B-52 Tri-Mode Rectifier vs. Mesa Triple Rectifier

Donarskjold

• Members

Hey, I'm looking around at heavy metal amps, and I've come across an interesting comparison. Here's the specs:

1. B-52 AT-100 100W Tube Guitar Amp with Tri Mode Rectifier

100W all-tube power

Tri-Mode Rectifier: Tube A, Tube AB1, or Solid State

Overdrive Channel: Gain 1 and Gain 2 with Independent Master Volumes, 3-Band EQ, Assignable Contour Control

Clean Channel: Master Volume, 3-Band EQ, Bright Switch

Global Controls: Volume, Low-Res (Resonance), Reverb

Effects loop with level (footswitchable)

Line out with level

Selectable 4, 8, or 16 ohms

Speaker jacks

4-button footswitch: Channel, Gain, Reverb, and Effects Loop

Ground lift switch

13-ply Baltic birch construction

27"W x 11"H x 11"D

52 lbs.

Price Tag: $700

2. Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier

150 Watts all-tube

Bias Select Switch for 6L6 or EL34 Tubes

3 Independent Channels with 8 Modes

Footswitchable Output and Solo Level Controls

4, 8 or 16 ohm Speaker Inputs

Rectifier Select Switch for Tube Rectifier or Silicon Diodes

Bold/Spongy Variac Switch

FX Loop with Send/Return

Slave Out

External Switching Inputs

Fixed Bias

5 Button Footswitch

Price Tag: $1,250

What do you think?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that specs on paper are a terrible way to judge quality.

Good point.

I've played the Triple Rectifier and the B52.

I'd pick the Triple Rec, but that's me. The B52 didn't sound bad by any means. If you want some more in depth info, try and find shreder75. I think he used to have one actually, might have some clips as well.

• Members

I think the price tag makes the AT-100 a Triple Rec killer. I mean, $700 new? And with no shipping from musiciansfriend?

I read about a dozen AT-100 harmony reviews and it appears this head can do no wrong. It definitely wouldn't be a REGRETTABLE purchase, by any means.

• Members

They both sound really good but I would take the Mesa first myself. some guys I have heard like the B-52's better and at that price point they are a steal. I think they would be more popular if it weren't for the dumb name and cheesy cosmetics.

• Members

I think the price tag makes the AT-100 a Triple Rec killer. I mean, $700 new? And with no shipping from musiciansfriend?

I read about a dozen AT-100 harmony reviews and it appears this head can do no wrong. It definitely wouldn't be a REGRETTABLE purchase, by any means.

The AT-100s are not very reliable. A guy I know is on his 3rd one in like 6 months. On top of that, two other people I know are on their second one after only 3 and 5 months.

• Members

I've got an At-100. And the day i bought it, I had just been at the Mesa shop and play tested a few Mesas, including a Triple Rec. They really don't sound alike, but both share a similar bright quality. Personally, I think the B-52's sound pretty good, much better than you'd expect for the price. I did have a power tube go bad on me. I've heard that the stock tubes aren't the best. I'm about to retube the whole thing with JJ's 6L6's and a combo of Tungsol and JJ preamp tubes. Should be interesting...

Archived