Help me buy my first power amp.

• Members

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, my name is Tyler. Pleased to meet all of you.

Anyway, I'm buying my first power amp and I'm looking for something rackmount and up to $300. I've looked at companies like Nady and Behringer because they definately have the most power for the money, but I've heard bad things about their quality and reliability. I'm now checking out some Peaveys Crowns and Mackies. I'm not ignorant when it comes to electronics, but I'm having a hard time finding any reviews on PA equipment. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this question has been answered a hundred times, I tried using the forum search, but couldn't get it to work. Thanks.

Ty

• Members

I've got a couple of Nadys that have always behaved.

If you're willing to put a few more dollars away, then put them into Peavey or Crown. Nady amps are basically okay, but not the choice for do-or-die in high-stress situations. (Of course, it's always best to underwork your gear, no matter what it is.)

• Members

There are excellent products by Crest, QSC, Crown and Peavey out there for only a couple dollars more. There's no reason to save just a tiny amount of money considering the difference in quality and performance offered by these 4 companies IMO.

• Members

What are your power requirements? What are you running with the amp? QSC would be a good value. A used USA or RMX series should be around that range, all depends on how many watts you need. Tough workhorses. Used Crowns are harder to come by in my experience, your luck may vary.

• Members

Originally posted by gruvjack

What are your power requirements? What are you running with the amp? QSC would be a good value. A used USA or RMX series should be around that range, all depends on how many watts you need. Tough workhorses. Used Crowns are harder to come by in my experience, your luck may vary.

I don't have any power requirements at this point. I'm going to base what speakers I purchase on the amp that I'm going to have. Which is another reason my budget is kind of small. The biggest thing I'm looking for is upgradeability. I want to get a decent amp even if I can only afford to run a speaker on one channel so I can add some more down the road.

What excellent products by Crest, QSC, Crown and Peavey are you talking about agedhorse? Like I said, I'm on a budget, but I'd be interested in knowing what you're talking about specifically. Keep in mind I don't need anything amazingly powerful. The most this is ever going to need to do is a medium size gig.

• Members

One man's medium is another man's small, but I think I understand what you're thinking. If you want "upgradability" I'd look for something in the RMX2450 range (400 - 500 watts per channel @ 8 ohms). Here's why....

You can run 2 top boxes (mains) off of one side and still feed them 200-300 watts

You can run 2 top boxes off both sides in stereo for 400 - 500w per cabinet

You can run 2-3 monitors off the other side (150 - 300 watts per cabinet)

You can run subs in stereo off this amp down the road

Smaller amps will give you fewer options as you'll have less power to spread around multiple configurations. For example, unless your talking bi-amping top boxes down the road, a 200 watt per channel amp at 8 ohms isn't all that viable in a live situation for more than 1 cabinet per side. This will cost you more, but YOU said you wanted upgradability. This almost always means a higher initial investment. You can't have "weak links" if you want a robust solution that will serve your needs as they change and, hopefully, grow.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by td5_23

I don't have any power requirements at this point. I'm going to base what speakers I purchase on the amp that I'm going to have. Which is another reason my budget is kind of small. The biggest thing I'm looking for is upgradeability. I want to get a decent amp even if I can only afford to run a speaker on one channel so I can add some more down the road.

What excellent products by Crest, QSC, Crown and Peavey are you talking about agedhorse? Like I said, I'm on a budget, but I'd be interested in knowing what you're talking about specifically. Keep in mind I don't need anything amazingly powerful. The most this is ever going to need to do is a medium size gig.

That's backwards. No matter what the budget is, get your speakers first and then get an amp that powers them properly.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

That's backwards. No matter what the budget is, get your speakers first and then get an amp that powers them properly.

Why do you say that? The amp is more expensive, and more difficult to upgrade than the speakers as well as being something that will last longer. It's just as easy to find a pair of speakers that the amp will properly power as findinig an amp that will properly power a pair of speakers.

• Members

why not get a powered pair of speakers. it might take you a little longer to save up the money but you might try out something like www.musiciansbuy.com/YORKVILLE_EF500P_SPKR_CAB.html

i know it's a lot more than your looking to spend but you could rent pa untill you have enough to get a set. trust me when i say that these things are nice. the two inch hf driver gives you headroom out the arss. just a thought

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

One man's medium is another man's small, but I think I understand what you're thinking...

... You can't have "weak links" if you want a robust solution that will serve your needs as they change and, hopefully, grow.

Thanks for the advice. That was very helpful, although you are very right, my idea of medium is definately your idea of small. I know I'm not going to need that kind of power any time soon. If and when I do, I'm sure I'll be more willing to spend the money on it. So I guess right now I'm thinking small.

Alright, I'm thinking right now about going with the Crown XLS 202D and powering a Peavey PR10 with it. Any thoughts?

• Members

Why do you say that? The amp is more expensive, and more difficult to upgrade than the speakers as well as being something that will last longer. It's just as easy to find a pair of speakers that the amp will properly power as findinig an amp that will properly power a pair of speakers.

You'll get more bang for the buck putting more money into speakers than amp. Why would an amp be more difficult to upgrade than speaker?

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

You'll get more bang for the buck putting more money into speakers than amp. Why would an amp be more difficult to upgrade than speaker?

Well, I was saying it because I planned on putting more money into the amp than the speakers. But apparently my plans may not have been the most well thought out.

So what speakers do you suggest? My limit for the whole system (amp and speakers) is $500. And keep in mind I don't mind getting only one speaker to put on one channel.

• CMS Author

Well, I was saying it because I planned on putting more money into the amp than the speakers. But apparently my plans may not have been the most well thought out.

So what speakers do you suggest? My limit for the whole system (amp and speakers) is $500. And keep in mind I don't mind getting only one speaker to put on one channel.

Speakers make or break your rig. And the idea is to get a speaker that you like and match the amp to it....not that it's all that hard to do, but going amp first means you have to hop you find a speaker that you like, can afford and also matches well with the amp.

I agree that a powered speaker (just one) is the best bet for you in this budget. One good speaker is far better than two mediocre ones.

Have a look at the Yorkville NX, and the Samson db500a, both would be much better than a PR-10. The PR series are decent entry-level speakers, but the two powered units are much better. You also get at least a little bit of mixing..they have a two channel preamp so they're all you need to get started (with a stand, hopefully).

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Speakers make or break your rig. And the idea is to get a speaker that you like and match the amp to it....not that it's all that hard to do, but going amp first means you have to hop you find a speaker that you like, can afford and also matches well with the amp.

I agree that a powered speaker (just one) is the best bet for you in this budget. One good speaker is far better than two mediocre ones.

Have a look at the Yorkville NX, and the Samson db500a, both would be much better than a PR-10. The PR series are decent entry-level speakers, but the two powered units are much better. You also get at least a little bit of mixing..they have a two channel preamp so they're all you need to get started (with a stand, hopefully).

+1

• Members

Powered speakers may indeed be your best bet, at least you will get an appropriate match without havingto worry about the details.

Put as much into the speakers as you can, they are far more important [sound-wise].

Reliability can be a big issue with cheaper amps.

For higher quality amps that are only slightly more expensive, QSC RMX series, and Peavey CS series are just a couple that come to mind.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Reliability can be a big issue with cheaper amps, QSC RMX series, and Peavey CS series are just a couple that come to mind.

If I didn't know better I'd assume you were holding those up as examples of amplifiers with reliability issues from that sentence :)

Steve.

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Ice

If I didn't know better I'd assume you were holding those up as examples of amplifiers with reliability issues from that sentence
:)

Steve.

Definately a poor choice for sentence structure... see edited post:eek:

• Members

One powered PR15 would fit the bill. 499$ retail. 200 watts and 5 year warranty (if you register your product). You can't get much better for this kind of budget. Wharfedale EVP-X15P would also be a good choice (400 watts powered I believe) if available in your area - should be around 550-600$. When you get the funds, buy another one so you'll have a pair. That way, you`ll have a backup powered speaker if ever one should fail during a performance. Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

Archived