Anroid dudes

isvoid

• Members

Which phone, HTC Raider or Samsung Galaxy II LTE?

Leaning toward the latter but I know {censored} about them really. Specs only tell part of the story, frequently not the most important details like reliability, software stability yada.

Got stories? Share? Thanks.

PS: Probably going with Rogers. Have been with them a couple years and they haven't done anything to piss me off, unlike Telus who will never have my business again /mini rant.

/iz

• Members

mine is glitchy as {censored}. i've gone to the verizon store on numerous occasions with my complaints, and they've basically told me "it's a droid, it's going to screw up. deal with it." without actually saying it.

there are some issues that i have that i think are specific to HTC stuff, though. at this point, i'm waiting for the 1 year warranty to end, then i'm rooting it. maybe a third party OS won't be bugged out like every google OS so far =/

• Members

I have a GSII (had it nearly 6 months now), no glitch issues so far. Battery life isn't amazing (if you're using a lot of widgets and web browsing, using lots of apps etc you'll get about a day out of it), but that's my only complaint.

I've heard of a few issues with HTC phones. I preferred the user interface on the Samsung, it just felt nicer and faster than the HTC Sensation I tried at the same time. Also, the AMOLED screen is great. Really vibrant and great contrast.

• Members

I've had the SGS2 LTE for a couple of weeks now. I wouldn't say it's been particularly glitchy, definitely less than the BB Torch it replaced. The biggest thing for me,has been getting used to the OS. The only real issue I had at first was that the case I got for it really messed up the call quality but I switched to an Otterbox Commuter and it works good now. When you have a good LTE signal it's really fast

• Members

I've had 3 android phones. The first one, the droid X2, and briefly, the new Nexus.

As with all Android phones, they were all glitchy, the Nexus was the least so at least they are getting polished.

They are all very user-friendly, IF you are a tech-dweeb and take the time to really learn about how the OS works inside and out.

If you are a tech moron, don't give a {censored} because it's just a phone, or for some other reason don't care about how technologically advanced you are with a palm device, I recommend a non-android phone, or if you are a hipster, listen to a lot of music and want to simplify your iPod setup, or caught one on sale, go for an Iphone.

• Members

If you are a tech moron, don't give a {censored} because it's just a phone, or for some other reason don't care about how technologically advanced you are with a palm device, I recommend a non-android phone, or if you are a hipster, listen to a lot of music and want to simplify your iPod setup, or caught one on sale, go for an Iphone.

More or less this.

I love my GS2 but I would be reluctant to recommend one to someone who just wants to use the phone straight out of the box without doing anything. Android takes some tweaking to make it great. IMO it's worth it, but others may disagree.

As an aside, for people who use their phone for music and think that because they use itunes an iphone is the only solution, you can get an android to sync with itunes no problem. It's not quite as easy as just plugging in your ipod, but it's certainly workable. And Poweramp is a much better music player than itunes.

• Members

If you're looking at the galaxy nexus though, try it out first. The GSII is as big a phone as I can comfortably hold and text with one hand.

The GSII should be getting an upgrade to android 4.0 in the next 3 months or so too.

• Members

I've got an HTC glacier (aka t-mobile mytouch 4g) It was easy to root and operates flawlessly. zero problems.

HTC is generally much better at fixing problems than samsung which is what pushed me to get the mytouch instead of the galaxyS (the two top androids for tmobile at the time)

It's been nearly a year and I honestly have no desire to upgrade though I wouldn't mind giving the HTC amaze 4G simply due to the larger screen but haven't looked into rooting capabilities. rooting makes the phones ten times better IMO.

• Members

HTC's Sense UI is either love it or hate it. I like it on my Inspire. And FYI, the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus are both Samsung phones, just updated by Google and without Touchwiz, which can be just as glitchy and annoying as Sense. Before my Inspire, I had a Captivate, which I had nothing but problems with. I rooted it and put Cyanogenmod 7 on it, and it was ok-ish. Haven't even rooted my Inspire, nor felt the need and I've had it for 6 months.

• Members

I have a Galaxy S first and would definitely recommend a Galaxy II. If you spend a few hours over at www.xda-developers.com you can use custom ROMs made by the devs over there. Samsung always unlocks their bootloaders, which makes for a lot of options. They all remove the Samsung and AT&T bloatware that really glitches the performance (my iPhone bounces back to the homescreen more than my Android force closes), some remove Touchwiz, and you can get much better battery life. If you're willing to do a little work, you can make the Samsung a killer phone.

• Members

mine is glitchy as {censored}. i've gone to the verizon store on numerous occasions with my complaints, and they've basically told me "it's a droid, it's going to screw up. deal with it." without actually saying it.

there are some issues that i have that i think are specific to HTC stuff, though. at this point, i'm waiting for the 1 year warranty to end, then i'm rooting it. maybe a third party OS won't be bugged out like every google OS so far =/

If you root it, you can flash it back to stock (much like jailbreaking an iPhone) to return it under warranty. I did it with my girlfriend's Droid2.

• Members

I have a Galaxy S first and would definitely recommend a Galaxy II. If you spend a few hours over at
www.xda-developers.com
you can use custom ROMs made by the devs over there. Samsung always unlocks their bootloaders, which makes for a lot of options. They all remove the Samsung and AT&T bloatware that really glitches the performance (my iPhone bounces back to the homescreen more than my Android force closes), some remove Touchwiz, and you can get much better battery life. If you're willing to do a little work, you can make the Samsung a killer phone.

yeah I'm using virtuous unity Rom on mine. It's based on android version 2.3.3 and has sense 3.0 but sense 3.0 seemed a little bland compared to launcher pro.

The phone is WAY faster using this rom (since it not only has all the bloatware) but also uses an overclocking daemon that boosts the processor speed on demand. It drops it down really low and seems to actually save battery doing that.

My wife's mom has the galaxy IIS and it was pretty nice. I really liked the screen on it. That's really the only problem with mine. I wouldn't mind a larger screen but function wise, the phone is flawless for me and pretty much never force closes.

• Members

If you go with the HTC, I'd suggest that it'll be ice cream sandwich compatible (I have the HTC Rezound).

As far as comparing the Samsung to the HTC, just check out the specs and see what you like. Also I'd go to the store and feel both to see what feels good.

One thing to note, HTC just announced that they'll unlock the bootloader of all phones from 9/1/11 on. What that means is that you can delete all the bloatware that all carriers tack onto a phone.

Other than that, that's all I got.

• Members

Assuming you have AT&T since the only LTE Galaxy S2 that I know of is with them, so I'm going to go ahead and say the Samsung Skyrocket Galaxy S2 is the best phone on the market right now. I have the Sprint Epic Touch Galaxy S2, but it doesn't have LTE. I haven't had a SINGLE hiccup with my phone.

Archived