Low wattage EL34 amp

blindopher

• Members

Hi,

I'm considering my next amp build and I wanted to know is there any way to enjoy a Marshallesque EL34 driven tone at 15W? I'm limited budget-wise to using my 1X12 cab loaded with a 30W driver. As I understand, my amp should in this case not exceed 15W RMS. I know one way to employ an EL34 topology would be a single ended amp, but I don't think SE would get me close to a Marshall tone. I think part of the Marshall mojo is the cathode follower into tone stack into phase inverter. So, is there anyway to employ two EL34s in this scheme and stay close to 15W? If not, how would I go about making two EL84s sound as close to a Marshall as possible? I don't really play clean and i'm looking for that Zeppelin classic rock plexi tones. (I play a Les Paul).

thanx

• Members

Researching what Page used may reveal some options.

What he used live and may have used recording may be very different in fact its believed he used many small amps miced at a distant to get many of those classic tones.

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...ig-Sounds.aspx

This thread shows dozens of different amps.

http://wholelottaled.webs.com/amps.htm

He used a MKII Tone Bender Fuzz box which gave him his classic tone through just about any amp he used. http://wholelottaled.webs.com/effects.htm

Page: It's called a Tone Bender. I had somebody custom make it for me and I get 75% of my sound with it. It's very similar to a fuzzbox, but I can sustain notes for several minutes if I want to. It just has an on and off switch and it also has a fuzzy sound. It's not manufactured at all. A friend of mine made it by hand for me. (Ed note: guitarists interested in buying the "Jimmy Page Tonebender" may write to Gary Hurst, Macaris Musical Exchange, 100 Charing Cross Rd., London, W.C.2, England. the price is around $35.00).

• Members

I've been playing through a Mesa Boogie Subway Blues which is a 20 Watt EL84 amp with a single 10.

The amp has a halfpower speaker jack which essentially puts a power resistor in series with the speaker for a 10 Watt output. I use this amp for gigs at half power and festival FOH techs love me for it.

fetch?id=31275793

• Members

The Marshall tone has allot to do with the Tone Stack (EQ section of an amp) Power tubes can provide saturation when pushed but it has much less to do with tone then it does with the "grain" of the distortion. If power tubes are pushed with the right tone stack most power tubes will sound very similar until they begin to saturate and even then then they tend to flatten waves starting from the peaks down.

• Members

have you considered using 6V6 power amps instead of el34? there you can build a 12-15w amp using a marshallesque zone stack...

or you build an 5e3 deluxe with the right speaker it gets great tone, neil young use his for over 50 years now :)

• Moderators

Couple of things. One, SE might make the sound better than a stock Marshall, by increasing the second order harmonics. But better isn't authentic, so it might not be what you're looking for. Second, don't discount the contribution of the speaker to the final sound. A single 12" isn't going to sound the same as a 4x12, even if the driver is the same and the internal volume is, too.

Archived