Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! tired of buying new stands every summer!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! tired of buying new stands every summer!!

just throwing it out there, I play a lot, and have a tendency toward abject gear abuse. I've always just bought whatever mic stands and speaker stands are the cheapest. I'm at the point now where I want to buy some stands that will outlive me. they have to stand up to whatever I decide to put them through, and I play a ton of outside gigs in the summer right by the chesapeake bay and atlantic ocean, so they will be exposed to salt air and the elements. this is the 3rd year running that I'm gonna need to buy stands, so what's everybody using and why? my biggest pet peeves: speaker stands where the tention knob/device/flange/whatever wears out (mine have screwdrivers shoved in them at shows now) and mic stand booms with that little rubber bushing in there that tears up and plastic bits that break/fall off/unscrew all the time.
    my solo act: the uncle ward show. http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/wardewing

"why's he stopping here? this is bat country!"

looking for: a new home in sunny Florida.

K&M 210/9 B tripod boom mic stand. Made in Germany. Not cheap, but K&M has replacement parts available.

There was a recent thread in the Live Sound forum on the subject. Mark C.
    "Good tools are expensive. Cheap tools are damned expensive."

Comment

All of my mic-stands are by K&M. I've never had a failure. Roughly $60-$70, and they'll last.
      Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

thanks mark! I'll look for that thread
        my solo act: the uncle ward show. http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/wardewing

"why's he stopping here? this is bat country!"

looking for: a new home in sunny Florida.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Miko Man
          View Post

K&M 210/9 B tripod boom mic stand. Made in Germany. Not cheap, but K&M has replacement parts available.

There was a recent thread in the Live Sound forum on the subject. Mark C.

Hmm, I just came into this thread because my boom stand isn't heavy duty enough to hold a large diaphragm mic at any distance. However, it's (you guessed it) a K&M 210/9. I need something more robust than that.

Miko, can you point us at the Live Sound thread?
          Hi Mom!

Comment

"Recommended mic stands", started 11/23/12 by ChiroVette. I'm sorry, I haven't figured out how to attach a link from the iPhone. (Hangs head in shame.) Mark C.

Comment

The bases on mine used to strip all the time. I bought a Hercules tripod mic stand http://static.musiciansfriend.com/de...062_angle1.jpg It lasted quite a while. The grip adjuster messes up every now and then and it's heavy, but it has lasted longer than most.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Miko Man
                View Post

"Recommended mic stands", started 11/23/12 by ChiroVette. I'm sorry, I haven't figured out how to attach a link from the iPhone. (Hangs head in shame.) Mark C.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ded-Mic-Stands

Comment

I have no idea what the brand is, but I beat the **************** out of them too. I spent $70 at GC and they have a lifetime "replace at the door" policy. They're a great stand and there's absolutely no reason, with a policy like that, to buy anything else IMO.
                  Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

Another vote for K&M, although I do have one real 'antique' stand that I bought back in the early 70's that is still good, with a round cast iron base...[am I the only person who dislikes tripod stands because of the footprint? ]

The real trick with stands, especially if you use them outdoors is to make sure you clean them and lubricate the threads, or better, use a thread sealant like lok-tite. Sand and salt will definitely screw them up.
                    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by pogo97
                      View Post

Hmm, I just came into this thread because my boom stand isn't heavy duty enough to hold a large diaphragm mic at any distance. However, it's (you guessed it) a K&M 210/9. I need something more robust than that.

Miko, can you point us at the Live Sound thread?

Pogo97,

Are you referring to a boom-stand for a studio-type application? I've got one of these, and it's a great stand. Very heavy, very stable, with a good reach. It's pricey, but it really does the job.

These guys are located in Montreal btw,

http://www.economik.com/km/21430/
                      Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

Thank you, blueskygary, for inserting the link for me. (If I ever get technologically advanced enough to where I can post an avatar, a stegasaurous would probably be appropriate. ) Mark C.

Comment

Never again will I buy a crap mic stand. Every one I ever bought broke but my 20 + year old K&M's and old school Atlas's still work like champs

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note
                            View Post

Pogo97,

Are you referring to a boom-stand for a studio-type application? I've got one of these, and it's a great stand. Very heavy, very stable, with a good reach. It's pricey, but it really does the job.

These guys are located in Montreal btw,

http://www.economik.com/km/21430/

$380

$380!!!!!!

Maybe I need to build something out of 2 by 4s and big honkin' Ardox nails.
                            Hi Mom!

Comment

Pogo97, is the issue with your K&M stand that the weight of the LDC mic pulls down the boom, or is it something else (like base stability)? I wonder if adding an additional counterweight to the boom would help. I seem to recall that a two pound/one kg counterweight is separately available from Atlas (or maybe On-Stage). You might try adding a temporary improvised counterweight to see if that fixes the problem. Mark C.

Comment

Working...
                              X