I Bought the EVH 5150iii.....Got a problem....

Igneroid

• Members

Picked up a brand new one last week...used it at the bar Friday and SAturday night.....getting it figured....cept channel 3.....here's the problem-

Im using a PRS 513 in single coil mode, neck pickup(stock). The gain on this channel has to be kept below about 4 as I just get microphonic feedback..sqeals like a dying rat if I go any higher than 4. Especially if I turn towards the amp to tweek/adjust....My single recto did not do this at the same volume level. Infact it never ever did that at much louder volumes...Do I have a bad pre amp tube, and if I do, how do I find it???

Thx..:D

• Members
Could be. With the amp on, try tapping on each preamp tube lightly with the eraser end of a pencil...if you hear weird stuff through the cab, theres your bad tube.

Thanks...there's a {censored}load of them(tubes) in there. That should make it easy....

• Members

Picked up a brand new one last week...used it at the bar Friday and SAturday night.....getting it figured....cept channel 3.....here's the problem-

Im using a PRS 513 in single coil mode, neck pickup(stock). The gain on this channel has to be kept below about 4 as I just get microphonic feedback..sqeals like a dying rat if I go any higher than 4. Especially if I turn towards the amp to tweek/adjust....My single recto did not do this at the same volume level. Infact it never ever did that at much louder volumes...Do I have a bad pre amp tube, and if I do, how do I find it???

Thx..
:D

There's a ton of gain on that channel - I played a 5150 (block letter) last night and with the gain past 4.5 feedback would kick in as soon as you stopped playing (this had no noisegate engaged). Not sure how that compares to the 5150III - but if the amount of gain on tap is the same, you just need to turn your gain down and deal with it.

Using a single coil with that much gain - it sorta makes sense this might happen?

• Members

Using a single coil with that much gain - it sorta makes sense this might happen?

Hadn't considered(didnt really know) this....Ill try switching to humbucker mode when Im on channel 3.....still wondering why the REcto would just do the sweet harmonic feed back at waaay louder levels than this with the gain way up(8+)...Anyways, thanks for the tip...

• Members

Thx..
:D

Like others have said...pre-amp tube. Use the pencil tap deal or just use one and insert it in every socket until you isolate the bad tube...BUT...that being said, if you bought it new, tubes are usually warranteed for 30 days. Take it back and make the store figure it out.

Other than that...how do you like the amp?

• Members
Like others have said...pre-amp tube. Use the pencil tap deal or just use one and insert it in every socket until you isolate the bad tube...BUT...that being said, if you bought it new, tubes are usually warranteed for 30 days. Take it back and make the store figure it out.

Other than that...how do you like the amp?

The amp is pretty good. Easy to set up compared to the REcto. Im figuring it out. Love channel two. Turned the gain up on that one and it rocked....Glad I bought it, barring this minor inconvienience.....It would be nice to use all three channels...Ill do the "tube tap" and take it from there...THx

• Members

My guess is that its not a tube issue , but like stated before , just a single coil + a ton of gain . On CH 3 with the gain at 4.5 , there is significantly more gain than a single Recto. CH 3 has GOBS of gain. I run my CH 3 with the gain at about 4 and I cant imagine ever wanting more than that. Its all usable gain though which is awesome

• Members

My guess is that its not a tube issue , but like stated before , just a single coil + a ton of gain . On CH 3 with the gain at 4.5 , there is significantly more gain than a single Recto. CH 3 has GOBS of gain. I run my CH 3 with the gain at about 4 and I cant imagine ever wanting more than that. Its all usable gain though which is awesome

well it's certainly easier just to plug a humbucker into the channel than take tubes out!!!!

• Members

These, come on folks, put it in gear. That much gain plus single coils? I don't care if it's NOS Siemens tube spit from the end Santa Clauses dick, that's {censored}'s going to feed back like a mother at stage volume WTF

• Members

FWIW, the stock tubes in my 5150 III were {censored}...4 of them were microphonic. V1 and V4, 5 and 6 are for the lead channel...V1 will be the most sensitive followed by V4 (for the red channel). Try swapping the tubes in different orders to see which position is the worst.

For me V1 is by far the most sensitive, and I would get ringing and a "pinging" sound just by tapping the cable plugged into the amp's input, I didn't even have to tap the tube to tell.

Replaced the {censored} JJ's with Shuguang 9th gens and it's been MUCH MUCH better. Also, if you get hum or something, check the effects loop or phase inverter tubes. replacing the FX loop tube got rid of some hum for me.

• Members

Mine is the ivory one and all them friggin knobs made tweekin a pain till I swapped all three channel volume knobs with black ones...helps on a dark stage...

Since Ive racked my amps up , its forced me to not tweak on stage once soundcheck is over. I used my 5153 live for the first time this weekend and it sounded killer. I didnt even bring the footswitch , just kept it on CH 2 and let er rip. Hit the front end with my Jeckyll and Hyde for solos if need be. I was very happy with my tone

• Members
Since Ive racked my amps up , its forced me to not tweak on stage once soundcheck is over. I used my 5153 live for the first time this weekend and it sounded killer. I didnt even bring the footswitch , just kept it on CH 2 and let er rip. Hit the front end with my Jeckyll and Hyde for solos if need be. I was very happy with my tone

Channel 2 is my fave as well. I just roll off the volume on my guitar a bit for cleaner jangley sound and pinn it for heaver sounds...

Archived