X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you change your strings?

For me, there is a fresh set on for every gig.
    Do not remove this sig line

I use Elixers and I was still changing them every 5 gigs or so. That got expensive...about $60 a month or more. Then Sven lectured me on how I should let them go a little while longer and I'm up to about 10 gigs with a set. It's still a little expensive but whatever...
    Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

I change them whenever I notice the tone loss or they start to feel beat. I don't break strings hardly never so If I had to put a time on it , probably every few months. Sometimes Strings sound their best after a short break in period. They get that sweet sound and keep it for a good while. Brand new strings sometimes sound a bit shrill.

Comment

For me it depends on the season, how often I am playing, and what strings I am using. I like D'Addario EJ16 and EJ17 for my acoustic and resonator respectfully, but sometimes use the EXP (coated) versions during the summer months when the humidity and my sweat seems to kill the EJ16/17 quickly. The EXPs last much longer but I think I just slightly prefer the not coated strings in terms of tone. Changing strings is a hassle to me, so I am thinking of going to the EXPs on both guitars all year.
        www.dreadedblues.com

Comment

Change them? What for?

Actually on some of my guitars the older strings sound better to me than brand new ones....go figure.
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

I have super potent sweat so I end up changing strings on my main acoustic (Larrivee D-03) twice a week.
            JAM Guitar Lessons. The Long Johns.

Comment

I change them about every two weeks. That's about how long it takes for the tone to go with daily playing. It's nice when the timing is such that I have new strings for a each gig. It doesn't always work out that way, but it's close given that I usually gig about twice a month (sometimes more, sometimes less).

Louis
              https://soundcloud.com/lschwart/sets/best-tracks

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/My...06839039360158

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-Materna...8782889&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Comp...+paradise+lost

Comment

I probably go 2-3 months on D'Addario phosphor bronze light before I change them. I prefer my strings broke-in. And I don't hear much difference plugged in.
                Home Page
                Myspace
                Facebook
                Fan Page
                Reverbnation
                YouTube
                Twitter
                Tunesmith Pro
                CD Baby
                Eastern PA NSAI

Comment

For an acoustic solo show that is 3 sets
                  I get two nights TOPS for a regular string,
                  for a coated string (such as an Elixer) I can get almost 5 (maybe 6).
                  SELLING
                  $40 Washburn Lyon wah
                  $50 Korg EXP2 expression pedal
                  $80 Ernie Ball VP Jr volume pedal
                  $60 Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
                  $600 Rivera TBR1 2 channel preamp stereo power amp
                  $150 Roland GP100 preamp/multi effects/ speaker emulator
                  $140 Carvin DCM 150-150 watt stereo power amp

www.jpaulmusic.com
                  www.facebook.com/jpaulmusic

Comment

I like fresh strings on acoustic (with a couple hours on them) I hate new strings on electric!!
                    tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                    www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                    -For Sale:
                    -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                    -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                    - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                    - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                    - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

I play nylon strings and they seem to last forever. I get bored with them and change them every six weeks or so. I gig three or four times a week.

Comment

Once a week gigging 5 times a week or so. Every 2 weeks in the winter.

I have the funky sweat that kills strings.

Comment

I'm bad. They stay on until I hate my guitar, and then I replace them. Usually a couple months. I use Elixer polywebs and will occasionally buy extra uncoated strings which usually go long before the coated wound strings. I got a set of DR Dragon Skin strings that came off much earlier because I hated how bright they were.
                          Free prog-related metal from Michigan.

http://www.silentlapse.com

Comment

I, like the guy that posted right before me, use them 'til I don't like the sound of them. Usually about 3 - 4 months. I use Elixirs on everything. My J200 acoustic has had a set on for about a year. I play it pretty regular. They still sound good.
                            I'm not rich and think that changing strings at $10 a set is a little wasteful when they don't need it. I defy anyone to pick up a guitar and tell me how old the strings are by the sound. I know if they're new or dead, but that place in between is hard to judge. It's a personal preference, but I think a lot of 'tone freaks' that change them daily are just looking for something else to throw money at. That's my opinion

Comment

For gigging guitars, every 2-3 gigs. Usually, that's about once a week. I sweat a lot, and my strings get dead and discolored very quickly.

For my non-gigging guitars, far less. Usually just when I get irritated that they sound bad or won't hold tuning very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X