FOW's Adam Schlesinger - songwriter for movies

• Moderators

Any Fountains of Wayne fan knows Adam Schlesinger wrote songs for "That Thing You Do". But what I didn't know...

I was watching Music & Lyrics last night. You know, the formula romantic comedy starring Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. You've all seen the commercial with Hugh Grant misreading Barrymore's lyrics. Some about a cloud instead of a clown above my bed?

As they write that lame song it starts hitting me. That's not really that lame. Actually, it's kind of touching, in a naive, innocent way. Then later Grant sings a pretty bad attempt at a love song and once again, the 80's cultural references with humor "...since Frankie Relaxed", etc. It all reflected some pretty clever writing. I liked it. Bear in mind these are supposed to be works in progress or bad attempts from a "has been" in the context of the story. But, like FOW, the clear willingness to embrace the cheesy brings charm, cleverness, and heart.

Adam Schlesinger. The guy kills me. He's good.

• Members

don't forget:

the josie n pussycats movie theme

crank yankers theme

there's something about mary

the howard stern tv theme

and coming to broadway soon... the "cry baby" musical version of the john waters film.

-d. gauss

• Members

Any Fountains of Wayne fan knows Adam Schlesinger wrote songs for "That Thing You Do".

I'm not a FOW fan, but his name was listed in the composer credits for that song (I nabbed the sheet music). I then googled his name and badabing!

Well? Try playing it in E at 132. ;) ;) ;)

Archived