Mounting lights/T bar to the tops of mains?

• Members

What I did was get a threaded pipe flange and then screwed it right onto the top of my FOH speakers. Then I threaded in a 2' pipe with a T at the top and then two 1' pipes on each side of the T. Works great. I can post a picture a little later today.

• Members

I did exactly this.

I took a commercially available speaker bracket you usually put on the bottom of a speaker to mount it on a pole, and put it ON TOP of my FOH top box. The flyware holes fit the bracket perfectly. Then I used a commercially available 1 3/8" poles and t bars (bought used from local music shop) for $20 for the pair.

Put 3 Par 38 LED's on the bar, prewired with DMX and Power. Put the t-bar on the pole, raise and stick pole into bracket in top of speaker, tighten thumb screw, plug in DMX and power, go.

THe problem is when your speaker is already on top of a pole this gets VERY high in the air and a bit unbalanced. I have since moved these T bars to tripod stands on either side of the stage, and use ONE LED can clamped to a pole stuck in the top of the speaker.

THat is OK and not so tippy.

The problem is when you put 25 lbs of lights and wire 12 ft in the air, even though that is not that heavy the long moment arm of the stand causes any swaying or movement to get way out of control in a hurry. One of the musicians caught a stray cord running to the light and pulled the whole speaker stack over. One light did not survive the ride to the floor. Luckily it was at teardown, not at the gig.

I think given the right speakers/subs it still would work.

If you have a set of mains were the subs are big enough your top box is sitting on the sub, you could do this no problem. If you are worried about how tippy it is, get a couple of cheap hold down straps you use in the back of a pickup truck, run a strap through the handles of the sub and over top of the top box, and crank it down a bit. That will keep the top box in place and keep the top box from falling over if even someone stumbles into it.

Make sense? Sure does save space in a small venue!

• Members

I am going to bump this for two reasons...

1. Pics

2. Would it be easier to get stands than use the mains to hang them? I don't have subs yet, and when I do, it'll be just one. Sorry, but I am totally FOH sound and lights illiterate. I can help you with other things, but not these.

Thanks!

***An issue I hadn't thought of was ease of tear down and cramming stuff in my vehicle. I wonder if another stand would work better? Or does the T bar not need to be much wider than the FOH speaker?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm also very interested in this...considering doing it for our mains as well.

We have Yamaha speakers with a wood (ish) box, so I'm thinking mounting a T on top of there should be doable.

How does the angle from the lights work? Our speaker tops are about 7' high and sit about 2' out to the side and 1-2' out in front of us. If we get the lights another 1' up, that puts them about 8' high and out to the front/side of us. Will that be a decent mounting angle for front lighting?

• Members

A friend of mine mounted his T bar on his FOH cabs and it works well for him. He routed a hole in the top of his EAWs and mounted the same type of cup you use on subs for speaker poles. He has a 12" length of pole he puts in the cup and mounts the T-bar to it. Hope he doesn't mind that I post this pic of his rig.

32472_108845749160181_100001042681985_79

I would do that to mine but I don't want to put holes in my almost new QRX212 tops.

• Members

That looks like quite a setup.

We have an 18" powered sub with extension pole and speaker on one side, and a simple tripod with the speaker on it on the other side, so we won't have quite that much of a solid base as the rig you showed.

Do you think mounting this way is still feasible, assuming we balance the T bar well and we don't hang too much weight from it? The max we'd be hanging on ours would be 2-3 LED PAR cans per side. I have a feeling the sub would do fine but I'm more concerned about the tripod side. It's a sturdy stand but I've never attempted to hang anything extra from it on top of the speaker.

Our setup isn't as tall either...so hopefully the angles on the lights would still be good enough to provide a decent front wash, which is what we'd be looking to do here.

Archived