Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by toddkuen
    View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgZj-AEyX30

This is like 1982... Not a lot of his fans even want to admit this exists.

Just an aside...Pretty freaky. Considering the fact that I use a vocoder live this isn't completely computing for me. For instance it's obvious that Neil is vocoding the signal he sings but the keyboard player (or someone off stage is controlling the pitch)... and during the bridge at 30 perhaps someone else is vocoding in unison... yet the note holds at the end of the bridge while Neil jumps back into the chorus again. The whole performance is strange yet I'm really curious how they pulled it off live... especially since Neil is moving all over the stage and they don't have an ounce of feedback/gain issues.

Could good ole' Neil be lip syncing that performance.
    so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by New Trail
      View Post

True. As music fans get older, get married, have kids, have to take their kids to soccer, etc., they stop going to bars. The kind of music that THEY liked, music from their era, becomes less popular/accepted in bars because that demographic is no longer there to appreciate it. It's a problem that's being experienced by classic rock bands right now.

Man, this.

My girlfriend and I have been trying to find a club/bar/venue that caters to the music we grew up loving: industrial/industrial-metal/goth. Bands like Skinny Puppy, Nitzer Ebb, Ministry, Front 242, (old) Nine Inch Nails, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Fields of the Nephilim, Mission UK, etc...

We've come to the same conclusion. People that really, really like that music (and most of us still do!) are just too... old to go out and drink and dance et cetera. Most of them have jobs, kids, mortgages... and the new crowd just isn't the same. It's not the same kid of music, even if you go to a "goth" or "industrial" club... the genres have moved on, and no one plays the "old-guard" stuff anymore.

I never thought it'd happen, but I've been "aged-out".
      I thought it was going to be different;It turned out to be(,) just the same.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by turnip
        View Post

Man, this.

My girlfriend and I have been trying to find a club/bar/venue that caters to the music we grew up loving: industrial/industrial-metal/goth. Bands like Skinny Puppy, Nitzer Ebb, Ministry, Front 242, (old) Nine Inch Nails, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Fields of the Nephilim, Mission UK, etc...

We've come to the same conclusion. People that really, really like that music (and most of us still do!) are just too... old to go out and drink and dance et cetera. Most of them have jobs, kids, mortgages... and the new crowd just isn't the same. It's not the same kid of music, even if you go to a "goth" or "industrial" club... the genres have moved on, and no one plays the "old-guard" stuff anymore.

I never thought it'd happen, but I've been "aged-out".

http://neo-chicago.com/

You're welcome.
        For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

But club attendance is a different issue. I don't think those "aging out" fans being discussed stopped liking the music they used to like. They just grow out of hanging out in bars on the weekends listening to it.

Bingo..>!

Also "todays music is made by committee's" Huh?? Right now there is alot of great music coming out (especially acoustic based)AND some of it is on mainstream radio, you just have to listen. On the billboard top 40 right now I can pick 5 examples minimum.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpicker
            View Post

Bingo..>!

Also "todays music is made by committee's" Huh?? Right now there is alot of great music coming out (especially acoustic based)AND some of it is on mainstream radio, you just have to listen. On the billboard top 40 right now I can pick 5 examples minimum.

Here's one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KkUeRPjc-Y

Here's another...Damn I love this band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbW08aKDoQ4

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
              View Post

http://neo-chicago.com/

You're welcome.

We're planning a trip out there soon. I'm not from this area, so I've never been; my girlfriend used to go there back in her teens.

The only issue is that from what I've read on line is that these days Neo suffers from the same "Metropolis Records-infection" that every other industrial club we've been to (even the "famous" City Club in Detroit) does. I'm not driving 3 hours to listen to Combichrist and Faderhead.

The music is different now. It's much more trance-influenced, and isn't as hard, edgy, organic, or raw sounding. I'm not going to go into whether or not it sounds "better" or "worse" (that's an old fogey trap ) but it certainly is different, and not what the girl and I love. It is much safer sounding, and the clubs are safer, and everything is less exciting.

Comment

Well you can't just go on any old night, that's for sure. But keep an eye on their calendar, maybe FB page. The have regular nights dedicated to exactly the goth-industrial you like from the era you love, and that's what you'll hear all night.

Plenty of people who were involved in that scene here are still around, and they gather in the same few places.

I think for what you're after, you're not going to find it in smaller locales...you just have to look to larger cities where enough of those (us) old fogeys are still around.
                For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
                  View Post

Well you can't just go on any old night, that's for sure. But keep an eye on their calendar, maybe FB page. The have regular nights dedicated to exactly the goth-industrial you like from the era you love, and that's what you'll hear all night.

Plenty of people who were involved in that scene here are still around, and they gather in the same few places.

I think for what you're after, you're not going to find it in smaller locales...you just have to look to larger cities where enough of those (us) old fogeys are still around.

Will do, then.

I take it you're in that area?

The last two times we went to Chicago we planned on hitting Neo. The first time we were just completely wiped out (had been a long day) and the second time was with my younger brother and his wife, visiting up from Texas. They are both more than a little... stiff and stodgy... it would have been interesting to say the least. Needless to say, we ended up deciding against taking them to Neo.

Comment

View Post

The last two times we went to Chicago we planned on hitting Neo. The first time we were just completely wiped out (had been a long day) and the second time was with my younger brother and his wife, visiting up from Texas. They are both more than a little... stiff and stodgy... it would have been interesting to say the least. Needless to say, we ended up deciding against taking them to Neo.

Yeah, that pretty much defines "aging out" and why scenes for older types of music are virtually non-existant. When we're younger, there's ALWAYS enough energy left to go out clubbing. My wife and I often talk about going out and doing stuff, only to decide around about 8:30 or so that just staying home and watching TV sounds so much better.
                    https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
                    http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                      View Post

Yeah, that pretty much defines "aging out" and why scenes for older types of music are virtually non-existant. When we're younger, there's ALWAYS enough energy left to go out clubbing. My wife and I often talk about going out and doing stuff, only to decide around about 8:30 or so that just staying home and watching TV sounds so much better.

we go out quite a bit. We do have the deck stacked in our favor though. Kids out of the house. good location with live entertainment in abundance and no cover charges. Retired with no alarm clock to worry about. Two mile drive to the entertainment district. I think most of you will find that if you will start doing more when you are free of the drudgery of jobs, kids, bills, etc. if your health is good and you dont have substance abuse habits that keep you at home paranoid about getting busted by the police.
                      "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                        View Post

Yup. We joke about it all the time, but in reality, unless we designate an evening and the next day as a "going out" night, we have a "bedtime" of 10:30p. By the time 8p or so rolls around, we're in pj's snuggled up on the couch with the cats/dogs, some chamomile tea, and DVD episodes of the X-Files. We've gotten old.

I know that all our peers are the same way, too. It is just frustrating when we do get out, and there doesn't seem to be a place for us. It's all part of getting old, I know; it's just that you never think it'll happen to you.

Also, and this is totally not-quite-so-related, but it seems that the younger generation just isn't... angry or frustrated like we (or our older siblings/parents/etc.) were. I remember feeling a huge sense of frustration, disenfranchisement, anger, et cetera as a teen/early 20-something man. I saw it (second-hand) in the early generations, too: the punk/industrial revolution of the late 70's, the New/No Wave and Noise Rock/Pig**************** generation of the 80's and early 90's... these were dangerous, aggressive, confrontational music scenes.

I remember going to local shows with crust/grind/metal bands and it being scary. Crazy **************** went on at those gigs. The kids were lashing out at a world that didn't seem to want/care/know about them, and it came through in the music. I just don't see/feel that in much "new" music... it is almost like a swing back toward the "manufactured" and over-blown music of the mid-70's and 80's hair scenes is back. A lot of filler and show, no substance and meat.

It seems from talking to younger people that there is a sense of entitlement and complacency that my peers just didn't feel. As a first-time college professor this past semester, I saw some of this first-hand: a lot of the kids simply expect good grades, without doing anything to get them, and then are seriously confused when they don't have everything handed to them on a silver platter. But they don't get angry... they are just confused.

It's like that scene from "Zoolander":

J.P. Prewitt: "Male models don't think for themselves."

Derek Zoolander: "That's not true!"

J.P. Prewitt: "Yes it is, Derek."

Derek Zoolander: [meekly] "Okay."

That's how I feel kids are these days, and that's how the music sounds. Combichrist doesn't sound dangerous. It sounds like Paul Oakenfold with the vox and 909/808 run through a virtual fuzz box (not even a real fuzz box).

/rant

I'll just go and yell at kids on my lawn now.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
                          View Post

we go out quite a bit. We do have the deck stacked in our favor though. Kids out of the house. good location with live entertainment in abundance and no cover charges. Retired with no alarm clock to worry about. Two mile drive to the entertainment district.

That's a pretty good score you've got running there.

Comment

[QUOTE=turnip;47372451]That's a pretty good score you've got running there. [/QUOT

A Little luck and a lot of planning and good choices i guess.
                            "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
                              View Post

we go out quite a bit. We do have the deck stacked in our favor though. Kids out of the house. good location with live entertainment in abundance and no cover charges. Retired with no alarm clock to worry about. Two mile drive to the entertainment district. I think most of you will find that if you will start doing more when you are free of the drudgery of jobs, kids, bills, etc. if your health is good and you dont have substance abuse habits that keep you at home paranoid about getting busted by the police.

Yeah, I don't know if we'll get to that point anytime soon. Kid isn't even 5 yet and I'm in the process of buying a new house. We're gonna be tied down for quite a few more years, I'm afraid

But that's a choice I made early on in life. I specifically chose to do the rock band thing, not get married, not have kids, not settle down until I nearly 40 because I wanted to get all that stuff out of system when I was younger as much as possible. I knew I'd basically be trading those 20 years for another 20 years down the road, but I'm cool with that. I see some of my friends whose kids are now out of the house and think that looks nice, but then I think back on them being tied down to the job and the house when they were 25 while I was out having the time of my life and I know they missed out on much more than I will in the future.

50 is the new 40, right? As long as the health holds out, I can still do the retirement cruises and early bird specials when I'm in my 70s.

Comment

View Post

Also, and this is totally not-quite-so-related, but it seems that the younger generation just isn't... angry or frustrated like we (or our older siblings/parents/etc.) were.

I think that's right. These things go in cycle. I came of age in the late 70s/early 80s and there wasn't a lot of "youth anger" then. Even the underground punk scene seemed more like they were just going to motions rather than being TRUELY angry about anything. I think that was largely the result of kids who grew up viewing the older 60s hippie generation and thinking it was all a lot of bull****************. Generations tend to pendulum back and forth. Actually there's an interesting theory about it all being a 4-generational cycle that can be traced back hundreds of years, but that's a topic for another forum. But I definately think there's a lot of truth to people being a product of their environment and depending on how your parents act and raise you has a lot to do both with how you will emulate them and how you will rebel against them.

So yeah, this generation is a bit more relaxed than some in the past. I see some of the 'entitled' kids you talk about, but I see some really, really good ones too. But my guess is that when the 'entitled' generation starts raising their own kids, they'll see the mistakes their parents made and raise their own differently.
                                _________________________________________________
                                band websites:
                                http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
                                https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start

Comment

Working...
                                X