Finally....

Mark L

• Members

It's taken a while but I think I prefer my PreSonus Studio One DAW over my beloved old Zoom 16-track

I'm in the middle of recording a new song, and before I started I had to decide whether to use the DAW or the multitrack. So I watched a few instructional videos on YouTube (including a few by Craig) and I went for the DAW

The more I use it, the more I understand (and am in awe of) the power of the thing! I didn't realise I'd enjoy working with it so much. I'm loving the ease of editing and the fact that I don't have to bounce tracks. I've discovered automation and plug-ins, too

A big thank-you, therefore, to those of you on here who have encouraged and cajoled me over the years to come over to the dark side, especially Mike Rivers, who first recommended that I try Studio One and who has the patience of a Saint :)

The 16-track is now enjoying a well-earned retirement...

• Members

eek.gif

Matthew 24:29-31:29 "Immediately after the distress of those days Mark L will embrace DAWs, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken. At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

• Members
I could not find that Bible passage in my concordance... :idk:

It's a fairly recent translation :0

Here's my brand new song, if anyone's interested. WARNING! Wearing headphones has started to give me headaches, so I mixed this using Sony earbuds. So if the mix sounds weird, have another listen through Sony earbuds :D

Railroad You

• Members

A couple of things…

1) Welcome to the DARK/DAW side…. I think you`ll find a new level of music making awaits you Mark. Just don`t let the damn learning curve hinder you`re creative flow. It might be wise to set aside time to just fool around with your DAW to learn some new concept.

2) I really like the song. The bottom end is surprising full and nicely balanced on my end. I would add a slight delay on the vocals just to thicken them up a bit (just on the chorus).

3) I like the drums a lot. What did you use? The programming is pretty much in line with the rest of the tune. You did a good job either programming or finding the right patterns.

Lastly, I always enjoy you singing your own tunes over anyone else. Your voice has a distinct sound to it that fits your songs perfectly and even though I know you don`t like to sing very much, I encourage you to sing even more. Hopefully one of these days we can work together!

EB

• Members

Thanks, Ernest :)

There is some delay on the vocals already. I just didn't want to overdo it

There's a drum plug-in that came with the DAW. It's called 'Impact'. The kit I chose is called 'Roomy Rock Kit'. Love those toms! I don't have a midi keyboard so I spent quite some time inputting individual notes on the piano-roll. Same with the bass. Nearly drove me to drink!!

As for working together - never say never...

• Members

That's an auspicious beginning in DAW-land...I like the "anthemic" quality of the "railroad you" parts. I can see a bunch of drunks singing along with it when it comes over the music system at a bar... :)

I would suggest a tiny bump around 3-4 kHz to give a little more "snap" to everything and a very slight high shelf boost starting at 5 kHz. In both cases I'm talking about only 1 dB, or two at the very most. The bottom end is fine as is.

• Members

Craig, I understood your first paragraph. Didn't really understand the second, though. My bad - I should really be au fait with that kind of terminology

By the way, this isn't the first time I've recorded anything with a DAW. It is, however, the first time I've actually enjoyed and relished it. This experience has finally convinced me that DAWs are my future and standalones are my past. I won't get rid of the 16-track, though. I'm quite attached to it. It's become a part of me

• Members
Craig, I understood your first paragraph. Didn't really understand the second, though. My bad - I should really be au fait with that kind of terminology

OMG!!! I found a beta tester for introductory articles! Stay tuned for the next post...luckily for you I know Studio One almost as well as I know SONAR.

Archived