgs<br />
            Parker Fly Deluxe '98<br />
            ESP LTD H-1000<br />
            Les Paul Studio '98</div>

Comment

• The reason I ask is, if I remember correctly, you were very pleased with this amp. Just wondering if you had any specifics.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">http://www.myspace.com/kranknine<br />
              Myspace band site, with Soldano recordings.<br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              </div>

Comment

• Originally posted by jisham

I just want something different.

why? I thought you loved that amp.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.excessum.nl" target="_blank">www.excessum.nl</a><br />
                <br />
                Ibanez RG320FMTL w/ DiMarzio Tonezone<br />
                Ibanez RG320FMAM w/ Seymour Duncan Invader<br />
                Randall RM100M <br />
                » Recto module<br />
                » XTC module<br />
                » Brown module<br />
                Randall 412 Cabinets</div>

Comment

• thanks duke

Comment

• Originally posted by TOStudent

Is it better than the SL or just different where it would be cool to have both to have 2 different Marshall sounds?

Did you do the cap/resistor as well?

It is alot different and better to my ears. Kinda brings the midrange of the XTC into the SL+ . I did the Cap mod as well and the module is a screamer now. I've been using it in my Mod 100 along with the Egnater SL++ and they sound great used as 2 different Marshall flavors.

Comment

• Might have to try that.

I did my caps yesterday (waiting on my soldering buddy)
                      Got about 3-4 hrs with it
                      Recto- tighter, still deep
                      SL+- Cuts well and really in your face. Sounds very DSL to me.
                      Browm- This one suprised me alot seems to have boosted the gain. I really like this one.

But I still think that my favorite is the 1086.
                      Incredibly versitile. Like 4 modules in one with the switches.
                      I think it covers anything from Marshall to Bogner (not XTC) some Mesa. I could probably stop now that I have this.

The only one that I was bummed about was the blackface.
                      i did not like after the resistor change. Took some of the gain out and made it bassy in a bad way. Boomy

Comment

• Originally posted by TOStudent
                        The only one that I was bummed about was the blackface.
                        i did not like after the resistor change. Took some of the gain out and made it bassy in a bad way. Boomy

That's good to know. I have been debating on whether to do the resistor mod on mine, but I like it the way it is, so I don't think I will.

Comment

• RM4 owners...

Can you use the Pre-loop Out and the Post-Loop Out at the same time? Or will using one defeat the other?

I was wondering if I could use the Pre-loop Out strictly to feed a tuner, keeping the tuner out of the signal path...then use the signal from the Post Loop Out straight to the power amp.

???

-Gary

Comment

• hi, i am new here.. been entering this forum for at least a month and i have gotten lots of nice infos about the rm.. Well, i have $850 for now and i am really thinking of what amps i am going to buy. I sold my warhead bcoz it sound lifeless and dull and i want to try tubes. I own a rocktron prophesy before and i liked the sound but sometimes i am pissed off by some of its digital characteristics with regards to sound. I play heavy metal most of the time but also play satriani, vai and petrucci songs. I am in a cover band but since i have a new job, my gigs lessened so it means il be using the amp mostly in my bedroom. My cover band plays PANTERA, Disturbed, Prong,Alice in Chains, Sevendust and sometimes metallica.. My other band has a girl vocalist and we play RNBs.

I need your suggestions on this.. I am considering a RM100 bcoz of its versatility and the good reviews here. I own an MXR 10 eq, furman pq-3 for tone shaping and i am really digging on an in your face heavy sound ala vulgar display of power. I am thinking also of buying a RH100G2 and a CARVIN MT/PEAVEY XXX gig. By the way, can the RH100/200G2 sound similar to old RG100es? How can you differentiate the sound between the RH100/200G2 between the RANDALL WARHEAD?

Also, since i am new to tube amps, how long would tubes really last? Do i need to change every month? I need your help on this coz i cant try one here bcoz randall is not sold in the philippines. I will just ask my cousin in the US to buy it for me.

Thanks>>>>>>>>>

Comment

• Howdy rykharl, welcome to the forum!

I think the Randall would be a good choice for you although you might be hard pressed to find a head with modules for $850. If you also need a cabinet then you're way short. If you want the combo, you'll probably need to come up with some more funds as well. You could get one of the smaller heads/combos that only hold 2 modules for that price.

As for power tubes, that depends on how often and how loud you play. It also depends greatly on on the tube manufacturer and whether or not you are running the tubes within their suggestion specifications (i.e. bias levels) or not.

Preamp tubes will generally last for quite a long time. You'll know when one starts going bad because you'll stand there looking at your amp and wondering why the hell it sounds so bad.

Matt

Comment

• OK, so I did the cap mods on 3 of my modules last night: Recto, SL+, and Brown. I used .001uF for all. If you haven't done this mod I *highly* recommend it. I was getting frustrated a bit because it was hard for me to dial out some of the flabby bass. These mods made the attack very quick, tightened up the bass, and took away some of the fizz. Setting the gain to about 10 o'clock, the level at around 2 o'clock, EQing to taste, and the master volume on whatever your ears or small pets can handle before liquifying yields a much better sound out of this amp. I am considering doing the mod to my JTM module (although it already has a .0022uF instead of the .0047uF cap). I also think I'm going to go ahead and do the JCM800 mod to the SL+ module as the Brown module does a pretty good hot-rodded Marshall sound.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X