Keeping gear safe and stored

• Members

I recently purchased a 24ft cargo trailer to haul my equipment around in. When I'm not using the equipment I'd like to keep it stored in the trailer and in our barn. The trailer does have a roof vent I would leave open. Right now what I'd be storing in there would be JBL PRX618-XLFs, JBL PRX715s, Peavey 1012s, Chauvet lighting, amps, mixers, pretty much the whole set up. I live in Texas and right now the temperatures are slowly starting to rise. Would my equipment be safe being stored like that? I don't want any damage to occur to them.

Thanks!

• Members
I would worry more about critters making nests inside of your gear. wink.png

Hence: Cats, and why we feed them and keep them around. My cat's name is "rodent control" (and I take a tax deduction on her room and board for the purpose that she's here)

• Members

I wouldn't worry about the temp, but I certainly would worry about the rodents (and snakes and scorpions and spiders that you guys have there).

I also have a team of cats for rodent control. Haven't seen a rodent in my shop in 5 years, they are machine like in their quest for the little critters. I have 160 acres of wheat next door to my shop, which appears now to be a rodent free zone.

• Members

Andy, thats funny. Didn't help my gear, but we have a beagle that has made our yard a mole/vole/rabbit free zone. We have holes everywhere but nothing is living in them now. Neighbors have asked to borrow her. Renting her may be my second career.

• Members

I bought a used Subaru in excellent condition last fall but was surprised when the cold weather hit a month later that the defroster didn't work worth a darn -- just worthless. I dropped it off at my normal repair shop and when picking it up that afternoon was met by the owner who took my invoice, folded it in half, and closing his eyes placed it to his forehead ala Johhny Carson's old "Carnac the Magnificent" routine and said "I see you and/or your wife put out bird feeders this time of year". Well, yea, she does, so...? He smiled and showed me a picture of the heater box which was absolutely, totally, jam-packed full of shelled sunflower husks. Subsequent inspection of the garage revealed a 50# bag of sunflower seeds with a hole chewed in the bottom of one corner. I immediately addressed the problem via mechanical rather than feline means and deposited two rather chubby expired mice in the trash the following morning.

I would have been really bummed if it were my audio gear instead!

• Members

Might have told this one, but back in the late eighties, I did a six week stint in Hawaii. We would play five or six days and have a one or two day break (depending). Stored our gear outside in a locked room. I would sometimes find big old cockroaches crawling in and around my amp - freaked me out the first time I went to plug in. Probably freaked them out when I hit a power chord!

Don't get me started on rat feeders - way too many of those in my neighbourhood. Also used to get birds in my fireplace until I had it screened off. Wasps also like to hide out in nice quiet spaces, like tool sheds, or possibly gear trailers.

I agree with the others; screen that vent off well. Make sure it will keep insects and everything from rats to raccoons out.

Archived