Carvin PA questions

• Members

How good would this setup be:

2 LM15 speakers

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=LM15&CID=LM

XP650 mixer

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=XP650&CID=MXP

With shipping, it would end up being $1030. Is there a better system for the money (or less ;))? I don't need a ton of channels or a huge system; this will mainly be for amplifying vocals, keyboard, and acoustic guitar for small audiences and home use, but I would like it to sound decent. Switching to 12" speakers would save around $60, so I figured I might as well get the larger ones.

• Members

NO!NO!NO!

Not a good fit at all, IMO, and I'm a Carvin user.

That XP650 is rated at 250 watts/channel at 2 ohms. The loudspeakers are 8 ohm units. That's what, around 75 watts at 8 ohms???

There are lots of units available at that price that will give you much more actual power.

I'm sure others will check in as well.

Carvin is a bit squirrely in their specs anyway. For instance, my old CX630 is rated at 200 watts RMS into 4 ohms. However, it is NOT recommended to run into 4 ohms, rather 8 ohms, or "crackling" may occur. HUH???

If that's the case a person can never use the rated load with the amp or problems may crop up. Now, I've never had that problem happen though I will daisychain another pair of 8 ohm loudspeakers if I need more coverage, but still....

Seriously look into a powered loudspeaker system. Many of them have what is, essentially, a 3 channel mixer built in and in any case you can pick up an inexpensive mixer to feed the vocal, keys and guitar from and into the powered speakers.

If you want to stay with Carvin you'd be better off with this system, only thirty bucks more and a better deal, IMHO.

• Members

With shipping, it would end up being $1030. Is there a better system for the money (or less
;)
)? I don't need a ton of channels or a huge system; this will mainly be for amplifying vocals, keyboard, and acoustic guitar for small audiences and home use, but I would like it to sound decent. Switching to 12" speakers would save around $60, so I figured I might as well get the larger ones.

HOw many channels?

• Members

4 channels, 6 at the most. Acoustic guitar, 2 vocals, and keyboard would be what it is normally used for. The ability to use several different acoustics without plugging and unplugging would be the other 2 channels. How important is the mixer? I mean, would it be pointless to buy ~$400 each powered speakers with a $200 mixer? Should I not go with Carvin stuff? I have several guitars from them and a Legacy, all of which are top notch.

• Members

4 channels, 6 at the most. Acoustic guitar, 2 vocals, and keyboard would be what it is normally used for. The ability to use several different acoustics without plugging and unplugging would be the other 2 channels. How important is the mixer? I mean, would it be pointless to buy ~$400 each powered speakers with a $200 mixer? Should I not go with Carvin stuff? I have several guitars from them and a Legacy, all of which are top notch.

If you think you need six channels you really need eight. You never know...

The mixer is, of course, important. Bad pre-amps, bad sound.

It is not pointless to buy $400.00 powered speakers with a $200.00 mixer if you do your due diligence and purchase decent pieces, new or used.

Nothing wrong with Carvin for some uses, see my recommendation.

[edit]I use a six channel powered mixer for my solo gigs. I have, nearly always, one for vocals, one for my main acoustic pickup, one for a mic on acoustic, if used and one for the backup guitar's pickup. That leaves 2 open in case there happens to be a channel failure or the venue wants to have an announcer for what ever reason, or a "guest" singer. :freakout smiley:[/edit]

• Members

Unless you want the new LM15 speakers for some reason (i.e. light weight), you might want to consider buying 2 PM15 speakers which are very nice and the Carvin XP880 mixer.

The PM15 are close out on eBay (16 left last I checked) and can be had for $210 each (delivered). That's $420 total.

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-PM15-Molded-2-way-15-Loudspeaker_W0QQitemZ160062383115QQihZ006QQcategoryZ47094QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

And the XP880 is available for $500 + $23 ship = $523

Link:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=XP880&CID=MXP

Actually, I would call Carvin and tell them you want the Xp880 and 2 PM15s and see if they can put together a package for around $950 delivered and throw in some speaker cables and maybe a couple of mics (i.e like the Pro 2 or Pro 3 kit.

• Members

Perhaps I don't understand why the OP needs two speakers. Maybe a good powered speaker for now and get another after saving up a little money. I'm thinking of a Yorkville NX55p. For $700 you would have a simple easy all in one solution that really sounds good.

• Members

No big reason for the Carvin interest... I have some Carvin gear and find it to be great quality for the price, so I was thinking their PA equipment would be the same. Also, I guess I don't really need two speakers. I've just never seen anyone using a single speaker for a PA. Nothing I have would be in stereo, so it's not necessary.

• Members

I agree with tlbonehead,

I'd look around at Peavey, Mackie, Yamaha etc. as well.

After doing a detailed comparison, I'd buy the best value, which is why all my gear these days is Carvin.

I also own several Carvin guitars. They are an excellent value. The fret work is the best I've seen.

I also own a complete PA system made by Carvin. I am very happy with it. Like their guitars, their PA offerings are a very good value.

As I stated above, I would not go too light on the mixer in terms of power. A friend of mine bought the Carvin XP880 mixer along with 2 PM15s and it is a very nice package. Clarity is excellent, but is is not going to produce loud rock'n roll volumes.

• Members

Unfortunately my Carvin experiences haven't been so good. My power conditioner has something loose banging around inside, DI box fell apart, knobs popped off a mixer I had.

For your budget I'd look at the Peavey XR8600. About as powerful a box mixer as you'll find. Enough oomph to handle mains and monitor duty for gigs in small venues.

Speaker wise, down at that price point, voice coil size often is an indication of the hardiness of the woofer. The PR series has a 2" voice coil, the Carvin a 3".

I don't get the weight though. The large VC would usually mean a heavier speaker. Both use neo magnets, but the Carvin cabinet weighs only 31 lbs, the Peavey 42 lbs. This tells me the Peavey's enclosure is likely thicker. It could also be that the woofer frame is stamped on the Carvin and cast on the Peavey, but I don't know.

I've heard the Peavey and wasn't all that impressed, but it was getting the snot driven out of it with a clipping amp, woefull eq, and a lousy band, so that's not really a fair evaluation. Never heard the Carvin.

• Members

The Yorkville thing has me intrigued; is a single 12" speaker really enough? I'd still have to buy a mixer, I need 3 channels at the very least, preferably 4-6. If I go the Yorkville route, I'd be around the same price after buying a mixer and one speaker as I would getting two speakers and a mixer from someone like Peavey, Carvin, or Yamaha. Is it going to sound that much better? I could always buy a second speaker down the line if the Yorkville is worth it.

• Members

The Yorkville thing has me intrigued; is a single 12" speaker really enough? I'd still have to buy a mixer, I need 3 channels at the very least, preferably 4-6. If I go the Yorkville route, I'd be around the same price after buying a mixer and one speaker as I would getting two speakers and a mixer from someone like Peavey, Carvin, or Yamaha. Is it going to sound
that
much better? I could always buy a second speaker down the line if the Yorkville is worth it.

I haven't personally heard the NX55p's, but from what I hear they are very good. For small audiences (at not rock concert volumes) and home use, i think this would serve your purposed very well. I also like how you can expand it easily later.

• Members

What about 2 Powered Peavey PR-12Ps for speakers and a Mackie 1202-VLZ3 Mixer (or similar)? This package with some standard speaker stands would run you around $1100, and I'm sure you could get your salesman to throw in cables free of charge. Anyway, the Peavey speakers are biamped, so they will sound better than standard passive speakers and an amp. Seems like a good system to me.

Good Luck! :thu:

Archived