EQ Pedal Settings

• Members

I just got an EQ pedal to run my guitar through and have absolutely no experience using one before. After some forum help I got the master EQ on my PA set to my microphone, resulting in a muddy sound from my guitar. It was suggested that I get an EQ pedal to clear up the guitar. Just plugging in the EQ with settings at 0 was a big improvement. Are there any rule of thumb settings to get a clear balanced treble and bass sound. Thanks.

Jack

• Members

After some forum help I got the master EQ on my PA set to my microphone

dont do that

resulting in a muddy sound from my guitar

that is why you dont do that

It was suggested that I get an EQ pedal to clear up the guitar

i dont think that happened here

Just plugging in the EQ with settings at 0 was a big improvement

well thats a big problem because it doesnt work that way; at all, no how.

Are there any rule of thumb settings to get a clear balanced treble and bass sound

turn the knobs to get the sound you want, use your thumbs

• Members

I just got an EQ pedal to run my guitar through and have absolutely no experience using one before. After some forum help I got the master EQ on my PA set to my microphone, resulting in a muddy sound from my guitar. It was suggested that I get an EQ pedal to clear up the guitar. Just plugging in the EQ with settings at 0 was a big improvement. Are there any rule of thumb settings to get a clear balanced treble and bass sound. Thanks.

Jack

you should ask this guy. He nose EQ's!

• Members

well thats a big problem because it doesnt work that way; at all, no how.

Plugging in an EQ pedal in the loop of my amp changes the sound IMMENSLEY even if all the settings are in the 0 position.

It's a MASSIVE change. Not necessarily a good one....but it's a huge difference in sound without even moving a slider up or down.

• Members

Plugging in an EQ pedal in the loop of my amp changes the sound IMMENSLEY even if all the settings are in the 0 position.

It's a MASSIVE change. Not necessarily a good one....but it's a huge difference in sound without even moving a slider up or down.

i dont think you are wrong, but i think SOMETHING is wrong if this happens. either its not an accurate eq, the load has changed, or something else has happened.

• Members

What kind of EQ pedal are you guys talking about? I want to know so I can avoid it:)

I'm assuming the OP is talking about an acoustic guitar but I'm not sure. How about a little more info, like make and model of: board, PA EQ, guitar, guitar EQ. speakers, power etc.

There shouldn't be a big change just by plugging in an EQ pedal - sounds strange.

• Members

i dont think you are wrong, but i think SOMETHING is wrong if this happens. either its not an accurate eq, the load has changed, or something else has happened.

Sorry - the pedal has to be ENGAGED for the change to happen. (ie step on it).

I used a few diff ones

Behringer (shudder) cheapo $20 one

Boss GE7 (is that the model of their pedal?)

And a random other one that was VERY old and worn.

Change doesnt happen when the pedal is out front of the amp - just in the loop.

• Members

You most likely have a huge impedance mismatch or level mismatch causing this. What amp?

• Members

You most likely have a huge impedance mismatch or level mismatch causing this. What amp?

Mine is an Engl Fireball, my mates is an orange rockerverb (i think) and another mates is a slightly modded JCM900.

Maybe i'm exaggerating the change in sound - it's not like.....turning the treble knob right around or anything like that.

But it's definately a noticeable change in the sound.

I think running anything in the loop of an amp changes the sound a little....maybe its just me.

Anyways - this wasnt meant to start anything - i wasn't arguing with anything that was written - just sorta posting a "random observation" i guess! haha

Archived