Why is there no power switch on this thing?

• Members

I just got a Soundcraft Compact 4 mixer for synth/DAW monitoring, and this thing has no power switch. It's a dandy little thing otherwise, but no switch! And the place where the power supply plugs in is in a deep recess, so it's no simple task to just plug and unplug the power supply. They had the foresight to remove the 'wart' from the wall (cords on both sides of the power supply, imagine that!), but forgot the power switch!

So my point, other than ranting: what can I do to fashion a switch on this thing? I will turn it on and off a lot, and this will quickly infuriate me.

• Members

I just got a Soundcraft Compact 4 mixer for synth/DAW monitoring, and this thing has no power switch. It's a dandy little thing otherwise, but no switch!

Must be a new trend, the Antares AVP-1 vocal processor doesn't have an on/off switch either. I believe the assumption is that you'll have it in a rack with a power conditioner which I do but it still seems like a lame excuse to save a couple bucks.

• CMS Author

Lots of things don't have a power switch. Why would you ever want to turn it on? ;)

Actually, the concept isn't so new. Since many people plug their gear into a switched outlet strip, they usually leave power switches on and just turn everything off with the one main switch. And you know how much it costs to add a switch that people aren't going to use anyway.

• Members

Probably lets them avoid problems with Underwriter's Labs
:)

:D :D :D

Yeah... I have more than a few pieces of gear with no power switch of, occasionally, no front panel switch.

In the old days, a lot of people didn't turn their gear off except for maintenance, in part to prevent heat-up/cool-down stress and enhance stability.

And... of course... because a lot of the gear didn't have power switches.

;)

Archived