Changing the pitch of a song

• Members

Is there any free software that can bump the pitch up a whole step on a WAV or MP3 file and not change the tempo? If there is such a thing but it's not free, mention it. I'd like to know if it can be done.

I mean a mixed song, music and vocals.

• Members

This one is cult, and for free:

Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch

http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

I just made a film soundtrack for an art performance where I stretched the track by the factor x16, plus tuning it down 1600 cents. I use it also for transcribing difficult music with exotic ornamentation, i.e. indian raga's. However I never used it to stretch just a halftone, it is as said for extreme sound stretch and detuning, and the program plays the processed sound in real time.

There are three modes:

The "Stretch" mode - may stretch up to 10,000 times

The "HyperStretch" mode - may stretch up to 1,000,000,000 times

The "Shorten" mode - it reduces the length of the sound

• Members

I can change keys in Pro Tools without changing the tempo, but most of the time it dosen't sound very good, espesially the Bass and Elec Keyboards suffer the most. ????

Recently someone was over with some Karaoke tracks and I tried to pitch change them in PT and we had better luck using their Karaoke machine and just grabing an output out of that into PT.

???? Surly PT can beat the sound of a Karaoke mach can't it ????

Anybody else with experience on this ???

Russ

Nashville

• Moderators

I can change keys in Pro Tools without changing the tempo, but most of the time it dosen't sound very good, espesially the Bass and Elec Keyboards suffer the most. ????

Recently someone was over with some Karaoke tracks and I tried to pitch change them in PT and we had better luck using their Karaoke machine and just grabing an output out of that into PT.

???? Surly PT can beat the sound of a Karaoke mach can't it ????

Anybody else with experience on this ???

Russ

Nashville

I assume you were using the old DigiRack timestretch plugin? The new free one is pretty good. It's no Serato, which is fabulous, but it is much better than I would have expected. If you haven't yet, check it out.

• Members

Audacity will also do this - "change pitch" in the Effects menu (after doing Project->Import Audio to bring in the mp3). Then save it off as an mp3 (File->Export As MP3). You do have to download an mp3 encoder separately but they have instruction in their FAQs on how to get the LAME encoder.

WOW! I had forgotten about this feature. I already have Audacity.

It worked! I changed a song from C# to C. It was a stereo WAV file where we recorded all live... keyboard playing bass and drums and guitar and then we played an acoustic guitar and a harmonica, plus vocal over the top of that.

For my purposes, I suppose this will work fine. I need to try one where I change it more than one half step and see what happens.

Thanks!

• Members

I assume you were using the old DigiRack timestretch plugin?

Lee, the one I'm talking about is just in PT AudioSuite "Pitch Shift" is there another one on Digi's site that works better ???

Russ

Nashville

• Moderators

Hey Thanks Lee,

I downloaded it, but haven't installed it yet.

Do you know if it will work with
PT 6.9
???

Russ

Nashville

Ahh. No it won't. I actually upgraded to 7.3 so I could use it. It's real strenth by the way, is drum editing or pocketing. Slice and slide a late hit back in time. Slice just after the previous transient. Time stretch that section under the corrected note. Crossfade. In this scenario, it's almost perfect. Near Serato quality.

• Members

Audacity Mac/Win/Linux) is a free download, and for repitching a song for the purpose of learning/singing in a different key will work fine--within limits (i.e., don't expect to shift it 7 semitones without some artifacts).

It has to expand MP3s into WAVs to edit them first; but that only takes it a few seconds, and they also provide a download so that you can recompress to MP3 format.

It's quite a handy little program for many purposes, even for those of us who have more full-featured DAWs.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Archived