Adding a sub to "fill" out the sound, but size is important

charlie13

• Members

Hey guys,

Although my PR15's produce a good bit of low end it does seem to drop off significantly about 15ft away. I have been contemplating adding a sub to help with the drop off. My main conerns are size vs power as it has to fit in my car (Ford Taurus) but also have a good punch which could mean I need at least an 18" woofer...maybe not. That's why I started this thread to see what you guys are using. I know there are some speakers out such as the RCF's and the Yammy SV115 that could do the show without having to add a sub...but they are pricey and I didn't have the funds to buy beyond the PR15's at the time of purchase. Don't get me wrong, the PR15's have performed beautifully and up to my expectation. I just wanted to be able to relieve the PR15's from producing sub lows and let a subwoofer handle those frequencies. I have noticed the clip light indicators on my power amp spending a lot of time flashing with the beat of the music. I have set the dip switches in my power amp to cut frequencies at 50hz and under. Also, I have set the channel limiter engaged to protect my speakers. However, having said...I do feel like the PR15's are working harder than they need to and I would not want to replace/repair speakers if I can help it. So, those of you using a sub, what do you use?

Charlie

• Members

I'm not too familiar with those speakers, but I think it would still pay to make sure you are not "out of phase" (wrong term but everyone uses it).

If one of your cables or cabs is wired in reverse polarity, you're going to get a push/pull kind of effect and the bass won't be as strong. However as I said it could just be your boxes.

I'm familiar with the Yorkville NX200 subs. they are fifty pounds and are suitable for singles and duos, but generally not much else.

There's also the Yorkville 720P that's a bit more focused and has more power - and could work in a band situation if you ever do that.

Proel also makes a budget sub that's not all that big or heavy but I'm not familiar with their dependability or sound - just heard okay things about them.

• Members

And... how are they set up? Are they on poles? One trick that some folks use is to put a speaker directly on the floor. It dramatically increases the low end. You might consider putting one on the floor and one above it on a pole. Of course, you don't get good stereo, and the purists will laugh at you, but it's a quick and easy way to get some low end when your budget is zero.

I use a pair of EV SB122's. They use a 12 inch woofer, they're small, they're lightweight, they have built-in crossovers, and depending on the style of music you do, they might be pretty effective. But they're a little costly compared to the PR15 level of speakers. Actually, Peavey used to make a 15 inch sub in the PR15 cabinet. It was probably half the price of the EV I was talking about. I don't know if they still make them, and I don't know if they are any good. And as pointed out above, there are other options for small subs.

• Members
Actually, Peavey used to make a 15 inch sub in the PR15 cabinet. It was probably half the price of the EV I was talking about. I don't know if they still make them, and I don't know if they are any good.

PRSUB - they still make them, about $240 each. I have some. It really takes two to keep up with one PR top if you're biamping but you can carry two at a time no prob. A single pair would be fine if you're not all that loud. The PV118 is a better deal as one will keep up with a PR top and they are only $250 but you really can't carry one by yourself very far. Both the PRsub and PV118 have built-in passive crossovers so you can use them with the PR15's running full range in which case one PRSUB per PR15 is fine..

• Members

I use a pair of EV SB122's. They use a 12 inch woofer, they're small, they're lightweight, they have built-in crossovers, and depending on the style of music you do, they might be pretty effective. But they're a little costly compared to the PR15 level of speakers. Actually, Peavey used to make a 15 inch sub in the PR15 cabinet. It was probably half the price of the EV I was talking about. I don't know if they still make them, and I don't know if they are any good. And as pointed out above, there are other options for small subs.

I've heard a few DJ's talk about those EV's. Do they actually work okay - for a single I mean?

I know of a keyboard player that uses 8" speakers and wanted a small sub. Come to think of it, I use a couple of 8" speakers once in a while.

Anyway, I didn't mention the EV here or to the keyboardist because I've heard conflicting reports.

Curious about them though, 'cause I'm always on the hunt for small and light and quality sound.... but that usually equals expensive.

• Members

PRSUB - they still make them, about $240 each. I have some. It really takes two to keep up with one PR top if you're biamping but you can carry two at a time no prob. A single pair would be fine if you're not all that loud. The PV118 is a better deal as one will keep up with a PR top and they are only $250 but you really can't carry one by yourself very far. Both the PRsub and PV118 have built-in passive crossovers so you can use them with the PR15's running full range in which case one PRSUB per PR15 is fine..

Got a little excited when I saw 33 lbs, but in the download it says 42 lbs. I just sold a used powered Yorkie 50 lb sub for $240 so maybe I'll stick with the Yorkville NX200's for small stuff.

• Members
Got a little excited when I saw 33 lbs, but in the download it says 42 lbs.

Peavey's manuals are always out-of-date and otherwise mostly crap. The newer ones with the neo drivers really are 33 lbs! I love walking into a biker bar carrying two of them - nobody messes with me LOL. A Peavey IPR1600 is a good amp for them at 7 lbs :) . You can use one one channel for the two PR tops and the other for 2-4 PRsubs using the built-in active crossover. I have one mounted in a plastic Gator GR-2S case and it feels empty when you pick it up :love: .

• Members

Hey guys,

I have set the dip switches in my power amp to cut frequencies at 50hz and under. Also, I have set the channel limiter engaged to protect my speakers.

Then you are max'd out. It's fine to run them there but don't push them harder than where you are right now.

Adding a sub (and a crossover) will clean up the PR15's because they will no longer be called on to produce the lows. There's not much magic to picking subs ... bigger, more powerful ones will outperform smaller, less powerful ones. Sounds like you don't need to add much more than you already have so something small may be just fine for you.

• Members
Then you are max'd out. It's fine to run them there but don't push them harder than where you are right now.

We don't know what amp he is using - it could be an RMX850 or less in which case he could go a bit bigger. It could be a bridged RMX5050 in which case he's WAY overpowered :freak: .

• Members

I've heard a few DJ's talk about those EV's. Do they actually work okay - for a single I mean?

I know of a keyboard player that uses 8" speakers and wanted a small sub. Come to think of it, I use a couple of 8" speakers once in a while.

Anyway, I didn't mention the EV here or to the keyboardist because I've heard conflicting reports.

Curious about them though, 'cause I'm always on the hunt for small and light and quality sound.... but that usually equals expensive.

They're expensive. They're around $475 each. That is a lot of money to pay for a 12 inch subwoofer. As to what they sound like, it's hard to describe. They do not kick out low end like a good 15 inch sub would. But they give you way better low end than any 2 way speaker (with a 12 inch woofer) that I've ever heard. And you can pick one up with one hand. I think they sound very good for how small and light they are.

You're right - if you want small, good sounding, and lightweight, you can't also have "cheap." For a solo performer I think they're very very good. If you've ever heard the Bose subs... they sound better than those.

• Members

Hey guys....sorry for not posting back any sooner. Been gigging my butt off. Anyway, I run a Beh EP1500. I put both PR15's on one side of the amp so I can have a 4ohm load which equals 400 watts rms. I did 4 gigs this past week and the PR15's did just fine. One thing I did do was to start using my maximizer again just to fatten up the low end. As far as adding a sub to my setup, I'm leaning toward buying a Seismic Audio unloaded 18" cab....load it with a 600watt 4 ohm Eminennce 18" that I have....and put it on the other side of the EP1500. Now I know that the amp at 4ohms is rated less than the speaker and under-powering can be dangerous to a speaker, however, I dont plan to rattle people's plates off their tables...just want to fill out the low end a little and if I need more lows as the action picks up, it's there without having to force my PR15's to do. The only problem I see with the 18" sub is can it fit in my Taurus without tearing up my back seat. The dimensions posted say I can, but if I've miscalculated I'll be stuck with a sub I cant carry. A truck/van/SUV would solve that problem maybe, but I'm not interested in assuming a car note now.

• Members

Under-powering is not a problem until you reach the clip limits of the amp. If you're not looking at high volume, you most likely will not have a problem. With an under-power/rated amp you just can't push the sub to it's full potential. Doesn't mean it won't be loud enough for your purpose.

• Members

Underpowering is never a problem. Overpowering by driving an underpowered amp way into clip can and will damage a speaker.

It might be time to put your thick skin on, and take this over to the live sound forum. Just be forewarned, Seismic Audio is a four letter word over there, well it is practically anywhere ;)

As to your 18" speaker, if it's name brand you should find a box that specifically matches. If not maybe look for a cheap but good second hand sub that will fit your car and your needs. Buy once, cry once.

Archived