Bass setup in different club layouts

• Members

Hi guys,

I am doing a gig next week in a long, thin room with 9' ceilings. The band is at the end of the rectangle.

The owner cautioned me that the room is very bass prone and gets out of hand easily. He suggested that I point my mains out to the sides (I am guessing he is actually referring to harsh mains vs boomy bass and doesn't know the difference).

It did get me to thinking though.

What is the best way of setting up speakers (2 subs, 2 tops with the possibility of 4 subs if needed) for the following:

I have studied some of the SPL maps for center clustered vs sub on each side layout, but not with different room layouts!

• Members

Try things out first. Could be that some systems come in that room with way too much low end response (ie. 10dB od sub passband gain over the rest of the system) CAUSING the problem rather than it being just the room's problem. This is the most likely cause BTW.

• Members

Tune out the room mode(s) with your main GEQ - that's what it's for :) . And yah, as AH suggested pull the subs down to flat with the tops and adjust from there. That's one reason I like the crossover at FOH :) . Those cube shaped function rooms at American Legions etc can be so bad that you have to pull the subs entirely :freak: .

• Members

Those cube shaped function rooms at American Legions etc can be so bad that you have to pull the subs entirely
:freak:

I'm going to forget that you said that! :badump:

I've found if I think I can hear the subs playing in some rooms they are already too loud.

Dookietwo

Archived