Not so sold on the Senn 835 anymore

• Members

For a few years now, I've been using Senn 835's as my standard festival mic. I wanted something brighter than a 58 but recent experiences have me re-evaluating that choice.

I did a county fair this weekend with a number of bands. One of them featured a pair of female singers with edgy-spikey voices. The 835's were a terrible choice in that case and I regreted using them.

Going back to 58's for these situations. I find it much easier to add some top end to a dull mic than getting the ice pick sound out of a bright mic. They work well for some things but not in this application. My 2 cents anyway.

• Members

So, OP, you were surprised that a given mic in a particular circumstance was not the best tool for the job? smile.png

Personally, my mic kit usually has 835s and 58s in it just in case one or the other is not quite the tool for the job. If you want some real fun, try a Beta 58a on a female 'edgy' or nasally voice and it will part your dang hair.

• Members
So' date=' OP, you were surprised that a given mic in a particular circumstance was not the best tool for the job? [img']http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/core/images/smilies/smile.png[/img]

Personally, my mic kit usually has 835s and 58s in it just in case one or the other is not quite the tool for the job. If you want some real fun, try a Beta 58a on a female 'edgy' or nasally voice and it will part your dang hair.

Nowhere did I state I was surprised by the results nor is it news to me that one mic does not fit all. In a festival setting, you don't have the option of matching mics to voices. Performers are changing too quick so you go with something that works. My post was a testament that I no longer believe the 835 makes for a good festival mic. I already knew it didn't match every voice.

• Members

At least you aren't really compromising on reliability, both mics are built like absolute tanks! But I believe that you have made the right choice here Tomm, 58s definitely seem to be the better option IMO. Does that mean you are going to have to go and buy a couple or do you have some in your inventory?

• Members

Sometimes highlighting something ugly is awful nasty, but removing it to minimize the nasty makes it sound just as bad. There are times where you just can't win.

Had a show years back where this woman patron was ripping me a new one because she couldn't understand the vocals, she was accusing me of not knowing how to mix and that I was a total hack. This was a university performing arts center gig, where many of the patrons are educated beyond their own intelligence and assume that us techs were illiterate, uneducated morons (of course bot of us on the audio crew had advanced degrees, me in engineering and my partner in law). I am puzzled as hell about her ranting, the head usher saw what was happening and quickly came over to help. Turns out she couldn't understand because the music was Brazilian and the songs were in Portuguese. She thought my mixer was supposed to translate from Portaguese to English for her. Good grief, you can't fix plain old dumb.

• Members

There are some singers that have an annoying nasal bite by the nature of their vocal. In a festival situation you cant

audition mics on vocals for sure :) If the 58 is an all around winner for your application then there you have it.

Those CADs looked interesting and the price is probably more then right for a Chinese bargain.

I will check one out.

• CMS Author
I am puzzled as hell about her ranting' date=' the head usher saw what was happening and quickly came over to help. Turns out she couldn't understand because the music was Brazilian and the songs were in Portuguese. She thought my mixer was supposed to translate from Portaguese to English for her. Good grief, you can't fix plain old dumb.[/quote']

Oh come on, Andy. Everyone knows the "Translate from Portuguese" switch is right next to the "Suck" knob.

• Members
There are some singers that have an annoying nasal bite by the nature of their vocal. In a festival situation you cant

audition mics on vocals for sure :) If the 58 is an all around winner for your application then there you have it.

Those CADs looked interesting and the price is probably more then right for a Chinese bargain.

I will check one out.

They were originally an American design, manufactured in the USA, then migrated to China and finally the company sold to the Chinese. I had some "involvement" when it was an American company, hence my preference to some of the legacy mic models. (disclaimer, I don't know if the current models are made the same as they were)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I provided the sound system for a multi-band event last Saturday night. I used 835's for all vocals. Mostly older bands (classic rock, etc.). Two of the bands had girl singers; the first gal sang well and sounded good after I rolled off some highs. The second gal singer was more of a "yeller".....not alot I could do to smooth things over on that one....she actually got worse as she started to lose her voice (I wonder why?). After the third tune her range(?) was only about a 5th, the rest was "yelling".

My throat hurt listening to her.

In general I use 835's for almost all of my vocal applications. I do have sm58's for those who request them though. I have found that most experienced vocalists in my area bring their own mic.

Mike M

Archived