Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

"Aging Out" Fans...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31






    Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
    View Post

    Not sure I can agree with that one. House parties can be very productive for a single guy. Nothing says sure thing like a friend wife inviting her single girl friend or co worker to a house party.




    I can see that. I was always more of a "thrill of the chase" kinda guy though.
    _________________________________________________
    band websites:
    http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
    https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start
    https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
    http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

    Comment


    • #32
      I don't necessarily agree with the OP. I was raised on classic country, similar to your wife. But I also like some of the new country, pop, classic rock, bluegrass, folk and easy listening. I can also listen to classical music at times. I think a lot of it depends on the person and whether they let themselves listen to other types of music. Perhaps it shows how we were all created slightly different.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&amp;%)7#</div>

      Comment


      • #33
        I don't necessarily agree with the OP. I was raised on classic country, similar to your wife. But I also like some of the new country, pop, classic rock, bluegrass, folk and easy listening. I can also listen to classical music at times. I think a lot of it depends on the person and whether they let themselves listen to other types of music. Perhaps it shows how we were all created slightly different.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&amp;%)7#</div>

        Comment


        • #34






          Quote Originally Posted by guido61
          View Post

          I can see that. I was always more of a "thrill of the chase" kinda guy though.




          I was into catch and release
          <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park&quot;</div><br>

          Comment


          • #35






            Quote Originally Posted by guido61
            View Post

            I can see that. I was always more of a "thrill of the chase" kinda guy though.




            I was into catch and release
            <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park&quot;</div><br>

            Comment


            • #36






              Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
              View Post

              I was into catch and release




              Agreed - "catch and release" certainly trumps "thrill of the chase" in this case!
              The SpaceNorman

              www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
              www.souldoutrocks.com

              Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
              Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
              Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

              Comment


              • #37






                Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
                View Post

                I was into catch and release




                Agreed - "catch and release" certainly trumps "thrill of the chase" in this case!
                The SpaceNorman

                www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
                www.souldoutrocks.com

                Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
                Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
                Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

                Comment


                • #38






                  Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant3
                  View Post

                  I gotta be honest. NY has some of the toughest DUI laws in the country. Zero Tolerence. 1st Offense is a 90 day mandatory suspension (most are 6 months depending on the level)a stiff fine, mandatory classes and usually costs about $4-5K to defend.



                  In 10 years of playing on the club scene I've never heard anyone say they weren't going out because they were afraid of getting a DUI. Not once. I've heard them mentioning avoiding a club, particular highway or a location because of activity or noteable check points. No one does house parties around here. To start, most everyone lives with their parents until their 30's... most don't buy their first home until their mid-30's. And no want wants to entertain much where they rent.



                  Here in the Northeast... cover band age is pretty much 25-45. Those under 25 are still into the original scene, dance clubs, DJ's etc. They usually start hooking on to bands when they get their first 'office' job... when people meet up after work together and find live music. This is just my experience... but most of the large A-list clubs that book live entertainment here are catering to that 25-45 blue collar/semi-professional working crowd. There's a hearty nightlife between 10pm and 2am (some cities 3-4am)



                  Things are different in NY.



                  By the same token my company is based in Northern CA (Santa Rosa). In the 10 years I've flown out for annual meetings, most bars are closed by 12am and it's usually 'sleepyville' even in the suburbs after 10pm. Going out is not much of a lifestyle and people certainly like to entertain at home. So I can see the difference for bands and musicians in different markets.






                  This is true I am in Upstate NY and the scene is not bad but is different than other parts of the country.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello&quot;</div>

                  Comment


                  • #39






                    Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant3
                    View Post

                    I gotta be honest. NY has some of the toughest DUI laws in the country. Zero Tolerence. 1st Offense is a 90 day mandatory suspension (most are 6 months depending on the level)a stiff fine, mandatory classes and usually costs about $4-5K to defend.



                    In 10 years of playing on the club scene I've never heard anyone say they weren't going out because they were afraid of getting a DUI. Not once. I've heard them mentioning avoiding a club, particular highway or a location because of activity or noteable check points. No one does house parties around here. To start, most everyone lives with their parents until their 30's... most don't buy their first home until their mid-30's. And no want wants to entertain much where they rent.



                    Here in the Northeast... cover band age is pretty much 25-45. Those under 25 are still into the original scene, dance clubs, DJ's etc. They usually start hooking on to bands when they get their first 'office' job... when people meet up after work together and find live music. This is just my experience... but most of the large A-list clubs that book live entertainment here are catering to that 25-45 blue collar/semi-professional working crowd. There's a hearty nightlife between 10pm and 2am (some cities 3-4am)



                    Things are different in NY.



                    By the same token my company is based in Northern CA (Santa Rosa). In the 10 years I've flown out for annual meetings, most bars are closed by 12am and it's usually 'sleepyville' even in the suburbs after 10pm. Going out is not much of a lifestyle and people certainly like to entertain at home. So I can see the difference for bands and musicians in different markets.






                    This is true I am in Upstate NY and the scene is not bad but is different than other parts of the country.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello&quot;</div>

                    Comment


                    • #40






                      Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                      View Post

                      ..... club attendance is a different issue. I don't think those "aging out" fans being discussed stopped liking the music they used to like. They just grow out of hanging out in bars on the weekends listening to it.




                      True. As music fans get older, get married, have kids, have to take their kids to soccer, etc., they stop going to bars. The kind of music that THEY liked, music from their era, becomes less popular/accepted in bars because that demographic is no longer there to appreciate it. It's a problem that's being experienced by classic rock bands right now.









                      Quote Originally Posted by toddkuen
                      View Post

                      .....In any case I think that there is also a modern trend especially with newer artists to focus on the latest media delivery devices - YouTube, iPhone, TV's with built in internet and Hulu, etc.



                      No one wants a DUI. Pot laws are becoming more lenient in private.



                      The music as is discussed here, is mixed more for headphones and harder to play live because of the number and type of tracks.



                      Why not party at home? Especially since if you are young virtually all your favorite songs are available there.



                      As a geezer I can have fun going out to see a guy playing out with a 6-string and a simple PA. Future generations won't have this. The songs weren't written on guitars.



                      Today's songs are written by committees.




                      Do you yell at kids to get off your lawn?

                      Comment


                      • #41






                        Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly
                        View Post

                        I don't necessarily agree with the OP. I was raised on classic country, similar to your wife. But I also like some of the new country, pop, classic rock, bluegrass, folk and easy listening. I can also listen to classical music at times. I think a lot of it depends on the person and whether they let themselves listen to other types of music. Perhaps it shows how we were all created slightly different.




                        Yeah - I am much the same as you but as a kid raised on Broadway musicals.



                        I think to some degree how and where you "age out" is artist specific and depends on what the artist does over time. The deaths of Patsy Cline or Hank Williams probably made it easier for people "lock in" on their work as classic.



                        Compare them to, say Neil Young, and his early work and then his weird 1980's stuff with vocoders. I can see people walking away from his 1980s stuff.



                        Like finger prints I think everyone's musical taste is unique.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">Just-Got-Lucky<br />
                        ----------------<br />
                        My blogs: <a href="http://lwgat.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">http://lwgat.blogspot.com/</a> <br />
                        My Music: <a href="http://www.fall-to-earth.com" target="_blank">http://www.fall-to-earth.com</a></div>

                        Comment


                        • #42






                          Quote Originally Posted by toddkuen
                          View Post

                          Yeah - I am much the same as you but as a kid raised on Broadway musicals.



                          I think to some degree how and where you "age out" is artist specific and depends on what the artist does over time. The deaths of Patsy Cline or Hank Williams probably made it easier for people "lock in" on their work as classic.



                          Compare them to, say Neil Young, and his early work and then his weird 1980's stuff with vocoders. I can see people walking away from his 1980s stuff.



                          Like finger prints I think everyone's musical taste is unique.




                          Neil was around in the 80's? Not as bad as Zappa but that far out on the right wing stuff didn't go over that well.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&amp;%)7#</div>

                          Comment


                          • #43


                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgZj-AEyX30





                            This is like 1982... Not a lot of his fans even want to admit this exists.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">Just-Got-Lucky<br />
                            ----------------<br />
                            My blogs: <a href="http://lwgat.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">http://lwgat.blogspot.com/</a> <br />
                            My Music: <a href="http://www.fall-to-earth.com" target="_blank">http://www.fall-to-earth.com</a></div>

                            Comment


                            • #44






                              Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly
                              View Post

                              Neil was around in the 80's? Not as bad as Zappa but that far out on the right wing stuff didn't go over that well.




                              Neil Young made a record every year of the 1980s but 1984.

                              Comment


                              • #45






                                Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly
                                View Post

                                Neil was around in the 80's? Not as bad as Zappa but that far out on the right wing stuff didn't go over that well.




                                Neil Young made a record every year of the 1980s but 1984.

                                Comment



                                Working...
                                X