Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Macbook Pro here - little 13". Love it.

Comment

Okay, guys. I have a vintage BLACK MacBook. I'll trade it for a new Air 13" or 11". My machine is slower, larger, and heavier. And it's BLACK

Got that, you collectors? BLACK.

I've got one of those too - my personal laptop. People often think it's a PC with an Apple logo slapped on it, not knowing that Apple did, briefly, make a black laptop.

-------------------------------
      Michael
      Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
      27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
      http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Comment

the screen on the Airs are especially stunning.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>-jason</b><br />
        <br />
        <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/donaldjasoncrunk/videos" target="_blank">youtube</a><br />
        <a href="http://donaldcrunk.bandcamp.com/album/history-switchboard" target="_blank">bandcamp</a><br />
        <a href="http://soundcloud.com/donaldcrunk" target="_blank">soundcloud</a></div>

Comment

those new aiyers are siiiiiick

its got the best form factor of any lappi if u can handle the 13" screen

same powar as my former top-a-tha-line mbp 17" from 2009. the only other difference being mafuggin benjamins !1 mine being like 3 large

can't wait for the MacBook-pro-air those are gonna be slick and apparently dropping next year.

might just get a current mbp 17" for the 4 cores, non-fixed ram and ability to remove the optical drive and add an hdd for the sys and use my ssd for samplez

Comment

I've got one of those too - my personal laptop. People often think it's a PC with an Apple logo slapped on it, not knowing that Apple did, briefly, make a black laptop.

collector's gold, I say --- be worth a fortune --- and then there's the analog power supply
            Hi Mom!

Comment

All you guys are really spending that kind of money on Apple products?? Man, I've got to somehow get in on that plentiful Apple gravy train! If only Apple's lawyers would let me spec out a comparable machine at a much lower price, then put an Apple logo on it and immediately bump up the price for that...

God, I could load the free BSD Unix on it, put on a customized version of the free Gnome 2 desktop, with a tiny icon of a half-eaten fruit! What a killing I'd make!! If only but for those Apple lawyers...

P.S. Kind of funny that it's an Apple employee maintaining Linux's primary graphical engine, because that's what Apple uses. Oh yeah, did I mention that Apple bought Linux's printer system from HP because Apple uses that too? Man I wish I could sell people stuff that's free in Linux, and for a lot of cash too.

Comment

All you guys are really spending that kind of money on Apple products?? Man, I've got to somehow get in on that plentiful Apple gravy train! If only Apple's lawyers would let me spec out a comparable machine at a much lower price, then put an Apple logo on it and immediately bump up the price for that...

I would truly love to know where I could find something that matches the 11.6" MacBook Air in size, weight, and specs for less. Hell, even the 13" MacBook Air is hard to match (find me a 13" laptop with a 1440x900 resolution screen or higher for less than $1299; oh, and it also has to weigh less than 3 lbs).

Comment

I would truly love to know where I could find something that matches the 11.6" MacBook Air in size, weight, and specs for less. Hell, even the 13" MacBook Air is hard to match (find me a 13" laptop with a 1440x900 resolution screen or higher for less than $1299; oh, and it also has to weigh less than 3 lbs).

...and be, for all intents and purposes, perpetually virus-free (at least so far... and it's been that way for 10 years...)

Comment

Does the screen on the air flip back so that the touch screen can function like a tablet, or is it fixed at a max angle?

I have been experimenting with taking hand written notes on the iPad (using a stylus and Note Taker HD) and it works pretty well once you get the hang of it. Math symbols are difficult though - feels like I am writing with a baseball bat. The nice thing is I can keep multiple little piles of notes (like a notebook) for different project meetings - no more papers from multiple meetings piled around.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Gribs<br />
                    <font size="3"><br />
                    <font size="1"><i>...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.<br />
                    </i><br />
                    G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).</font></font></div>

Comment

Does the screen on the air flip back so that the touch screen can function like a tablet, or is it fixed at a max angle?

The Air does not have a touch screen.
                      Michael

Comment

All you guys are really spending that kind of money on Apple products??

Ain't nothin compared to what peeps here spend on modular synth rigs. Look up the price of a Buchla "boat" rig sometime.

Maybe change your career to IT, investment banking CEO, lawyer, or sumpin'...

As for me, I do have a Macbook Pro but it's a refurb that I got for $1000 off. No iPad.

Comment

The Air does not have a touch screen.

The multi-touch you mentioned is on the touch pad then?

I can't stand the touch pads on the HP "Engineering Notebooks" that we are issued at work. I always use a bluetooth mouse if possible.
                          <font size="3"><br />
                          <font size="1"><i>...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.<br />
                          </i><br />

Comment

Yes.

Using a single finger moves the mouse. Use two fingers and the touchpad becomes a scroll wheel. Swiping three fingers moves between multiple desktops. Pinching on the touchpad zooms in/out like on the iPad, as does double-tapping (not clicking). Using the latest version of Safari, you can also "swipe" between recently opened web pages.

I was skeptical at first, but all of this works quite well. I *think* the touchpad on my wife's Macbook Pro will also do these things, but I have yet to install Lion and the latest Safari version on it.
                            Michael

Comment

I can't stand the touch pads on the HP "Engineering Notebooks" that we are issued at work. I always use a bluetooth mouse if possible.

The multitouch touchpad on the Airs is the one that the HPs are based on. But I've used the multitouch on an HP before, I find it horrifying. The MacBook Pro/Air touchpads are marvelously smooth.

Comment

The multitouch touchpad on the Airs is the one that the HPs are based on. But I've used the multitouch on an HP before, I find it horrifying. The MacBook Pro/Air touchpads are marvelously smooth.

My problem may also be partly due to user-errors. I will be working on something and accidentally hit the pad then move around unintentionally, open a file or something unintentionally, or other error.
                                <font size="3"><br />
                                </i><br />

Comment

Working...
                                X