Best keyboards at/under about $1000

bill5

• Members

Experiences and opinions on pros/cons appreciated. Currently I'm eyeing the Yamaha 650 and Korg Kross, possibly the Roland FA-06. I'm no pro and won't be "gigging" but do want a quality keyboard simply for my own enjoyment. I also want extensive features eg good voices and a quality recorder/sequencer with overdubbing as I've no desire to mess with a DAW and want to do some basic recording (just the keyboard probably...maybe add a mic down the road at most). PS I have written off Casios, don't care for the action on them. Have not found a store with Kawais as yet but they don't seem to offer much regarding recording abilities that I've seen.

• Members

I'm not very familiar with the range of keyboards you are looking at, although I am a big fan of Korg and have a number of their synths. But what I wanted to mention is that if you are open to considering a used keyboard, you can often find a more expensive model with top of the line features for much less than they cost new. Just a thought.

• Members

Did you try the Casio PX-5S? They make more than one action.

"Best" is really subjective. What's the best tool for fixing cars?

(Tell us about your needs)

I don't have a lot of suggestions, as I *never* record from the keyboard. Although I think both my CP4 and VR09 have this functionality.

• Members

Yeah, PX-5S really should be checked out, if you haven't.

Regarding using DAWs, I've had a keyboard workstation since I got my Ensoniq MR76 back in 1998, and the Ensoniq UI is really good, but after the first time I used a computer-based DAW in 2003 I never used a keyboard recorder again. There are great DAWs under $100 and they're free to get started. It's SO much easier to work with stuff when you can see it, and you can do a 10 times better job with the same amount of effort.

Of course, having the workstation feature is great for live backing track, but you won't be gigging. Also, there is something to be said for the simplicity getting started. That simplicity just doesn't really hold up when you do anything more than the simplest stuff: the simplicity gets in your way rather than helps you. But, to each his own.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Did you try the Casio PX-5S? They make more than one action.
Thanks, but it's the same as the Privias, which I don't care for.

"Best" is really subjective.
Obviously. :) Looking for people's experiences and impressions, not just black and white facts.

(Tell us about your needs)
? I did.

There are great DAWs under $100 and they're free to get started. It's SO much easier to work with stuff when you can see it' date=' and you can do a 10 times better job with the same amount of effort.[/quote']I hear you and concede it's easier AFTER you've learned your way around the DAW. I've just no desire to do so, and I'll only be recording the DP (at least for now), so I don't think I'll need it. (I know famous last words lol)

Anyway thx for the replies. Still looking - the Roland is out; to my surprise (shock?) I realized it doesn't have weighted keys. Shoot.

• Members
Experiences and opinions on pros/cons appreciated. Currently I'm eyeing the Yamaha 650 and Korg Kross' date=' possibly the Roland FA-06. I'm no pro and won't be "gigging" but do want a quality keyboard simply for my own enjoyment. I also want extensive features eg good voices and a quality recorder/sequencer with overdubbing as I've no desire to mess with a DAW and want to do some basic recording (just the keyboard probably...maybe add a mic down the road at most). PS I have written off Casios, don't care for the action on them. Have not found a store with Kawais as yet but they don't seem to offer much regarding recording abilities that I've seen.[/quote']

Just how LONG has it been since you've "written off Casio"?

Your answer will determine just how wrong you might possibly be............

• Members

Just how LONG has it been since you've "written off Casio"?

Your answer will determine just how wrong you might possibly be............

A few months. Not wrong. :)

Roland FA-06 or Yamaha MOXF6 . Don't go for the Kross. It's been chopped down way too much in spec to be worth it.

? Chopped down from what? And how so? Granted the 80 polyphony doesn't wow me but I doubt it will be an issue in most cases if any. Also keep in mind the Kross 61 and 88 are different in more ways than just the # of keys.

• Members
semi-weighted keypad sounds like more of a cheapo feel than I could tolerate' date=' but thx[/quote']

by semi weighted "keypad" do you mean keybed? The keyboards you mentioned have semi weighted actions. If your definition of a "quality" keyboard is a fully weighted action you need to buy the 88 version of the keyboards mentioned. If you want a better semi weighted action you should be looking at a Nord or just MIDI in a quality controller keyboard.

• Members

A few months. Not wrong. :)

? Chopped down from what? And how so? Granted the 80 polyphony doesn't wow me but I doubt it will be an issue in most cases if any. Also keep in mind the Kross 61 and 88 are different in more ways than just the # of keys.

I had a Kross 88 for a while. The keybed action is actually pretty good. The sound engine is where the chopping down has happened. It's a poor comparison to the Krome or even the old M50 and the sounds are thin and unrealistic to my ear anyway and certainly when compared to a Roland or Yamaha. It's a good budget buy but not if you have $1000 budget.

• Members

Pardon, yeah keybed.

Interesting on the Kross; most people I hear say they don't like the action but do like the sounds, ha. Personally I liked both (and I thought they carried over from the Krome but I guess not-?) but I get the impression it's rather user-unfriendly, which is a quick way to lose my interest...the search continues....

Archived