X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying speakers in a tent

I have an event coming up where I'll have to fly speakers in a large tent.  I've just built dual rigging point clamps for the job.

TPC RIGGING POINTS 001.jpg   TPC RIGGING POINTS 003.jpg

Attached Files
    Thanks,
    Bill Cronheim
    Enterainment Systems Corporation
    Back stage since 1973

Those look awesome  but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point out that they aren't "certified" .

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

• BillESC
      BillESC commented
      Editing a comment

Not to worry, I'm taking them to an engineer.

That's nice work, Bill, using readily available components. I recognize strut and of course forged rings, but are those 4" exhaust clamps?

Comment

• BillESC
      BillESC commented
      Editing a comment

I'll be hanging KV2's EX-10's which are 48.4 pounds.  The U bolts are extended length 1/2" steel which have a 2020 pound load rating each.  Single strut channel is rated at 3500 pounds per foot, I'm still looking for the load baring tables for the dual strut.

I'll be able to sleep well with my speakers in the air, but then again, I've been putting stuff over peoples heads since I started in community theatre in 1965.  I learned from some very smart people.

Does the assembly attache to the upright pole in center? If so, how are the eyehooks on top of each other going to work? Looks great, im just confused

Comment

• agedhorse
      agedhorse commented
      Editing a comment

If it's on a vertical column, the forged eye bolts must be derated for the 90 degree direction. It's a significant derating IIRC.

http://www.struttech.com/pipe_clamp_guide.html

Comment

Bill

May I ask, was there not a production item available for what you wanted to do or was this a more economical way of doing it? Or perhaps you simply like building your own equipment ? Not being any sort of a machinist, it looks great to me. All of the conversations concerning load limits has been enlightening.

Comment

• BillESC
      BillESC commented
      Editing a comment

Tomm Williams wrote:

Bill

May I ask, was there not a production item available for what you wanted to do or was this a more economical way of doing it? Or perhaps you simply like building your own equipment ? Not being any sort of a machinist, it looks great to me. All of the conversations concerning load limits has been enlightening.

I enjoy building and creating.  Any commercial products I found were crazy expensive and not ideal.  The pictured clamp had around $ 40 in parts.

Building this prototype and the discussion here about it has been very helpful in designing the final product.  

Working...
X