Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the gay is a power amp?

I was browsing guitar geek rigs and noticed Kurt Cobains 1994 setup and Eddie Van Halens 1997 both used "power amps" EVH also had his peavy head but Cobain only had the power amps. Are powwer amps significantly different than normal heads? What are the pros and cons of these units? Why don't more players use them? Can they be used in place of a normal head? SWEET THANKS
    Jackson Dkm2
    Peavey Valve King 112
    Laney mxd 120 that doesn't work
    Morley BHW 2
    Mod Tone aqua chorus

I lol'd at the title.

Comment

Srs ?
      " "Best toan in teh land" - champion

Good Buyers/Sellers :Mikenothing , SirKonks,Dimebag11 x2,Dropped_2_c,Boris the Blade,thefyn,MrSandman,Gabe15,GuidanceOfSin,shane1 59 X2,Mparsons,rabott13,warplangrey,iamthearm, SkyHighRocks,RobotBodiesBFF,Tu Be x2,IanDOL,Fridgit,Jim Ansell ,GutterMouth,LionHeaRT07 ,Zao X2,m3at,Bluesman001,Khoifish321,thinkpad20,vangkm, juice,phatgirl,Trembulant,knope , Knucklefux, pfapin,rareguitar,donsimon76, again with this, Jerry Dyer, eagertokill,rugbyguitargod

Comment

I was browsing guitar geek rigs and noticed Kurt Cobains 1994 setup and Eddie Van Halens 1997 both used "power amps" EVH also had his peavy head but Cobain only had the power amps. Are powwer amps significantly different than normal heads? What are the pros and cons of these units? Why don't more players use them? Can they be used in place of a normal head? SWEET THANKS
        no preamp section.
        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
        www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
        -For Sale:
        -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
        -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
        - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
        - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
        - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Oh, and
          ABNORMALITY

My solo work
          My former, ancient, long-defunct band

The rig of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM:
          Gary Kramer Turbulence T
          Ibanez RG7620
          Peavey Wolfgang Special
          Mesa/Boogie Mark IV wide combo
          Steelsound 4x12 cab
          Line6 PODxt
          Morley Bad Horsie II
          Digitech Whammy

Comment

no preamp section.

wah?
            Jackson Dkm2
            Peavey Valve King 112
            Morley BHW 2
            Mod Tone aqua chorus

Comment

Comment

wah?
                no wah section either.
                tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                -For Sale:
                -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

They might have had wahs.

Good Buyers/Sellers :Mikenothing , SirKonks,Dimebag11 x2,Dropped_2_c,Boris the Blade,thefyn,MrSandman,Gabe15,GuidanceOfSin,shane1 59 X2,Mparsons,rabott13,warplangrey,iamthearm, SkyHighRocks,RobotBodiesBFF,Tu Be x2,IanDOL,Fridgit,Jim Ansell ,GutterMouth,LionHeaRT07 ,Zao X2,m3at,Bluesman001,Khoifish321,thinkpad20,vangkm, juice,phatgirl,Trembulant,knope , Knucklefux, pfapin,rareguitar,donsimon76, again with this, Jerry Dyer, eagertokill,rugbyguitargod

Comment

Power Amp:

Preamp:

Comment

no wah section either.

...no?
                      Jackson Dkm2
                      Peavey Valve King 112
                      Morley BHW 2
                      Mod Tone aqua chorus

Comment

Comment

Power Amp:

Preamp:

Nifty, I am aware of what a preamp and power look like, I am just unfamiliar with their purpose. I am not a rich bitch who has my parents buy me everything I want so I am stuck with simple combo amps and whatnot. I have been saving up for a new head and came across these power and preamp thinger dingers and was intrigued.
                          Jackson Dkm2
                          Peavey Valve King 112
                          Morley BHW 2
                          Mod Tone aqua chorus

Comment

Sorry , you must be a rich bitch to play like the big boys .
                            Have fun with your combo thingies though .

Comment

k its like this

a regular amp head contains both a poweramp and preamp. In the most simple terms(and I'm probably not 100% right on this), the preamp shapes the tone, it's your EQ basically. Poweramp makes it loud, but also has an effect on the tone and overall sound.

The reason you'd use seperate power/preamps is because you have a much wider variety of sounds that you can get from combining different types and sounds. You can also run a preamp or poweramp with a regular amp head in place of its pre/poweramp.
                              BAND
                              CRABCORE
                              e-peen:

G&L ASAT Classic
                              Fender American Roadhouse Strat
                              ESP Hybrid II
                              Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce Stage II
                              Orange PPC412

Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

That thing tickling your throat? It's my cock in your mouth, suck it. Suck it good.

Comment

Working...
                              X