Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: John Barry is silent ...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an absolutely gorgeous film visually and aurally ... And for me one of the most emphatic artistic statements in favor of heterosexual romance ... For me, the whole thing is just unreal ... I cry EVERYTIME I watch and listen to that film ... Part of the film's appeal to me though is that I'm never sure if I want to f-ck Jane Seymour -- OMG !!! -- or BE her ... or just be Robinson looking in through a peephole, smiling and falling wanking to floor ...

"RICHARD ... !!! RICHARD ... !!! REEEEEEEEEE .... CCCCHHHHHAAAAAARRRRRRRDDDD ... !!!!!!"
    NEW ALBUM RELEASE ... THE END OF TECHNOLOGY ...

http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/releases ... Introspective future/retro pop dealing with themes of authoritarianism, apocalypse and alcohol ...

Featuring "Hot Mess," "Hateful Little Rapper," "Ladio GaGa" and "Somewhere in Time."

Comment

ah was wondering if Black Hole was worth a listen. (obv doesnt seem worth watching)

OHMSS has that great "All The Time in the World" sung by Louis armstrong <3
      http://soundcloud.com/liliththekitten

Comment

I like the Black Hole theme, myself, but it drives my wife nuts. We rented it last month, just to see if it was a cheesy as we remember and, yeah, it was. I blame the stupid robots for that, and the wooden acting.
        Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

He was great. RIP.
          "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

ah was wondering if Black Hole was worth a listen. (obv doesnt seem worth watching)

OHMSS has that great "All The Time in the World" sung by Louis armstrong <3

Black Hole, King Kong, High Road To China... pretty bad movies with a pretty memorable score. I appreciate the his famous Bond scores (especially Goldfinger) but he has some very underrated scores from films that were flops. 'Somewhere In Time' is magical.

Surprisingly I'm not really a fan of "Out of Africa'. I felt like it was a retread of earlier themes.
            so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

Surprisingly I'm not really a fan of "Out of Africa'. I felt like it was a retread of earlier themes.

You know, I felt the same. While listening to some of the cues, I felt that I was hearing demo tracks for "Moonraker", "Octopussy", and "The Living Daylights".

I find myself wondering at the same time . . . one of my fave Eastwood films "The Eiger Sanction" was scored by John Williams early in his career . . . while he did OK with it, I can't help wondering what John Barry's epic, sweeping orchestrations would have done for all those mountaineering scenes. Or, for that matter, what a post-Jaws Williams would have done.
              - Mike

CP4, PC3, Traynor K4

Comment

You know, I felt the same. While listening to some of the cues, I felt that I was hearing demo tracks for "Moonraker", "Octopussy", and "The Living Daylights".

I find myself wondering at the same time . . . one of my fave Eastwood films "The Eiger Sanction" was scored by John Williams early in his career . . . while he did OK with it, I can't help wondering what John Barry's epic, sweeping orchestrations would have done for all those mountaineering scenes. Or, for that matter, what a post-Jaws Williams would have done.

Eiger Sanction is a pretty forgotten and underrated flick... and I agree, Williams score is alright, but John Barry would have killed it. I think there was a danger in using Barry to score a flick at times... the movie became indellible with his stamp because his scoring (while majestic and beautiful) usually evoked some sense of majesty. Almost in the same way Jerry Goldsmith or James Horner's score mark a picture. But imagine all of the good movies with bad film scores that could have been instantly enhanced had he contributed.

It's interesting that David Arnold is considered a protege'. I really don't like him so much. Imagine the 2005 remake of KK with John Barry's score... I think that would be in interesting mashup.
                so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

You Only Live Twice ... or so it seems..
                  play Splelunker ... I dare you.
                  http://www.nintendo8.com/game/678/spelunker/

Comment

Working...
                  X