Alesis io26 and io14 Interfaces

Anderton

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got a question for you fellow io26 owners.

My old Delta 1010LT could reverse the phase on an input if two mics were out of phase with each other. Is there a way to do this on the io26?

I have not found a phase flip function on the io26, so I suspect there isn't one. That's not a big deal to me, though, as my host software has a phase flip switch on each channel.

• Members

Hi to you all,

I’m rather new to this forum, and I’ve been searching all the threads available on Alesis’ new io26. I’ll post my comment here, and hope you don’t mind if you find it on other forums too, as I’m trying to find as many io26 users as possible to solve my problems.
I’ve had my io26 for 2 weeks now, and I’m still trying to get it to work properly. I have an iBook G4 with 1.25 Go RAM running on Panther. I know it’s not the most recent configuration, but it more than matches recommendations found in the Reference manual (it says at least OSX 3.9 and 526 Mo RAM).
What I really liked about the io26’s specifications, amongst MANY other things, was of course the 8 mic ins, so it can actually record a full drum kit, which I haven’t done yet and you’ll see why…
So far, I’ve tried using it with Tracktion2 first, since this is one of the most musician-friendly (as opposed to engineer-friendly) DAW that I’ve come across. Sure, it’s not PT, Logic or any of the highly-rated DAWs in the market, but it does have everything you need to record music, as well as various settings for audio, midi, plug-ins, latency, etc. (what I say here might not seem relevant to this topic, but you’ll see IT IS).
After installing the drivers, which was really fast, I tried to record a simple song, thinking, let’s have something with 8 tracks only and just some plug-in eq or reverb here and there, and see how it reacts. I mean, nothing that could be a heavy burden for my computer. So I recorded the whole thing, track by track – not 8 tracks simultaneously.
The problem is, I KEPT GETTING POPS AND DROPOUTS ALL THE TIME. I was not using any other application at the same time. No wi-fi, no Bluetooth, no internet browser, no iTunes!
So I emailed Alesis’ support, who replied really quickly. Here’s what they said:
“Is there a way in Tracktion to adjust any buffer or latency settings? Also have you tried the Cubase LE program to see if this also produced pops and clicks? Also I would disable any networks, wireless, bluetooth devices, or internet connections. Also I would recommend restoring your disk permissions and resetting the PRAM.”

Ok, I know that the io26 hasn’t been tested with Tracktion (shame, though – there’s an army of Tracktion users out there), as it’s not on the list of tested DAWs on Alesis FAQs page. But do you know any DAW that hasn’t got latency settings? I mean, c’mon!
So I did everything they advised me to do, INCLUDING restoring disk permissions and resetting the PRAM. I even downloaded a free application to optimise my disk, although so many people say this is useless on a Mac (interesting issue, but not quite relevant for this thread).
Then I tried recording on Cubase LE, track by track again. I got pops while recording, (you can actually hear them exactly at the same time in the timeline) AND pops and dropouts during playback. And I did try various buffer settings.
But the thing is, I don’t want to use Cubase, I want Tracktion because it works best for me.
I will mail Alesis again and I hope I’ll get a more specific answer, as opposed to “turn off your other applications”, “it’s Tracktion’s fault”, “optimise your disk”.
Anyway, there is enough evidence that the io26 doesn’t work properly with all Power PC Macs. The only Power PC user with an io26 I’ve found so far is Roger (rogerr or rogerramjet on various forums), who doesn’t seem to have any problem with it. I actually took his posts into account before deciding to purchase the io26, as US-based users have been able to buy it first (it’s only been available over the pond for about 3 weeks). But apparently it does have issues with Intel Macs too – and Tiger, for that matter – so I don’t think it’s because of Panther or not enough RAM…
Any opinions?
:confused:

• Members
Thanks for the review Anderton, can't wait to see the rest of it. Best wishes to your mother. Just to get this straight, the io26 has 8 preamps correct? If so, that is an outstanding deal for $400, even if the preamps are mixer quality, you don't need a cheap mixer to do this job now.

Yes 8 Pre's plus ADAT!:thu:

• Members

Hi to you all,

I’m rather new to this forum, and I’ve been searching all the threads available on Alesis’ new io26. I’ll post my comment here, and hope you don’t mind if you find it on other forums too, as I’m trying to find as many io26 users as possible to solve my problems.

I’ve had my io26 for 2 weeks now, and I’m still trying to get it to work properly. I have an iBook G4 with 1.25 Go RAM running on Panther. I know it’s not the most recent configuration, but it more than matches recommendations found in the Reference manual (it says at least OSX 3.9 and 526 Mo RAM).

What I really liked about the io26’s specifications, amongst MANY other things, was of course the 8 mic ins, so it can actually record a full drum kit, which I haven’t done yet and you’ll see why…

So far, I’ve tried using it with Tracktion2 first, since this is one of the most musician-friendly (as opposed to engineer-friendly) DAW that I’ve come across. Sure, it’s not PT, Logic or any of the highly-rated DAWs in the market, but it does have everything you need to record music, as well as various settings for audio, midi, plug-ins, latency, etc. (what I say here might not seem relevant to this topic, but you’ll see IT IS).

After installing the drivers, which was really fast, I tried to record a simple song, thinking, let’s have something with 8 tracks only and just some plug-in eq or reverb here and there, and see how it reacts. I mean, nothing that could be a heavy burden for my computer. So I recorded the whole thing, track by track – not 8 tracks simultaneously.

The problem is, I KEPT GETTING POPS AND DROPOUTS ALL THE TIME. I was not using any other application at the same time. No wi-fi, no Bluetooth, no internet browser, no iTunes!

So I emailed Alesis’ support, who replied really quickly. Here’s what they said:

“Is there a way in Tracktion to adjust any buffer or latency settings? Also have you tried the Cubase LE program to see if this also produced pops and clicks? Also I would disable any networks, wireless, bluetooth devices, or internet connections. Also I would recommend restoring your disk permissions and resetting the PRAM.”

Ok, I know that the io26 hasn’t been tested with Tracktion (shame, though – there’s an army of Tracktion users out there), as it’s not on the list of tested DAWs on Alesis FAQs page. But do you know any DAW that hasn’t got latency settings? I mean, c’mon!

So I did everything they advised me to do, INCLUDING restoring disk permissions and resetting the PRAM. I even downloaded a free application to optimise my disk, although so many people say this is useless on a Mac (interesting issue, but not quite relevant for this thread).

Then I tried recording on Cubase LE, track by track again. I got pops while recording, (you can actually hear them exactly at the same time in the timeline) AND pops and dropouts during playback. And I did try various buffer settings.

But the thing is, I don’t want to use Cubase, I want Tracktion because it works best for me.

I will mail Alesis again and I hope I’ll get a more specific answer, as opposed to “turn off your other applications”, “it’s Tracktion’s fault”, “optimise your disk”.

Anyway, there is enough evidence that the io26 doesn’t work properly with all Power PC Macs. The only Power PC user with an io26 I’ve found so far is Roger (rogerr or rogerramjet on various forums), who doesn’t seem to have any problem with it. I actually took his posts into account before deciding to purchase the io26, as US-based users have been able to buy it first (it’s only been available over the pond for about 3 weeks). But apparently it does have issues with Intel Macs too – and Tiger, for that matter – so I don’t think it’s because of Panther or not enough RAM…

Any opinions?

:confused:

Mac Specs from the Alesis Website::

Mac:

• Power Mac G4 Dual 867MHz or faster, all Intel Mac models

• 1 Gig RAM or more

• Mac OSX 10.4 or higher

I would suggest that you start a new thread http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50 Craig's Forum or the Recording Forum http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57 , I purchased mine 3 days ago I have not be able to tested it fully yet.

Start a new thread if you don't mind........And we'll go from there...\

I'm using a PC.

Thanks

• Members

On the contrary, Vincent...this does belong here. Either his scenario is common, in which case Alesis needs to know about it, or it is not, in which case he needs to figure out what his problem is. However, it seems at first glance his system doesn't meet the minimum specs with respect to the processor.

Pops and dropouts can be due to so many different reasons...I've had outdated graphic card drivers cause that type of problem. IF we can chase down the problem, I'm sure Alesis would be grateful as they could then handle any other people who had the same problem.

And as an aside, in terms of doing Pro Reviews on several interfaces, Firewire Mac interfaces seem more problematic than Windows computers IF the Windows computers have the right card. I've certainly experienced some weird issues with interfaces and my dual G5; check out the PreSonus Inspire thread for details, and how I solved it.

• Members

Well yes... that's what it says on the io26 page. However, in the Reference manual that comes with the interface (and is also downloadable on the support page), it says:

"Minimum Macintosh Requirements:

• Any Apple computer with native Firewire support

• Mac OS X “Panther” version 10.3 or later

• 256 MB RAM (512 MB or more recommended)"

I was well aware of these discrepancies, so I e-mailed Alesis in November and here's what they replied:

"The details on the website have not been updated to reflex what is in the manual since this was a pre-release product page. The IO/14-26 is still in development though the suggested minimum requirements in the manual would [be] the one’s to follow for compatibility." (sorry for the spelling, it's cut and paste...)

Therefore, "the manual"... has it right. Or not?

I will follow your advice and start a new thread. Tomorrow, though, as it's 2 am here and I'm going to bed.

• Members
the one’s to follow for compatibility." (sorry for the spelling, it's cut and paste...)

Therefore, "the manual"... has it right. Or not?

I will follow your advice and start a new thread. Tomorrow, though, as it's 2 am here and I'm going to bed.

I hope that some how you can make it work...see ya tomorrow :thu:

• Members

Really? Is that something Cubase SX has?

Actually, I'm on the road with my laptop, which has a minimal complement of programs installed...Sonar has a phase switch on each channel. I checked a few programs on the net, but couldn't get a detailed enough screen shot to determine if the program did or did not have a phase switch. But I don't think Cubase LE has one.

• Members

And unfortunately, the review will get pushed out further because I've been caught in that #$&^* snowstorm that hit the east coast...I'm sitting in a hotel in Newark, New Jersey, and Delta can't get me out until Monday morning. I heard 1000 flights were canceled today, and the airport itself was closed briefly.

• Members
Actually, I'm on the road with my laptop, which has a minimal complement of programs installed...Sonar has a phase switch on each channel. I checked a few programs on the net, but couldn't get a detailed enough screen shot to determine if the program did or did not have a phase switch. But I don't think Cubase LE has one.

Hi Craig!:wave: How's your Mom?

• Members
And unfortunately, the review will get pushed out further because I've been caught in that #$&^* snowstorm that hit the east coast...I'm sitting in a hotel in Newark, New Jersey, and Delta can't get me out until Monday morning. I heard 1000 flights were canceled today, and the airport itself was closed briefly.

Well, enjoy your stay as much as you can....We'll be waiting :thu:

• Members

One other thing I should mention is that driver updates are fairly common. Comments about what does and does not work with particular configurations are often very helpful to companies, as long as the descriptions are fairly detailed.

• Members

Check out the features of this new FocusRite Saffire 8 channel preamp/recording interface using firewire. It seems to have the exact same features as the io26. I'm willing to bet they are the same product. Although the FocusRite is $100 more than the io26, it may be a nice alternative for those that have racks, or want their inputs in back.

• Members

Hey everyone, I have the io 26 for about 2 months now and has been working great. I have used it to record a full drum set and DI a bass at the same time. Im running it on a new intel mac power book.

As far as the issue with itunes, I feel that every time I open a new program the computers processors use the ram to open that program which may account for the pop in the audio. This happens with Photoshop and itunes on my compy.

One question though has anyone added more input via adat? Any suggestions for me?

• Members

Are you going to test the unit with Sonar 6. I couldn't get it to work. The firewire light would go off and on. My Firewire Hard drive works fine.
I got an RA number at it is back at Alesis.
I hope it is not like others that say the Drivers are bad. The unit looks and feels solid. When it did boot up, the unit would either start spitting static out and the time line would go about five times the normal speed or it would freeze Sonar 6 up completely. My Edirol UA-25 doesn't have these problems and I hope mine will be fixed. Anybody else have my problem?

Ed

• Members

On the contrary, Vincent...this does belong here. Either his scenario is common, in which case Alesis needs to know about it, or it is not, in which case he needs to figure out what his problem is. However, it seems at first glance his system doesn't meet the minimum specs with respect to the processor.

Pops and dropouts can be due to so many different reasons...I've had outdated graphic card drivers cause that type of problem. IF we can chase down the problem, I'm sure Alesis would be grateful as they could then handle any other people who had the same problem.

And as an aside, in terms of doing Pro Reviews on several interfaces, Firewire Mac interfaces seem more problematic than Windows computers IF the Windows computers have the right card. I've certainly experienced some weird issues with interfaces and my dual G5; check out the PreSonus Inspire thread for details, and how I solved it.

Thanks Craig!:thu:

I was under the impression that the Pro review Thread was only for the reviews.

But your are right.

I encountered some problems with my Desktop, when I play iTUNES and open Firefox, I wanted to try it since other users were having problems, and sure enough I have the same problems......I installed it on desktop with 1 gig of ram,and an Asus MoBo...

I must say that I also have @ church the Alesis MultiMix Firewire16, and it works great with my desktop, Zero Problems.

I recorded 3 guitars, lead guitar and bass, with no problems.

But with the io26, even SoundForge, stops and goes, I have more stuff going on in my desktop, so will see, so do you tihink is the drievers.....[???]

I had the EMU 1820M and it also worked great with my desktop, the reason I sold it was because of the 2 mic pre's. I needed 8.

At the moment I'm on a laptop:

Gateway MP8708, IntelCoreDuo,2 Gigs Ram,With WinXp Media Center.

I'm playing iTunes @ the same time I', writing this post, and surfing, so far Zero Problems......

Installation of the iO/26 on this laptop was a snap!

• Members

I just recorded 4 tracks with the laptop and the io/26 with no problems.

On my desktop I'm using the built in firewire socket [??] the Asus mother board has an intel VIA chipset. I know the a TI chipset is recommended [????] so I'm ordering a PCI Firewire Card with the TI chipset to see if that will make a difference....

I will do everything to keep this Interface, and since it works on the Church's laptop, I got hope :D..I intend to buy a laptop to make this a mobile recording rig.

;)

Archived