Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your past bands

just for the hell of it... cuz I am home a bit buzzed and awake at 2am

Silly or bad band names from your past!

I have played in many bands with really bad or silly names. here are some of them and what they played

Azlan- Progessive Metal (originals & covers)
    Indecent Exposure- 90s alt rock, grunge, classic rock (covers)
    Walking Messiah- grunge & metal (covers)
    The Garden Of Poets- 90s alt rock & grunge (covers)
    The Servants Of The Broken Toaster- 90s alt rock & grunge (covers)
    Wicked Platypus- 90s alt rock, metal & grunge (covers)
    The Entire Population Of Lofty- Classic Rock (covers)
    Hosewater- Modern Rock, rap rock, Mallcore (covers)

Some are bad, some are just silly. My Favorites are The Servants Of The Broken Toaster & Wicked Platypus.
    www.ostrichhat.com

just for the hell of it... cuz I am home a bit buzzed and awake at 2am

Silly or bad band names from your past!

I have played in many bands with really bad or silly names. here are some of them and what they played

Azlan- Progessive Metal (originals & covers)
    Indecent Exposure- 90s alt rock, grunge, classic rock (covers)
    Walking Messiah- grunge & metal (covers)
    The Garden Of Poets- 90s alt rock & grunge (covers)
    The Servants Of The Broken Toaster- 90s alt rock & grunge (covers)
    Wicked Platypus- 90s alt rock, metal & grunge (covers)
    The Entire Population Of Lofty- Classic Rock (covers)
    Hosewater- Modern Rock, rap rock, Mallcore (covers)

Some are bad, some are just silly. My Favorites are The Servants Of The Broken Toaster & Wicked Platypus.

Yikes...totally embarrassing:

Blue Fog - my first band - had two members who could barely play at all.
    Discovery - my second band that actually had bandmates who could play well.
    Foul Play - my first band after I moved to California...later became Suite 17 because our original name was so awful that no club owner would give us the time of day.
    The T-Tops - my first band after I moved to Alabama. We were mostly blues and soul, with a bit of pop thrown in. We had a decent following.
    Rewired - hard and southern rock, were originally called Wired - go figure.
    Sweathog - nothing but 70s classic rock
    Longshot - mostly country and southern rock
    Stolen Jesus Fish - played a lot of "early-MTV" music - Seinfeld fans will know where the name came from.
    The Usual Suspects - blues (how uncreative can you get with a band name?)
    Mr Whoopee - my now-defunct frat and club rock band. We worked like crazy and had a nice following, and were in regular rotation among three different frats and two sororities, at Auburn. I have never had more fun in my musical life than when I played in this band.
    It's also the only time I ever actually named a band. I took it from the ice cream truck in the GTA games.
    Music -

My band: http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband

Comment

Here's my list ....

All Rights Reserved - 70's funk/soul band (while in the Army in Germany '76-'80)
      Smoke - 70's funk/soul band (while in Army @ Ft. Bragg in '80)
      Spectrum - shortlived wedding act
      Walletburger - Shortlived college dorm jam band named after a cafeteria "specialty"
      It's My Party - Full time "party" band from my college days
      The Shades - weekend classic rock / pop act
      Big City - weekend classic rock / country act (The Shades reconstituted)
      Doctor Smith - short lived classic rock act
      2nd Connection - short lived private party variety act
      Groove Band - short lived wedding act
      Eastside Jam - jazz project
      Rhythm 21 - private party variety act (currently gigging)
      Superstars of Rock - party band (currently gigging)

There are a few more ... but damned if I can remember the names. It sure sucks getting old eh?
      The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
      www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
      Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
      Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

The one's I can remember:

Dreams - rock covers
        Abandon - rock covers
        SNAFU - rock covers and originals
        Felony - rock covers and originals
        Dirty Trix - rock covers
        Feedback - rock originals
        The Jack Radcliffe Group - dixieland covers
        The Flipside - jazz covers
        Arco Iris (Rainbow) - Portuguese covers
        Marc Dennis & Atlantis - Portuguese originals
        Luis Neves & Centerfold - Portuguese originals
        Mace - Portuguese covers
        Cobblestone Groove - rock/r&B covers
        The Ron Gamache Experiment - jazz/classic rock covers
        3rd Shift Jazz - Jazz originals and covers
        Bill's Fast Shoes - blues covers
        Tema Jazz - Brazillian Jazz covers
        The Return - GB (jazz, rock, reggae, polkas, etc)
        Firefly - GB
        Deja Blue - folk/blues/r&b/classic rock covers
        Seven - rock covers

Comment

Fluke (my first band and currently I'm producing our reunion album!)

Bratz (very popular local San Diego early 80's cover/orig band. I got lured by the $$$ and chicks.)

Joey Harris and The Speedsters (MCA recording act, too short lived.)

Four Eyes (almost MCA recoring act, signed singles/prod deal, I still play power pop festivals with the guys and have a great power pop album Sweet On the Vine on Zip Records. Produced by yours truly.)

Streetheart (joined for 6 weeks with the offer, "Want to go to Japan? Quit shortly after returning to states. Drummer rocked and is still a buddy. Hey Gary! Let's just say, Japan was great. The band? well... Japan was great.)

Flat Out Liars (Joined when I needed a job. B level bar band with an awesome front man, Paul Geisland rocks!!! The band still rocks, just stuck in the B circuit)

Comment

Some of the weirder names...

Ned Pecker
            The Swirling Eddies
            The Flaming Armadillos
            The Spoilers
            Ava Booga Pinky
            Dick Johnson and the Hard Units
            Hock Tooey
            http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

Some of the weirder names...

Ned Pecker
              The Swirling Eddies
              The Flaming Armadillos
              The Spoilers
              Ava Booga Pinky
              Dick Johnson and the Hard Units
              Hock Tooey

The Flaming Armadillos rings a bell. Did you guys get any press, etc. I seem to remember a rhythm & blues group by that name a long time ago...

Comment

avengers
                wax museum
                artlicle II
                the end of the beginning

Comment

I didn't have too many that were oddball or funny. I guess I was in boring bands!

Here are some of mine:

Wild Thing (we sucked)
                  Roxxwell (good band)
                  Nasty Habits (stolen from the name of the backup vocalists for Motley Crue)
                  Guilty (the first band I started)
                  Glare (limited, since I was the only singer)
                  Blue Steel (a fun group)
                  Elysian Fields (a lot of tension)
                  Public Outrage (probably the strangest band I've ever been in)
                  Thunderstruck (too many chiefs)
                  Blown Fuse (another fun band for a while, played good music)
                  The Distractions (garage band that stayed there)
                  (This is my Non-Signature.)

Comment

I was in some college bands, but then I took a hiatus until about 5 years ago, so I only have 3 band names.

Stetson (I named it, we just had 2 guitar players and a bass)
                    Common Stock (followon name to Stetson when we added a drummer and another guitarist) - funny thing was that the drummer was an orthodox Jew who would not play on Friday nights. Certainly limited our gig possibilities.
                    The Tim and Bob Show (my current band for the past 4 years).

All these bands played, for the most part, 60s and 70s covers.
                    ---
                    Steve
                    Taylor 814c
                    Taylor K14
                    JR Beck SHC-908 (ES 135 copy)
                    Roland 20x

Comment

Yellow #5
                      Jude Haze
                      BeckyNoodleSoup
                      Pik'n Lik'n
                      B&R Railroad
                      The Ward

The first 3 were my originals bands, the second of which had two other contributing writers. The third covered bluegrass, old country, 'grassic rock,' some blues, all acoustic with varying band members. B&R is my old country and Americana covers duet, and The Ward was myself, a lap steel, and a bass player--now just myself and lap steel.
                      Dive Bar Queen

"Thou shalt not be a douchebag."-anonymous

chord name
                      chord generator

Amateur

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. --Berthold Auerbach

Comment

The Flaming Armadillos rings a bell. Did you guys get any press, etc. I seem to remember a rhythm & blues group by that name a long time ago...

No, we were a local band. I came up with the name because I wanted something I was sure no one else would have.

About a year before I left that band, I heard about a band in Canada using it.

Anyhow, this is the only press we ever got, from 1991- I'm the one in the back second from left, about 18 years and 60 pounds ago... The brick wall should land us a spot in Rock and Roll Confidential's 'Hall of Douchebags!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1345&dat=19910503&id=HssSAAAAIBAJ&s jid=APoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3833,574644

I left that band to go play with the one the drummer had been in. It's when I worked with my first horn section. It was love at first rehearsal!
                        http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

DontPanic was christian pop-core. I don't know how it happened.

Bullet Tooth Tony was... something. Melodic hardcore? All I know is that we were absolutely awful.

Vegas Legacy toiled away in a garage for 2 years, laid down a bunch of terrible tracks in a bunch of living rooms, never found a singer, and when the bassist (my roommate) married my ex girlfriend, that was kindof that...

Dirty Skirty is still kicking. Hard. Just straight forward rock and roll. My first time in standard tuning since I was originally learning to play.
                          http://www.sonicbids.com/dirtyskirty
                          If you were ever in to ACDC, Crue, or Molly Hatchet definitely give us a try.

Comment

DontPanic was christian pop-core. I don't know how it happened.

Bullet Tooth Tony was... something. Melodic hardcore? All I know is that we were absolutely awful.

Vegas Legacy toiled away in a garage for 2 years, laid down a bunch of terrible tracks in a bunch of living rooms, never found a singer, and when the bassist (my roommate) married my ex girlfriend, that was kindof that...

Dirty Skirty is still kicking. Hard. Just straight forward rock and roll. My first time in standard tuning since I was originally learning to play.
                            http://www.sonicbids.com/dirtyskirty
                            If you were ever in to ACDC, Crue, or Molly Hatchet definitely give us a try.

That video of yours I watched was honest to god rock the way it should be played, the way it should be presented and performed. If you never went any further, you could be proud of what you've done so far. And I'm not one to dole out compliments (as anyone who's been around for any length of time here can tell ya!)
                            Props.

Comment

off the top of my head:

SFSU jazz band-big band jazz-still one of the hardest gigs I ever did-the reading was tough. Highlight was Mel Martin sitting in for a concert.

Candy-top 40 show band-my first road band-so much fun

Montara-instrumental fusion-still wondering whatever happened to the very talented keyboard player

The JR group-southern rock-a talented singer his sidekick guitarist from Florida-I got to be the second guitarist and we traded and harmonized leads-a lot of fun. We gigged in rock joints in the East bay area.

Frank Biner & the Soul Patrol-Soul, Blues-Frank was a great singer, songwriter, and blues guitarist-he wrote some stuff for Tower of Power I think-he passed away a number of years ago. The band was full of older vets and it was a privilage for me to be there.

Klaus Levi Band-acoustic & electric folk -Klaus was from Italy and had a record deal with an Italian label. We got to tour there after making a record in SF. Great times.

The Sprit of Trakl-rock-played all the big rock joints in SF, we had very good players but got no where.

Ceasar's Latin All stars-salsa, boleros, cumbias, etc. Scary but colorful bandleader dude who owned a huge club-highlight was playing with legendary Cuban percussionist Francisco Aguabella

Bandido-latin Rock-total off the chain party band that somehow got to do gigs opening for many biggies. By far the most outrageous band I ever played in.

Theatre Flamenco of San Francisco-flamenco-my favorite kind of guitar playing-straight up flamenco playing for beautiful women dancers.

Guitarras y Congas-rumba, latin rock-the only band I ever started -many greats from the SF latin rock scene have sat in or been part of it-never gigged more or made more and probably never will.

Theres more that I can't remember the names of.

Comment

Working...
                              X