Building a Flight Case

• Members

Hey guys, I need to build a flight case for my Egnater Renegade 112 and an Avatar extension cab for it. We'll be hitting the road shortly and I'd rather spend a little bit and protect these babies then have to deal with replacing them.

Do you know of a good supplier for flight case parts? Any tutorials or has anyone made these on the board before? Any help is appreciated.

• Members

I wouldn't think it would cost all that much.

Here's a few links related to building flight cases...

(Just from a quick Google search, I didn't look the sites over)

http://www.diyroadcases.com/

http://fuzzcraft.com/flightcasediy.html

Just as a VERY VERY rough guess and depending on the type of wood and other materials you use,

you could probably be able to build one for the combo for well under $100

Hell, probably do both for about $100.

But that's just a wild guess.

The padding is expensive. Last I checked, locally anyway

• Members

I wouldn't think it would cost all that much.

Here's a few links related to building flight cases...

(Just from a quick Google search, I didn't look the sites over)

Just as a VERY VERY rough guess and depending on the type of wood and other materials you use,

you could probably be able to build one for the combo for well under $100

Hell, probably do both for about $100.

But that's just a wild guess.

The padding is expensive. Last I checked, locally anyway

How much would 4 latches, 2 handles, 8 corners, valance, foam, wood and ABS cost from one of those places? Plus the glue and mounting hardware needed and any applicator(s)? This is all assuming you have all the proper tools to cut and install everything. Maybe it would be cheaper but I can't imagine it would be that much, especially when you factor in your time and the cost of either shipping or shopping for the materials and the quality and appearance of the final product.

• Members

Making it out of plywood would make it very heavy even with heavy duty wheels.

My Rack unit is made of plywood, I have it 3/4 of the way loaded and I cant get it off the ground by myself

Alan is right about the cost if you add all the corners latches and wheels.

Price them up a list of parts and you'll see there isnt much savings there and the quality of a DIY

wont be the same. The carbon fiber flight cases are light and worth the investment.

I'd try EBay or Craigs list and see if you can score a good used one.

• Members

Unless you got good woodworking skills and tools to cut and shape aluminum, I would recommend forking over the cash for something that's built nd built right.

Also, I'd recommend looking at SKB's molded cases. Very light, very resilient, and watertight to keep rain snow and flying beer off your amp:

1x12 Amp Utility Vehicle

1SKB-R112AUV

sku_view_image.php?id=432&role=image_alt

sku_view_image.php?id=432&role=image_alt

Combo amps are already heavy as hell. Why make it heavier with a plywood coffin? These cases are a professional's best friend for transport.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm bumping a way old thread, and I'm sure you've already done what you're going to do, but for future lurkers.... building your own cases, for me, was not the best option. The time it takes and cost of materials, I'd really much rather just have one made. They're not much more expensive, and most builders will still build them custom to your dimensions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's the thing about custom cases:

YOU are the best judge as to whether any case you order will fit your needs perfectly. I've seen plenty of examples where DIY is the right choice, and where manufacturers are doing what you need but better than you can do yourself.

Examples: I wanna make a very flat road case as our merch display. So I'm basically building a guitar case that would be large enough to hold a Gibson Explorer, but only 3" thick just to velcro our merch inside with prices and descriptions. Nobody really makes this, and I don't need super-duper strength. So I'm using 1/4" panel board, some dimensional lumber, air-powered stapler, and some spare steel corners and handles I have laying around.

However, for my bass rig, I grabbed an SKB US Roto case. It is far lighter than a big ol' plywood and metal road case, watertight, molded handles that are sturdy and secure, and light weight. Also, it's very light. I added a battery powered Taplight in the back, and rear rack rails just cuz. Have I mentioned it's very light? Cuz it's very light. HINT HINT!

Remember when you folks are pricing out the material costs of ordering aluminum profiles, corner brackets, angles, handles, rubber feet, and any of the dozens of nicknacks you can add to a rack, that SHIPPING GETS EXPENSIVE. Especially with long sections of aluminum profiles used to form the openings of lids or the hinges or the corners. Most of these web stores don't do free shipping on 6-ft aluminum pieces or the ABS laminate! You can price it all out, and then get stung with an extra $60 just to ship the big stuff.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

http://fuzzcraft.com/flightcasediy.html

This is the most comprehensive DIY Flight case/Road case guide I could find.  The quality looks great and is far less expensive if you don't mind spending time instead of money.  There are several places to buy parts the best prices I found (US) is: http://www.diyroadcasesstore.com  I believe this site was mentioned above.They also have a lot of good tips and design ideas.

Archived