Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much gain does one REALLY need........

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much gain does one REALLY need........

...... for metal?

I'm talking about along the different styles of Dream Theater, Megadeth, McTallica, Iron Maiden, Kreator, Lamb of God.

Been playing my 5153 mini since Feb-March and, as much as I do love it, I feel that the gain and compression on channel 3 are way too much. For channel 3, I keep the gain knob at about 90-100 & this usually helps reduce some of the compression and over-the-top gain. Although I do this to help reduce he gain and compression, I can't help but feel limited in my tonal options on channel 3 (and the lack of channel one's volume). This 5153 mini is slowly becoming a one channel wonder for me, as I find the gain in channel 2 enough for the types of bands I listed above - without a boost. Still, the raw tone on channel 2 is pretty damn sweet!

Guess I'm just looking for some more experienced opinions than my own as well as some general guidance as to what the hell I need!
    Great transactions with: apowers, lp144, EdgeOfDarkness, rocknrolling, kensmith, silentrage, wrbush31, The_Dali

Guitars
    Fender HSS Strat (SD Custom + 2 Dimarzio Fast Tracks)
    Fender Telecaster (stock)
    Schecter Blackjack C7 (JB8 + '59 w/ Alnico 2)

Amps
    EVH 5150III 50 watt
    Whitebox Modern 212 loaded w/ Mesa Vintage 30 and Celestion Lead 80
    Laney AOR 30 112 combo (w/ stock Fane speaker)

Effects
    Vox V847 (modded for true bypass)
    Boss GE-7
    Boss DD-6

I use gain sparingly. I pretty much dial it in where you have a nice crunch and chords still sound coherent then add my boost for a little saturation. On my JCA22 that happens to be around 2 on the gain dial.
    Proud Member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

On my old 5150 BL, I would keep the gain on my lead channel at 10 o'clock and that was plenty for me. 5150's just have a ridiculous amount of gain.
      http://www.guitarampboard.comLike my band on FB: http://www.facebook.com/thefew1All prices include shipping to ConUS.

Comment

You have to be more specific. What sound are you trying to cop?
        Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

Rock hardness called that one

Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

But then again, it's the internet and everyone is a hunk with a 12" cock, great job, fast car, hot gf and loads money in the bank and Mila Kunis has pointy knees.

Comment

A decent player needs whatever the style he's going for needs.

a bad player needz moar to hide sloppy playing
          Good Deals With : Facing Failure . goodhonk . benjamin801. sublimeride. River Bend. Flying Milkman. Crunchtime. MickTaylorFan. ~Abstract~

Comment

Contrary to the popular consensus on HCAF, I tend to use a **************** load of gain when playing the heaviest of metalz live, though my amp is quite usable throughout the entire range of the gain knobs and has a huge dynamic range. My main metal tone is my Deliverance 60 set to "less" mode, with both gain knobs set at 30 and a boost pedal up front.

For recording, using less gain than usual is a good idea though, especially when multi-tracking parts.
            Originally Posted by Rampage

**************** cleans, play distortion?

Originally Posted by RiffDaemon

The scratchy high-end sounds like a wreck in Excitebike

Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

I had a nightmare experience like yours, Nerine, when I was in my late 20's/early 30's and was doing the tag-team thing with my buddy over the toilet. Now that was something----

Guitars:
            Fender-Hamer-Michael Kelly-Starfield-Ibanez

Amps/Cabs
            Drive-Eminence-Electro Harmonix-Fender-Jet City-Kustom-VHT-Yamaha

FX
            ISP-Keeley-Pigtronix

Comment

It goes hand in hand with voicing. Rectifiers don't actually have THAT much gain, but the voicing makes it sound a lot heavier. Personally I need a thick voicing with enough gain to match. Somewhere in the 90's amount of gain, the whole 80's thrash thing doesn't satisfy me.

And just to let you know, most iconic amps are a 1 channel wonder . Marshall, Fender, Peavey 5150, Mesa Rectifier Solo series.
              Guitars: Godin Session CB, Larrivee D-05, Ibanez RG, Hagstrom Swede
              Amps/Cabs: Fargen Miniplex MKII, Egnater Tweaker, Fender Mustang III, Mills Afterburner 4x12

Good deals: Dimebag11, guitarslinger, ThePunisherTF, Wayne87mott, Kev324, zack, alaskaehlers, c2ply, ak37, droptrd, dboy5150, dropthisd, rbasaria, Shooto, Jon Hiller, DoubleBarrel, BabyDaddy, Edge11, bdhn, the gunslinger

"Hi, I'm Yesterday...and today I am looking for Tomorrow"- Maina

Comment

Let me start by saying that Keator is the only band you listed that uses a 5150. Kreator used 5150s for a long time, then switched to engl pretty recently and and now uses evh 5153.

All the other bands you listed are on the opposite side of the tone spectrum from the evh 5150.

Are you trying to achieve the tone that these band have? If yes, then you probably have the wrong amp. You may want to consider a Mesa mark iv/v. My opinion is this, If the amp doesn't inspire you to play then its the wrong amp.

How much is enough gain? All 5150 makes and models have a ridiculous amount of gain. I always go between 4-6 on the gain with these amps, just depends on how much saturation and compression I want.

Comment

Bout 3 cups of gain is usually good for me. Gets my clothes clean and smelling fresh.

Originally Posted by BrendanO

It's not prostitution as long as you film it.

Comment

Its about the liquid lead feel for me. I find that I use a lot of gain at first and then I taper it back overtime. Amazing how an amp will change feel once all the tubes get heated up.

At a gig turn your amp on 45 minutes to an hour before the gig if possible. Your amp will be a beast from the get go.
                    Splawn Quickrod 2012 B+ Option
                    Splawn Nitro 2012
                    Splawn Nitro 2008
                    Modded 6505+
                    Blackstar HT-5

Comment

Its about the liquid lead feel for me. I find that I use a lot of gain at first and then I taper it back overtime. Amazing how an amp will change feel once all the tubes get heated up.

At a gig turn your amp on 45 minutes to an hour before the gig if possible. Your amp will be a beast from the get go.
                      Splawn Nitro 2012
                      Splawn Nitro 2008
                      Modded 6505+
                      Blackstar HT-5

Comment

Treble 10

Mid 0

Bass 10

Gain 10

Then I hit my amp with three Metal Zones in the fx loop.
                        Some guys like a challenge. Not me.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by stompboxfreak72
                          View Post

This is a fallacy. The only thing that will affect is tube life.
                          This:
                          Gibsons w/ Dimarzios, Duncans, & Bare Knuckles
                          '95 Mesa Dual Rectifier
                          '78 Marshall JMP 2204
                          Mesa Trad 4x12
                          Marshall 1960B
                          Any pedal(s) I happen to pull off the shelf
                          Heavy strings, heavy picks, heavy hand(shakes)

Originally Posted by wrongnote85

they had their cash and their gear in a ****************in bag? whadda they take on the road, 6 dollars in quarters and a POD?

Comment

Gain knob goes down as volume knob goes up.
                            Rock 'n rolling black/death metal :
                            http://www.facebook.com/beerbleeding
                            http://www.myspace.com/beerbleeding

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Robson780
                              View Post

This is a fallacy. The only thing that will affect is tube life.

Then I will float in my sea of ignorance with my burned out tubes.
                              Splawn Nitro 2012
                              Splawn Nitro 2008
                              Modded 6505+
                              Blackstar HT-5

Comment

Working...
                              X