Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was very frustrated to find out that I was getting static, pops and dropouts like many of the other io26 users. Nothing really helped, untill I tried a dual boot with XP as I was using Vista which came on the system. Others had warned that the vista drivers just werent ready for distro, and I suspected they were right. Now it works fine in xp and I even tested it out with the adat light pipe connected to a ADA8000.
    You do have to set it to ADAT(using the Behringer as the clock source) however, unless you have a separate syncgen(wordclock).

Dell inspirion 530 quad with 3g 800mhz ram
    1.5 SATA TB space
    Pyro firewire pci(TI chipset)
    Alesis io|26/Behringer ADA8000

Also I noticed the only way to get windows system sounds through the Alesis, in Vista is to have sampling rate at 48khz,
    hope any of that helps.
    (dont give up Dell users)
    Oh, and just in case these laptop users didnt know already, the small 4pin laptop connectors on firewirecables will not work, you have to have a full size 6pin slot to use this device.

Comment

• Dammit! I spent an entire day upgrading to XP om my Dell XPS m1530 because I was getting drop-outs in Vista and now it has these "hick-ups" that causes the recording to stop for a moment and continue again after a short break in XP.

It works fine on my regular computer (XP), but on the laptop it still sucks, as said. So, if there's anyone out there who has any experience with this laptop and a XP upgrade I'd be happy to hear from you

Comment

• Oh, and just in case these laptop users didnt know already, the small 4pin laptop connectors on firewirecables will not work, you have to have a full size 6pin slot to use this device.

I have had an alesis io26 for around 2 years and have used the 4-pin firewire connection on my laptop, so I disagree with Haduj's statement... The only downside to 4-pin is that you have to use a power adapter.

I have a problem with my io26 that I haven't been able to find elsewhere in this forum. I have a Compaq presario v2000 and I am using a USB 2.0/firewire adapter in the cardbus pc card slot. I have a built in IEEE1394A connection which I was using before to connect the alesis, but when i got this card I plugged the alesis into it instead, to see if it improved performance at all. However, it was a very crackly, stuttery sound in the card and I attributed that to the fact that I also had an external hard drive plugged into the card running at the same time (that's just my guess). SO, I plugged it back into the built-in port and rebooted, and since then have rebooted many times, and although my system recognizes the device, there is absolutely no audio coming in through it, and my recording software (ableton) does not recognize it. I tried re-installing the drivers and firmware today but nothing changed. What happened?!

Comment

• Someone else had a problem with sound going away and it turned out Windows had turned off the audio services. But as you're not using the Windows audio, that seems unlikely...nonetheless, might be worth a try. Here's the thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2328413

Let us know if this helps.
          CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Thanks Anderton, I checked into it but that wasn't the problem. I should mention that when I unplug the alesis, the system reverts to using the built-in soundcard which plays all sounds just fine. Also, I just tried opening ableton and when I tried to select the alesis as the audio device, it basically crashed the program.

Comment

• hi thelibertytax,
              are you sure you didn't accidentally insert the firewire cable the wrong way around? did it once accidentally and it burned the firewire port on my old laptop. literally burned. i saw the circuit board and it turned black around the fw!

might i add that on a macbook core 2 duo 2 ghz i'm quite a happy Alesis user so far. Had to replace it once, but since then it's been very nice.

I also got prompt answers from alesis support Justin Baro regarding drivers etc. (jbaro *at] alesis punto com)

i'd have loved to see them open up for a linux driver via ffado. this could help the device become immortal even after it gets dropped...

thanx for the useful info on this list!
              (and thank you so much, craig for your DIY Projects for Guitarists book!)

df

Comment

• Thanks for replying. I was referring to the RCA/Coax output on the IO26. My wish is to send multichannel sound via the coax SPDIF out, into the SPDIF input on my receiver (for discrete multichannel Dolby Digital or DTS as opposed to a stereo encoded Dolby Pro Logic). But I believe that the IO26 is downmixing any multichannel encoded material (in my case DVD AC3 audio) into a stereo encoded stream - this is verified at the receiver end, because DD or DTS is never activated, but rather Dolby Pro Logic, and only the L and R inputs activate, indicating that a multichannel signal isn't coming in.

Using AC3filter and it's various SPDIF options doesn't seem to change the situation, but there are many options in the filter to choose from. Direct Passthrough would seem to be the way to go, but I haven't had any success that way either.
                The SPDIF side of things is covered in detail here:
                http://ac3filter.net/guides/ac3filter_spdif

I was hoping someone had used the SPDIF for multichannel output with some success.

I appreciate the input.

Well here is a couple things to check if you are still trying to do this. First per the article (good article btw) the Receiver must be IEC 61937 compliant for it to be able to decode compressed 5.1 signaling. Does the receiver have a 24 bit DSP? Its possible other components such as a DVD player are doing the decoding, sending a non-compressed signal and the receiver will recognize it, the dts indicator will come on. Next I haven't checked this but the Alesis IO 26 needs to have the same IEC compliant signaling as the receiver for this to work. You might check your Asio drivers control panel and see if a 24 bit signal is even being sent by the Alesis.

All this information above are ideas I would do but not necessarily the only way to go about it.

if you find out more let us know with another post.
                X->out

The light, at the end of the tunnel, depends on the direction you're heading

Comment

• hello,

i'm just one more guy that is having problems with this unit.

the io|26 simply quits ... turns completly off after about15/20min...

...and it's impossible to work with it like this, as you can imagine.

any help with this wil be VERY welcome.

thanks
                  emanuel

Do you have the ac/dc power adapter plugged into the io26? Check your computer settings and verify the cpu is set for better performance, make your screen saver set to none. if you are using a laptop make sure you have the ac power connected and that your battery is in good condition.
                  X->out

Comment

• Dammit! I spent an entire day upgrading to XP om my Dell XPS m1530 because I was getting drop-outs in Vista and now it has these "hick-ups" that causes the recording to stop for a moment and continue again after a short break in XP.

It works fine on my regular computer (XP), but on the laptop it still sucks, as said. So, if there's anyone out there who has any experience with this laptop and a XP upgrade I'd be happy to hear from you

Make sure all your devices and components have the XP drivers. Set your cpu for better performance, turn off any applications you don't need. turn off any dell applications that may be running in the background. Optimize your latency settings in the asio control panel, maybe set it more lean, less buffers, try a few different settings.
                    X->out

Comment

• Thanks Anderton, I checked into it but that wasn't the problem. I should mention that when I unplug the alesis, the system reverts to using the built-in soundcard which plays all sounds just fine. Also, I just tried opening ableton and when I tried to select the alesis as the audio device, it basically crashed the program.

You need to turn off your windows sounds, I swear I read that somewhere in an alesis document concerning checking all your system settings, there are like 28 things you should do, especially if you re-install drivers for the io 26. In any case i have the sounds off, they have always been a pain in the ass of my ear if you ask me.
                      X->out

Comment

• For those interested,

I got my Alesis io 26 working on Linux yetserday through ffado's unofficial support.

It worked wonderful with multichannel Ardour, Supercollider etc. This needs further testing of course, but looks like an exciting marrriage.

On a Macbook core 2 Duo 2 GHz ram running Ubuntu Studio 8.04
                        I followed this thread, and it worked the same for the io 26.
                        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1071904

Basically dl ffado (ffado.org) from the unstable svn trunk:

configured with ENABLE_DICE=true, and compiled.
                        then reinstalled Jackd and qjackctl. that's it.

running jack -d firewire works and opens ffado streaming from the device.
                        I then needed to tweak a bit the parameters with qjackctl to get it to run stably. it was running at a latency of 4 ms without breaking a sweat!

as there is no official support, i'm still missing a mixer application for real time monitoring etc..

would be nice to hear of more ppl running the device on linux.

official linux support from Alesis could make this device a favorite linux interface as it has so many cool options and such good sound..

c'mon Alesis - linux is so much fun!

dia

Comment

• Information alert.
                          Alesis just posted new Beta drivers for Vista 32/64!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          http://alesis.com/company/media2.php?download_id=AGwCYwdrVDpQMgVg

Ed

Comment

• I'm just curious if anyone's had the same problem as me.

I bought this guy in December 2006, which would make it probably part of the first batch. It worked great until last August. Great sounding preamps, and I didn't have any dropout/latency/etc issues. Until I turned on my system one day and... the unit did not turn on.

My friend bought the same unit as me. I never never NEVER use an interface without the PSU in fear that I will have grounding issues or not take enough power from FW400. I used my power adapter with his interface and it worked, and my interface with his power adapter and it didn't work. Logically, something in the internal power supply must have gone wrong.

I've sent it to a local shop as my warranty has expired. I'm hoping to hear back tomorrow what happened. Has anyone else had this issue or am I the one unfortunate soul?

sean

Comment

• Thought I'd relay my experience.

My system includes:

Logic 5.51 Platinum
                              Alesis IO26 Audio Interface (Firewire) - Driver Version 3.4.1.5782 @44100 Hz
                              EMagic Unitor 8 MkII Midi Interface (USB)
                              Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro Mixer
                              Korg Wavestation
                              Kawai M800 Keyboard
                              Roland JV-2080 Synthesizer
                              Kurzweil K2500RS
                              Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
                              Number Of Processors | 1 Processor Description-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
                              Total Memory 2496MB Total Hard Drive | 373GB Display | SyncMaster, 20.9" (45cm x 28cm)
                              Hard Drive ST3400620AS ATA Device
                              32 Bit Operating system
                              Radeon X1800 Crossfire Display Adapter

Alesis is working without errors using ASIO2
                              Got system stable by:
                              1. Execute MSCONFIG and reboot without startups or any services.
                              2. Rebooted once with MIDI interface truned off. Mysteriously stabilized - no more ASIO errors!

Will be more specific if desired.

Comment

• Hi there,
                                Just got my Alesis IO 26 on my new iMac. A few problems though, that I wanted to check with you guys before going back to the store.

Firstly, no possibility to change the volume from the mac (" The selected device has no outputs control"). I guess this is normal, even though it's very annoying (I was able to change it on my old E-MU 404)

Secondly, the two "PHONES" outputs work fine, but the OUTPUTS 1 to 8 only work on the left side (nothing on the right, I checked with different speakers, headphones, differents cables, etc. I'm sure there's is nothing on the right).

So those are my 3 problems... I tried to touch everything on the "Alesis Hardware Direct Monitoring", changing the volume, etc.. IAnd ikf my computer send the volume to loud to the Alesis (it's becoming red) there's no way to change it (I tried changing the Alesis' volume of the computer source, and the Alesis' main level volume, but nothing changes. The only way to take it back in the green is to lower the sound of the programms you're using, which is sh** because if you're mixing on Logic, you'll have to reduce the master volume )

How can I fix the problems? Is it because I'm stupid, or maybe a software/gear failure (I tried reinstalling the Alesis software, and have the latest versions)

Hope you guys can help me!

Cheers for that!

Comment

Working...
                                X