Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Randall MTS thread.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new RM4 and two modules arrived last night...two more modules are on the way from other sources. My VHT 2/50/2 power amp, however, probably won't be here for another week or two, so I won't get to fire up the new rig for a while.

In the meantime, was wondering about one of the modules I just got...it's an Ultra Lead, old stock, and appears to have the original .00047 cap. I know from reading here that almost everybody prefers the Rectos and XTCs with a smaller cap....what about the Ultra Lead? For anybody who's done the switch on this mod, what was the result?

FYI, I intend to use this mod only for lead, no rhythm work.

Thanks,
    Gary

Comment

• I like my ultra lead with the cap mod more. It's a cool module but I still want to ditch it... maybe for a top boost... I want a more interesting clean tone!
      ~Kurt
      http://www.sbgband.com
      Randall RM4 preamp(Clean, Tweed, Plexi, XTC, and 1086 modules), Randall RT2/50 poweramp, Randall 2x12 NXT cabinet, Parker Fly Deluxe, Les Paul Classic Antique, and various Fender Guitars, Line 6 X2 Digital Wireless, Peavey Mics, Rane parametric EQs, Bad Monkey Overdrive and G-Force w/ Ground Control for effects.

Comment

• Originally posted by kurtisqpublic
        I like my ultra lead with the cap mod more. It's a cool module but I still want to ditch it... maybe for a top boost... I want a more interesting clean tone!
        ~Kurt

What size cap did you use for the mod?

Comment

• Oh man... It's been a while it was the two micro farrad or whatever the suggested switch is. I'm having a real bad day!

~Kurt
          http://www.sbgband.com
          Randall RM4 preamp(Clean, Tweed, Plexi, XTC, and 1086 modules), Randall RT2/50 poweramp, Randall 2x12 NXT cabinet, Parker Fly Deluxe, Les Paul Classic Antique, and various Fender Guitars, Line 6 X2 Digital Wireless, Peavey Mics, Rane parametric EQs, Bad Monkey Overdrive and G-Force w/ Ground Control for effects.

Comment

• To the topboost question, I agree the topboost is quieter, but the gain affects the volume quite a bit. and the XTC is very loud. That is why the level control is so important, it takes a while to get them all at the same level.

I cap modded my XTC with the orange drop .001u cap from the torres engineering site. It sounds much better now, and its a really easy mod.
            current gear:
            RM100m
            Blackface, Top Boost, 1086
            SL+ (.0022 cap mod, and mid mod), and XTC (.0022 cap mod) modules
            Randall R412 CXM
            Carvin x-100b
            Peavey 412ms
            Custom built neckthru with emgs
            Parker Fly Deluxe '98
            ESP LTD H-1000
            Les Paul Studio '98

Comment

• Okay I need a bias help.
              I got a volt meter from work and when I run DC @ 200.
              I run my red on the test point and I am grounding black on the chasis.

No reading on any of the 4 points.
              I called Randall and they said all that I should have to do is touch the inside of the test point.

Any ideas?
              I know the meter works I used it on my JSX

Comment

• For the ground are you touching the chassis or are you actually inserting it into the 'common' test point? Also, make sure the amp is in 'play' mode and not 'standby' mode. I know these are the 'no-brainer' suggestions, but sometimes the obvious is overlooked (which could be a personal motto of mine).

Matt

Comment

• You have to put the black lead of the meter into the "common" test point. You are measuring bias to the tubes, it doesnt ground to the chassis like that.

Also you can put the black and red in test points 1 &2 or 3&4 to make sure the difference between tubes is less than 5mv.
                  current gear:
                  RM100m
                  Blackface, Top Boost, 1086
                  SL+ (.0022 cap mod, and mid mod), and XTC (.0022 cap mod) modules
                  Randall R412 CXM
                  Carvin x-100b
                  Peavey 412ms
                  Custom built neckthru with emgs
                  Parker Fly Deluxe '98
                  ESP LTD H-1000
                  Les Paul Studio '98

Comment

• Alright here's kind of a stupid question but I'm asking it anyway. How do I actually go about changing the caps and how do I know what one to replace? I'm asking because I seriously I have no clue how it's done. And what kind of cap would you reccomend for the SL+?

Comment

• You can check out here for suggestions for component changes on the modules: http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html?PHPSESSID=ee57cc10633fa30a3d0e4 6fd480ea6cd

As for the 'how', you use a soldering iron to remove them and then place the new ones on. If you don't know how to solder, I would suggest you get someone else to do the mod for you. If you like you can send the module to me and I will do it for you (no charge except the cost of parts and return shipping).

Matt

Comment

• 2 questions:

Has anyone done the mid mod from Grail.com on the SL module?
                        Does it get that JCM 800 sound like it suggests?

Has anyone done the cap mod on the Brown?

Comment

• I just ordered a Framus Cobra rig and after much consideration, I'm going to sell my Limited Edition Snow Camo RM100 head and cab. This is one only five made in snow camo expecially for Boogie Street Guitars.

Everything's in mint condition. The cab is an XL, loaded with V30s and has the Mic Eliminator. The head has stock tubes (EH preamp tubes and JJ E34Ls in the power section) and I'll throw in a matched quad of Ruby 6L6s.

Empty head and cab: $1600 plus shipping

Available Modules ($110 each except the Donegan):

Clean
                          Ultra (has cap mod)
                          Recto (has cap mod)
                          Plexi
                          XTC

1086 Donegan module: $175

If someone wants the head/cab and three modules, we can discuss a package price.

PLEASE EMAIL ME AT JDISHAM AT COMCAST DOT NET instead of sending a PM. Thanks.
                          Rockin' in the free world . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by TOStudent
                            2 questions:

Has anyone done the mid mod from Grail.com on the SL module?
                            Does it get that JCM 800 sound like it suggests?

Has anyone done the cap mod on the Brown?

I have done it and it makes a big difference in the midrange. The mod brings out an "800-ish" midrange grind and fills out the sound of the module.

Comment

• What's up guys? I'm thinking about getting the RM100. My favorite heavy tones are Slayer, Zakk Wylde, Pantera, Prong, And Justice for All Metallica, George Lynch, and Hatebreed. What modules do you suggest I get to get close to those as I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio with EMG's (81&85). Thanks for the help!

Comment

• p.s. is the sound decent at low volumes (in an apt)? I also kind of dig the silver traditional cover as opposed to the see through grills. the silver come with 6L6's. Can you change to EL34's? any real difference between the 2 as far as getting a good Slayer, Pantera, Hatebreed, Zakk Wylde, sound? thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X