Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As do I, but locally grown produce can also be GM

Not if you buy from the right people, the disclaimer being that GM/GE strains from neighbors fields can infiltrate unknown to farmers.

We have a couple of local organic farms around here that participate in the farmers market, and do home delivery.
    Originally Posted by LoopQuantumIt would never work. You're in outerspace, and breathing is a bitch.Originally Posted by BrendanOThere is something very wrong with a situation when I'd rather sleep with the naked cowboy.Vice President o' teh boosted midz clubGreat deals with; ENdtime, OverDriven, outforblood

Comment

Mexico.

Florida produces about 75% of the U.S. oranges: http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=95

Florida produces virtually all the fresh-market, field-grown tomatoes
      in the US from October through June each year, and accounts for
      about 50% of all fresh tomatoes produced domestically: http://www.floridatomatoes.org/tomato%20101.pdf

Comment

Florida produces about 75% of the U.S. oranges: http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=95

Florida produces virtually all the fresh-market, field-grown tomatoes
        in the US from October through June each year, and accounts for
        about 50% of all fresh tomatoes produced domestically: http://www.floridatomatoes.org/tomato%20101.pdf

Mexico.
        There is no order in the world, save what death has put there.

Billows
        Fender::Matamp::Acoustic

Comment

I always find it hilarious to see organic food grown in Mexico.

how organic could it be? Watering it with **************** water, pesticides that are considered organic, etc.

Then people pay more for it. Lol

Show's how little you know. The fields are tested and certified, and the produce is randomly tested. The fact is that you have a much greater chance of your food being contaminated with ****************-water or sludge buying American produce that is not organic certified.

Also, if you're a smart shopper the price difference is negligible, and sometimes non-existent.
          Originally Posted by LoopQuantumIt would never work. You're in outerspace, and breathing is a bitch.Originally Posted by BrendanOThere is something very wrong with a situation when I'd rather sleep with the naked cowboy.Vice President o' teh boosted midz clubGreat deals with; ENdtime, OverDriven, outforblood

Comment

Perhaps someone should state that not all "modifed" veggies are bad. BUT the way Monsanto and the ilk are doing is just plain obscene.
            '12 Carvin DC800
            '08 Loomis FR EMG 707's
            ---
            Splawn Quickrod EL34's (Purple)
            AxeFX Ultra
            ART SLA-2

http://www.youtube.com/aconstantbattle
            ---
            Super Sexy Splawn Society

Comment

Not if you buy from the right people, the disclaimer being that GM/GE strains from neighbors fields can infiltrate unknown to farmers.

We have a couple of local organic farms around here that participate in the farmers market, and do home delivery.

The term organic has a very different meaning now than it did ten years ago. The application process went down from a few months to a few days. Just because it says it's organic doesn't carry the same weight it once did. Newholland, who unfortunately doesn't post around here any more was a cert organic farmer opened my eyes to this fact.

That being said, being able to talk to the people who planted and harvested those fruits and veggies is a big plus!

Billows

Comment

Show's how little you know. The fields are tested and certified, and the produce is randomly tested. The fact is that you have a much greater chance of your food being contaminated with ****************-water or sludge buying American produce that is not organic certified.

Also, if you're a smart shopper the price difference is negligible, and sometimes non-existent.

So what you're saying is, an American testing organization travels to Mexico and at random, tests products? Right?

Comment

Mexico.

World Citrus Production:

Country Grapefruit Lemons & limes Oranges Total
                  Brazil 72,000 1,060,000 18,279,309 20,682,309
                  China 547,000 745,100 2,865,000 19,617,100
                  U.S. 1,580,000 722,000 7,357,000 10,017,000
                  Mexico 390,000 1,880,000 4,160,000 6,851,000

Comment

The term organic has a very different meaning now than it did ten years ago. The application process went down from a few months to a few days. Just because it says it's organic doesn't carry the same weight it once did. Newholland, who unfortunately doesn't post around here any more was a cert organic farmer opened my eyes to this fact.

That being said, being able to talk to the people who planted and harvested those fruits and veggies is a big plus!

Correction, if I recall correctly NH was a sustenance farmer and not working for a cert organic farm, I could be wrong though.

I do find it funny all the well read people in this thread have yet to mention the fact that the term organic was changed a few years ago...

Billows

Comment

• World Citrus Production:

Country Grapefruit Lemons & limes Oranges Total
                      Brazil 72,000 1,060,000 18,279,309 20,682,309
                      China 547,000 745,100 2,865,000 19,617,100
                      U.S. 1,580,000 722,000 7,357,000 10,017,000
                      Mexico 390,000 1,880,000 4,160,000 6,851,000

Mexico, Brazil same difference. Both make great cigar wrappers.

Billows

Comment

• So what you're saying is, an American testing organization travels to Mexico and at random, tests products? Right?

Somethings you just have to learn for yourself.

There are numerous organic certification programs, and the farmers pay to have their crops organic certified. If they try to play the certification organizations they pay for it. There are US based one, and international ones based in numerous countries.

Go ahead and look some of them up.

http://www.scscertified.com/fff/organic_transitional.php

Comment

• The term organic has a very different meaning now than it did ten years ago. The application process went down from a few months to a few days. Just because it says it's organic doesn't carry the same weight it once did. Newholland, who unfortunately doesn't post around here any more was a cert organic farmer opened my eyes to this fact.

Yes it does, thanks to big corporate farms trying to water it down to fit to the American monoculture farm industry, and move it away from the sustainable farming model.

Comment

• Somethings you just have to learn for yourself.

There are numerous organic certification programs, and the farmers pay to have their crops organic certified. If they try to play the certification organizations they pay for it. There are US based one, and international ones based in numerous countries.

Go ahead and look some of them up.

http://www.scscertified.com/fff/organic_transitional.php

So you would believe that these foreign testers couldn't be persuaded by money?

How about a bigger picture, if certification was the same there, and a farm already owned a copious amount of land, what would spark instant relocation to the country of Mexico to continue growing organic produce? Why wouldn't they stay in America?

Comment

• So you would believe that these foreign testers couldn't be persuaded by money?

How about a bigger picture, if certification was the same there, and a farm already owned a copious amount of land, what would spark instant relocation to the country of Mexico to continue growing organic produce? Why wouldn't they stay in America?

Lower land costs, lower wages, governmental economic incentives such as subsidies and tax breaks, the same things that prompt any corporation to move operations.

Comment

• So you would believe that these foreign testers couldn't be persuaded by money?

Ok, the same could be said of any industry, and I would counter saying that then even if corrupted then how much more corruption and pass through of unsafe foods would you face from regular produce inspectors.

Take for instance the e-coli scare we had two years ago, and the salmonella scare this year. Notice no organic companies were cited in the warnings. Who was the corrupt party that let those slip by?

I tell you I was quite happy knowing that more care and pride is placed in the product by my organic producers, thus saving me the fear of worrying about every time I ate spinach or eggs.

Comment

Working...
                                X