That little faggot with the earring and the makeup isn't there anymore.

Super 8

• Members

I was listening to the radio in my car yesterday and "Money For Nothing" came on. They completely edited out the second verse about 'That little faggot with the earring and the makeup'. I never noticed this before. Is this a new thing, or have just not been paying enough attention?

I think they should have left it in.

Thoughts on the subject???

• Members

as usual.. its political correctness run amok.. now they are deleting words to old songs, because someone might get offended... horrors,,,

There's no "might" about it, people have been offended about it since the song came out. The point is that Knopfler was singing about some blue-collar guy's reaction to what he was seeing on Mtv. Knopfler wasn't taking personal shots at anyone, so the song was never an attack. And indeed, a lot of the bands on early Mtv looked like a bunch of androgynistic tarts. I remember reading something about Andy Warhol meeting Duran Duran for the first time and not being able to believe that there were actually all straight. It shouldn't be hard to imagine some big manly blue-collar guy being utterly perplexed by what he was seeing on Mtv. Didn't look much like Skynard or Sabbath, did they.

As far as it being "PC", I have to think it has more to do with the advertisers than with the 'thought police', but then why even play the song at all??? I mean, it's the best line in the whole tune, why edit it out now???

• Members

I am reminded of that great ROLLING STONE BOOK OF ROCK AND ROLL LISTS. Ever peruse that book?

One category is, "Songs We Can't Believe Passed The Censors".

There are a number of songs in music history with dicey phrases which somehow made it past the censors... i guess this song got "caught".

• Members

I think there always has been a radio version as well, but IMO :rolleyes: Like Craig said - it's part of the point of the lyrics.

What's interesting is the different reaction to a song sung in character compared to the way people handle movie or TV characters.

Knopfler sings that song in character - the lyrics are in the persona of the blue collar guy watching the glitz and glamor of MTV (when MTV still played music). And people worry about who's going to be upset by a word like faggot.

OTOH, Tony Soprano goes berserk and no one gets too wound out about it because everyone knows its a character being played by an actor.

But with music, people tend to recognize first person as the performer, not a character. Please. Was John Lennon really a walrus? Did Bob Marley or Eric Clapton really shoot the sheriff? Does Mark Knopfler think hair metal is teh ghey?

• Members

I am reminded of that great
ROLLING STONE BOOK OF ROCK AND ROLL LISTS
. Ever peruse that book?

One category is, "Songs We Can't Believe Passed The Censors".

There are a number of songs in music history with dicey phrases which somehow made it past the censors... i guess this song got "caught".

Reminds me of a Steven Tyler interview, where he said that early on, "Walk This Way" got kudos from some group for being a nice story about young romance. Tyler said "I guess they had no idea what 'Down on the muffin' was referring to."

• Members

Y'know, I'm a pretty PC guy and try not to offend people, but c'mon...it's part of the song, and part of the point!

im not PC at all... i think it is one of the worst things about this "new society". but i do agree with you on your second point of it being part of the song.

• Members

I think it's totally ignorant to delete the line. I don't believe "faggot" was one of George Carlin's seven dirty words. Besides, a station I listen to regularly doesn't edit out "Who the {censored} are you" from "Who Are You" and they also let "Don't give me that do goody good bull{censored}" and "Funky {censored} goin down in the city" go across the airwaves as well.

• Members

But with music, people tend to recognize first person as the performer, not a character. Please. Was John Lennon really a walrus? Did Bob Marley or Eric Clapton really shoot the sheriff? Does Mark Knopfler think hair metal is teh ghey?

True dat. In her excellent books on good lyric writing, Sheila Davis warns that lyricists must be careful when using sarcasm, not because it's necessarily offensive, but because listeners are likely to take it literally.

I am reminded of a great song, circa 1970, by Mama Cass Elliot called "Any Place But Here". [i think it's by Goffin/King, no slouches in the songwriting dept.] The opening strophe goes:

Call the village band out, bid me goodbye.

Ev'rybody stand outside and cry.

Never knew so many thought me so dear;

I'd be happy ANY PLACE BUT HERE.

Cass sings this verse with total sweetness and congruency; it's only by that final refrain line that you realize she is being bitterly sarcastic.

The second verse goes:

People in the city...leave you alone;

Ev'ry day is pretty much your own.

Then you are forced to backtrack a bit and confirm for yourself that indeed, she was being sarcastic in the first verse. She's a country girl who feels rejected by her small-town.

But I, for one, did not pick up on the sarcasm upon first listening. the song was not a big radio hit, and I'm quite sure that Sheila Davis would say it's exactly because the listener has been slightly misled by the opening approach...

I suppose the only way the listener knows that the singer is being sarcastic is if the lines are sung with real vituperative vitriol, Sex Pistols-style. Or if the song is heard within the context of a stage musical, so the situation has been pre-setup for you.

Sheila Davis also warns about so-called "sad-sack" records: in which the singer sings a song whose lyric implies no hope for a very bad situation. They can even kill a career! Think: Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again, Naturally" or Janis Ian's "At Seventeen". Davis sez it's OK to sing a blue, blue song, but there must be implicit in the lyric a glimmer of hope for tomorrow, suggesting that the singer has some sort of backbone. Remember that AIRPLANE! movie (Zucker/Zucker/Abrahams) in which a Linda Ronstadt clone is singing sad torch songs by a lounge piano.... after the lyric enumerates her many relationship woes, her final line is:

"So I guess I'm just.....................screwed." :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Members

I think it's totally ignorant to delete the line. I don't believe "faggot" was one of George Carlin's seven dirty words. Besides, a station I listen to regularly doesn't edit out "Who the {censored} are you" from "Who Are You" and they also let "Don't give me that do goody good bull{censored}" and "Funky {censored} goin down in the city" go across the airwaves as well.

There's definitely a radio version of "Jet Airliner" that says "Funky kicks goin' down in the city".

• Members

How 'bout:

Lou Reed's "...but she never lost her head, even when she was givin' head..."

....or Big Joe Turner's: "I'm like a one-eyed cat, a-peepin' in the seafood store..." (and in the 1950's, no less!)

Or The Eagles"; "Faster, faster! The lights are turnin' red."

I've never hard any of these phrases bleeped on the radio...

• Members

I can see I'm in the minority here, even though I think of myself as far right of PC. I like the tunes but didn't like any of those lyrics. Going back to 1969, I didn't like like the Jefferson Airplane lyrics in "We Can Be Together" either ("In order to survive we steal cheat lie forge f### hide and deal" and "Up against the wall m f").

• Members

I suppose the only way the listener knows that the singer is being sarcastic is if the lines are sung with
real
vituperative vitriol
, Sex Pistols-style.

Well see, the Sex Pistols come across as very real anti-establishment. Is Johnny Rotten only a character being played by John Lydon, or is John Lydon really an anarchist?

It's difficult because a lot of the power of rock music comes from the authenticity of the performer. And it's often very authentic; as far as we can tell Bob Dylan really believed the viewpoints espoused in his lyrics. Oar does he? ;)

• Members

as far as we can tell Bob Dylan really believed the viewpoints espoused in his lyrics. Oar does he?
;)

Let's just say: I have always found it a bit dubious when artists, born into and bred in the American middle-class, try to come off as being some kind of smokey, boozy, trashy street urchin, a-la Dylan, Springsteen, Rickie Lee Jones, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Tom Waits, et.al.

Hell, even Jagger attended the London School Of Economics.

I know: It's only rock 'n' roll. But it's phony.

There I said it. Let the arrows fly!

Archived